User Tag List

Thread: MPS Hydrolocked?

Default MPS Hydrolocked?

Car was filthy so I went to an Automatic car wash. For the first time ever I chose the "Under body" car program.

Turned car off after initial underbody program (cant stop through this phase, must slowly move untill inside) . Car started fine and off I drove. Car drove fine at part throttle but cut badly once I tried to build boost, threw a CEL also.

I babied the car home and checked the CAI to find some water inside, I proceeded to remove water as best possible and reset ecu. Once again the car started and drove fine untill I tried to get on boost and the same thing happened - Cut and CEL( building boost but low rpm , 3-3.5k?). I should mention the the maf was bit wet so I removed and cleaned with contact cleaner when removing the small amount of water in the " U " of the cai.

HELP

Could water be in the ETS TMIC also?? Surely the car would not start or run if hydrolocked?
    08 VW GTI PIRELLI DSG - 1 OF 400
    S3 HEART WITH 229 kw OF APR GOODNESS

SOLD - 06 MPS3 / CPE CAI / CPE HKS BOV / CPE HV2 BELLMOUTH DUMP & METALLIC CAT / CPE MOUNT / COBB SUSPENSION / DBA SLOTTED ROTORS C/W HAWKS PADS

From my experience if there is any moisture at all in the air filter the engine will cut badly and throw CEL's. I've experienced the exact same effects you've described when driving in rain got the filter wet, after going to the car wash, and after washing the filter but not letting it dry completely.

From your description I don't think you're hydro locked, there would be horrible broken engine noises if you were. Just let it dry out completely and try again.
    Last edited by kmh001; 31-03-2009 at 10:24 PM.

It certainly wouldnt start or run if it was hyrdolocked...you would bend a rod.

Could it be vapour lock....this will cause stalling etc..

Happy Motoring
    duglet

The filter issue sounds plausable. IF the filter is soaked the car would struggle to draw air through when trying to build boost. Pity its a ****er to remove the filter.

It doesn't need to be soaked at all. Just a few water molecules getting near the MAF sensor will make the car run like a dog.

ohh well. off comes the rim - plastic guard - cai. I guess this is where the positives of a sri come to play

I had the same issue with my cx7 the other day with all the rain we've been having. I was looking into one of these

http://www.mpsgarage.com.au/shop/pro...re-filter.html

Has anyone got one?? Do the help??

Quote Originally Posted by 60TGO View Post
    I had the same issue with my cx7 the other day with all the rain we've been having. I was looking into one of these

http://www.mpsgarage.com.au/shop/pro...re-filter.html

Has anyone got one?? Do the help??
    I've got one for my CPE CAI, AFE filter, has been on for a year and no problems yet (touching wood now) mind you I tend to avoid driving through large puddles or rivers and in Perth we don't get some of the torrential downpours that you get elsewhere. I've heard of a few guys here who've put in a splash guard to cover the vents on the inside of the front wheel arch on the 6 MPS, not sure what the set-up is for the CX? Hope this helps.
    Cheers
    Chris
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

Thanks

i got one today on my maz3, car wouldnt rev past 3500 rpm
    and i was on my way to my exam aswell!!!!

tried to dry it off as best i could before the drive home after the exam, but cos its a CAI its really hard to get to...just gonna wait it out till the rain dies down and see if its dryed up...otherwise i'll have to take the wheel, the guard and the then the pod...waste of f***n time...should probs get one of those shield things like you christoff

Quote Originally Posted by Razor View Post
    i got one today on my maz3, car wouldnt rev past 3500 rpm
    and i was on my way to my exam aswell!!!!

tried to dry it off as best i could before the drive home after the exam, but cos its a CAI its really hard to get to...just gonna wait it out till the rain dies down and see if its dryed up...otherwise i'll have to take the wheel, the guard and the then the pod...waste of f***n time...should probs get one of those shield things like you christoff
    Hey Clayton mate, pain about the hydrolock hope there is no lasting damage! The little stocking thing from MPS garage seems to work have had no probs in this weather today and it is raining dogs and cats!
    Chris
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

I use one of those cheap plastic, chrome painted 'half covers' from Supercheap. I think it was $10. 2 years on, no problems.

hey chris i got the aem cai in my car, but not sure which shield thing to get cos there isnt one on Revolution Motosports for the AEM CAI, u got the CPE yeh, is it just a cover thing that slides over it. will the CPE fit the aem pod filter?
    I found out today that the water was gettin throo three slits in the wheel guard that were made on the car from stock to send air throo to the engine...but since i lowered my car recently, the water seems to shoot from my wheel throo the holes/slits into the pod filter on the other inside...i never had any problems in the rain before lowering so just wonderin what any1 else has done if theyve been in this position...

Hey Clayton, is your car ok? More rain today in Perth. I've got to clean my filter soon, so will measure the CPE cover when I do this!

For anyone who has problems with water entering their CAI, I've posted a DIY fix here

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/how-t...html#post41125
    Last edited by shakespeare; 26-07-2009 at 01:20 AM.

16. Default

Short ram pods are the way to go. I never liked the Mazdaspeed CAI (and similar ones) that put the filter down in the wheel well, and I think this is why Mazda stopped selling the mazdaspeed one.

Quote Originally Posted by Wardski View Post
    Short ram pods are the way to go. I never liked the Mazdaspeed CAI (and similar ones) that put the filter down in the wheel well, and I think this is why Mazda stopped selling the mazdaspeed one.
    My Mazdaspeed CAI is set up as an SRI, and will prob keep it that way.

Can't remember the exact reason for the withdrawl of the Mazdaspeed kit, was something to do with emissions/airflow probs and CEL's in certain conditions when using it (mainly freezing temps). Way more info about it on the US sites.

I've had the problem that the OP posted, turned out to be a wet filter in my case...dried the filter out, reset the CEL's using the Scangauge and all was good.

18. Default

Agreed danski. The only time i've ever thrown a cell in my beast was a couple of times where water went into the exhaust pipe during a wash (bl00dy HP washer). The water got as far as the rear O2 sensor (cuz my driveway is on a slope down to the door) and threw a cell straight away... Ended up killing the sensor too, after the 2nd time. Now when I wash any car, I plug up the exhaust pipe(s) with an old rag - which blows out the back when I crank her up!