User Tag List

Thread: Would my car look silly if...

Default Would my car look silly if...

I want to lower my MPS6, but not too low. I was looking at King Springs as they only lower 30mm, however I think they sit a bit too low in the rear for what I want.

Looking at the catalogue for "Low", King suggests KMFL-25HD for the front and KMRL-26SL for the rear of an MPS6 (I assume SL means Super Low). Looking at the regular Mazda6 sedans, they list KMRL-26 as the "Low" option.

Would the car look silly using KMRL-26 instead of KMRL-26SL in the rear? I called them up and he said it would look silly because the rear would be sitting higher than standard and the front would be low. I thought that the MPS had the same ride height as the standard 6, but uprated springs and shocks? If that is the case, KMRL-26 should still be a drop, just less dramatic. I used to have a car that sat a bit lower in the front and it looked nice.

The only possible problem would be the self-levelling headlights.

If it helps, have a look in my rides thread. There should be a few side images which I won't post whore here.
    That might give you an idea. Yeah I think it might look a bit silly. I'd recommend "low" front and rear

Thanks, I'll have a look the only thing is, King list the "SL" part number as the Low option for MPS6 in their catalogue

I can't remember the part # for mine. I don't know if the "SL" means super low as there is SL in the part number for other vehicles in the "low" column

The SL doesn't refer to super low. I was talking to rog about this just recently before I ordered my MPS6 springs from them. Lows are the only option (-30mm). Normal Mazda6 springs are no good.

It doesn't mean Super Low for this model but it would for others with the same preceding part number (ie. Normal Mazda6 springs). The part number is KMRL-26 for regular Mazda6 and 26SL for MPS - which means King M (don't know) Rear Low, like the front for MPS6 is King M Front Low 25 Heavy Duty, and the standard height springs for other cars KMFS and KMRS, Front or Rear Standard.

We also have an '08 Lancer which is lowered on Lovells springs (different I know), the rear springs are listed as Low however the part number references Super Low as it uses a spring originally developed as a Super Low spring for the previous model.

I'd imagine the KMRL26SL is listed as a standard Low for MPS but would be a Super Low for regular Mazda6.

My point is that I believed the MPS had a different spring and damper rate over the standard model, but the same ride height. If this is the case, the KMRL26 should still provide some drop over standard but not to the extent of the KMRL26SL.

I actually like the look of rogwick's car and it especially looks good being white, with black wheels and clean. But I probably don't want mine so low in the back because of the driving I do (the Lancer sits down in the back a similar amount and rides very hard, that car would be the one thing turning me off lowering ever again). The main reason I want to lower the front is to improve the wheel allignment, otherwise I'll probably get a bush kit from Fulcrum.

KMFL - King, Mazda, Front, Low.

KSRL - King, Subaru, Rear, Low.

SL usually means 1 stage lower than low. They have L, SL, SSL and even SSSL.

EG: For a Commodore, a 6 cylinder can use the SSSL to get the lowest look, but, a V8 will only use SSL to get the same height.

So Troy do you think it would work to put KMRL26 in the rear instead of SL (even though that is listed as the low spring for MPS), and would it look odd?

What ever you decide, it's important to have the front and rear spring rates matched or risk introducing evil handling characteristics. Because when you change the relativity between front and rear spring rates on a car that has neutral balance, you will change the tendency to under steer or over steer depending on which way around you've changed it. There is also the likelihood of additional problems with dive and squat, particularly in a car with strong brakes like the MPS.

With the MPS being heavier than a regular 6 the springs also need to be heavier to achieve the same result in terms of ride height and stiffness. Imagine this scenario as an example; you've gone with softer springs in the front (relative to what's gone into the rear) so you now have an over steering tendency, coupled with excessive dive under hard braking, the car is likely to want to spin everytime you point it at a corner. A car like that could be unsafe, particularly in the rain.

In a nutshell, it's more important to get the spring rates right. When you're working with off the shelf products the ride height is somewhat secondary and you often have to accept what you get - in my case I've had to accept a ride height that I'm not too happy with in order to get the handling that I want. The only real alternative is to have custom springs made up. So unless you're intersted in experimenting I'd recommend buying springs as a matched set. The King MPS kit sounds like a safe bet because they work well as a set and take the complication out of the situation. Good luck with the decision.
    Last edited by kmh001; 09-12-2011 at 09:48 AM.

Gone to Volvo

Quote Originally Posted by andy b View Post
    I actually like the look of rogwick's car...but I probably don't want mine so low in the back because of the driving I do
    Andy, this is mine with King Springs low (rear shot) you mave have seen on my thread but figured a repost might be worthwhile if anyone is in the same boat and would like to see the rear on Kings low.
    I've never been a rear passenger in my car but I don't think it's hard and uncomfortable ride. Actually as far as ride comfort goes, I'm pretty happy at the end of the day. Humps and bumps aren't too bad like many lowered cars I've seen

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

That does look good rog, I saw a picture of a silver one (like mine) and it looked like it was a bit lower in the back, and I wasn't a fan of the look. I also have 225/45R18 and I wonder if it will scrape the guards if I lower it.

Mal, I was told by the bloke at King Springs that the rates are the same it's just a height difference.

Who knows, if I go up to the Gold Coast for holidays I might see Troy and get a bushing kit fitted!