User Tag List

Thread: St George Tyres

Default St George Tyres

Hi all,

I just thought id share my experience with you from my recent transaction at St George Tyres here in Sydney.

It comes across as a bit of a backyard operation but I checked out their new workshop while I was there and its going to be a pretty impressive fit out.

To be honest though my reason for being there was price. After doing the usual ring around and researching different makes and models, I settled on Kumho KU31s for the street and Toyo RA1s for the track. They had both sets in stock and fitted and balanced the lot for $1300. $135 for the Kumhos and $190 for the Toyos. I stuck with the OEM; 225/40/18 for both sets.

My initial thoughts on the Kumhos are that they are an impressive tyre. We have had a bit of rain around since Friday (9/12) so I had a chance on the weekend to put them through their paces. There is plenty of grip and no noticeable increase in road noise.

On Friday (16/12) I am heading out to Wakefield with MRT so I’ll swap them over for the Toyos and post an update with my thoughts.

TK

Yeah, looks dodgy as all hell, but the price is right

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Price is good but whoever there looks after their eBay communications needs to learn a little about customer service.

Q. What offset are these wheels?
    A. They fit all VW.
    Q. I asked what offset they are, not if they fit.
    A. They fit.
    Q. I know they might fit, but I want to know if they fit correctly (then went into slight detail about standard offsets)
    A. They fit. Do you want these wheels or not? Stop wasting my time (then got a little abusive)
    Q. I'm not being arrogant, I'm just asking if you can tell me the the offset of these wheels?

No reply.

Turns out that because of the spoke shape they wouldn't have fitted anyway.

But as long as you don't need to talk to them, its a great place for cheap tyres.

A+++ for customer service

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    price is good but whoever there looks after their ebay communications needs to learn a little about customer service.

A. They fit all vw.
    A. They fit.
    Q. I know they might fit, but i want to know if they fit correctly (then went into slight detail about standard offsets)
    a. They fit. Do you want these wheels or not? Stop wasting my time (then got a little abusive)
    q. I'm not being arrogant, i'm just asking if you can tell me the the offset of these wheels?

No reply.

But as long as you don't need to talk to them, its a great place for cheap tyres.
    lol...
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

6. Default

Sorry to be bearer of bad news but the reason why their tyres are soo cheap is that its because they are al out of date, way past the 6 year shelf life...just have a read of the fine print on their ebay items....

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Genie View Post
    Sorry to be bearer of bad news but the reason why their tyres are soo cheap is that its because they are al out of date, way past the 6 year shelf life...just have a read of the fine print on their ebay items....
    Thats not true at all, they list the date on their website of the tyres and they can be verified on the tyre wall before you decide to purchase
    Taken my boring, bland, lame Subaru and my fat ass and driven off into the sunset with a smile on my face

I bought Pirellis from these guys a while ago (thanks Mel) and they weren't old stock.

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    Price is good but whoever there looks after their eBay communications needs to learn a little about customer service.

A. They fit all VW.
    A. They fit.
    Q. I know they might fit, but I want to know if they fit correctly (then went into slight detail about standard offsets)
    A. They fit. Do you want these wheels or not? Stop wasting my time (then got a little abusive)
    Q. I'm not being arrogant, I'm just asking if you can tell me the the offset of these wheels?

No reply.

Yeah, it sounds like you spoke to Bill. I had the pleasure of chatting to him initially to confirm he had my size in stock (it seems nobody does) and he promptly told me that he has over 20,000 tyres in stock and cant remember them all. When I got down there though I caught one of the owners and although he looks like he looks like he should be dealing in something other than tyres, he was actually pretty helpful. I just cant remember his name.

---------- Post added at 06:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:01 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Genie View Post
    I thought there must be something wrong with them too, but I checked their manufacture date and they are 1111. They are also made in Japan. The owner was boasting about 3 containers which were due to arrive before Christmas so unless they are rip offs I think im in the clear.

Track tyres were awesome. The track its self was pretty ordinary. Very dusty and green. Regardless, they are the best best bang for your buck mod I have done so far. Too bad my turbo let go and spoilt my afternoon.

TK

11. Default

Hi there my names Alex and Im from St George Tyres. Ive read all comments and would like to let you all no if you have any inquires please feel free to pm me and I will be more than happy to help with prices fittings etc.
    I hope you all had a fabulous New Year and 2012 is a good year for you all.