User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do performance car buyers care about fuel efficiency?

Blog Entries

Default Do performance car buyers care about fuel efficiency?

The man responsible for developing the new Golf GTI says fuel efficiency matters to people who buy hot hatches.

Senior VW engineer Rolf Trump has defended Volkswagen’s decision to focus on improving the GTI’s fuel consumption rather than its straight-line performance.

The new Golf is no quicker in the 0-100km/h sprint than the current model, but fuel consumption is down by 11 per cent on the manual and a little less on the double-clutch transmission.

Trump says the move is the “responsible” thing to do in the current climate of global warming.

And he says GTI owners will appreciate the improvement, because for 90 per cent of the time, they want their car to behave as efficiently as any normal car.

Power in the new Golf has increased by a modest 8kW to 155kW, but Trump isn’t worried about being left behind in the power war, despite the fact that the new GTI is out-powered by most of its competitors.

Subaru’s WRX, Mitsubishi’s Ralliart Lancer, the Mazda3 MPS, Renault Megane RS, HSV VXR and Ford Focus XR5 all comfortably shade the new GTI in the power stakes.

But Trump argues that a lack of power never hurt the previous generation GTI and won’t hurt the new one. He says Volkswagen is uninterested in chasing extra straight-line performance for the sake of it.

He’s also criticised competitors who try to channel too much power through the front wheels of their cars.

He says there’s no point in having heaps of power if the car’s electronics are constantly intervening and cutting the power to keep the car under control.

You have to admit there’s some sound logic in that argument. You also can’t argue with the success of the GTI formula. It’s never been the fastest car in a straight line or the sharpest through corners, but it has a balance between comfort and performance that has struck a chord with buyers.

What do you think? Does the GTI run the risk of being left behind as its competitors keep increasing power? Or do you think the formula of a “liveable” hot hatch will become even more popular in the current climate?
    Source: Drive Auto Blog.
    2014 Mk7 Golf R | DSG | Reflex Silver | Leather | Drive Assist | Bi-Xenon Headlights
    1981 Lincoln Town Car | Auto | 80s Cream | 90s brown interior | 5.0L V8 | Currently no working headlights

NO

I think the Golf GTI will always have a market no matter how much power it has...

Its in a place after 6 generations...where the name exceeds the car.

It isnt the best at most things...but has the balance that the buyers want.

Its always the best selling hatch in its class <hot hatch> and it isnt the cheapest.

Why do ppl buy it???? NO idea...

But good on VW for improving the fuel economy of the car.

Other makers just have different agendas.

Happy Motoring
    duglet

4. Default

tbh most the time I dont even notice what the price of fuel is, I just fill up, who cares it only makes a couple of dollars difference for a full tank regardless of what it costs or what your fuel economy is ... drive the car the way u want cause u love it not how much fuel it uses

I totally agree..

Fuel consumption wasnt high on my list when I bought the 3MPS even with only 98RON.

I did own a 1.4L barina before...which was great on fuel.

You buy the car usually becoz you love it....not how much it costs in fuel.

Seriously its about an extra $10 a week difference...and if you drive the car in a less *spirited* manner...its almost as good on fuel as most other 4cyl.

Happy Motoring
    duglet

I'm concious of it but don't really worry about it. If my car sucked down 25l/100km I'd probably be more concerned...

The only benefit of having a hot hatch with better fuel economy is that it could be helpful in keeping the wife happy...

Blog Entries

I reckon it does. If it didn't I'd have bought an RX-8 an not given a whit that it chews 30% more fuel. I really was tossing up between them and between ~10K or so price difference and fuel consumption, the MPS3 won out.

Nope never concerned me I buy cars because I like them at the time not the juice they use.

Not fussed...

11. Default

Spend my time trying to figure out how to smash more fuel into it
    Last edited by Cosmic3MPS; 31-03-2009 at 08:03 PM.

12. Default

If your worried about fuel consumption catch a bus. If you want to have a vehicle that has power & can rip down a road.BURN it up who cares.

Meh...who cares about fuel when you can fly ....
    Seriously fuel consumption isnt high on my list ....if i cared about fuel id cath a bus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
    I reckon it does. If it didn't I'd have bought an RX-8 an not given a whit that it chews 30% more fuel. I really was tossing up between them and between ~10K or so price difference and fuel consumption, the MPS3 won out.
    Actually fuel consumption was a justification, not a true reason, buty it did come into it... In one sense it was front drive rocket vs rear drive handling and balance, too.

Blog Entries

For me it was a bit of both. I cared about it to an extent. If I really didn't care, I would have got a V8 or an EVO...but I thought 10L/100km was a bit of a happy medium.

Although, the only time I get that is when I'm on the highway!

Quote Originally Posted by armthehomeless View Post
    For me it was a bit of both. I cared about it to an extent. If I really didn't care, I would have got a V8 or an EVO...but I thought 10L/100km was a bit of a happy medium.

Gotta agree there.
    I bought the MPS as a happy compromise between what I wanted, and what everyone told me I should get.
    I had my sights on a 6ltr SS-V Wagon, but the price of fuel almsot doubled so I looked at something smaller. Didn't want to go limp-wristed driving a completely fuel-efficient car, so I test-drove the MPS...and the rest is history!!!!

I still miss my V8, but at least I've got my HQ Monaro for that fix!

Doesn't bother me too much.. Price you pay for having a fun car to drive..

For me it was a balance of performance, overall features and looks, economy was a distant fourth, however I did cringe a bit when fuel was north of $1.50 a litre. 2 years on I am still happy with what it drinks vs what it delivers

Quote Originally Posted by duglet View Post
    I
    Its in a place after 6 generations...where the name exceeds the car.
    Hit the nail on the head

---------- Post added at 08:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 AM ----------

In my case I didnt even bother asking or looking at the MPS fuel comsuption, wanted so bad to get an MPS3 since late 2005 that when the opportunity finally came I couldnt care less.
    CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

Quote Originally Posted by zippymps3 View Post
    Nope never concerned me I buy cars because I like them at the time not the juice they use.
    So true for me too.

Quote Originally Posted by armthehomeless View Post

My wife has a VY SS and I had an SP20. I must have been sub-conciously jealous, so I traded the SP for my MPS. The SS was such a bucket after that and it became a part of my history. She still misses the noise though.
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast