User Tag List

Thread: PLX WIFI and Dash Command

Default PLX WIFI and Dash Command

Hey All, just sharing some not so successful experiences with PLX Wifi, Dash Command and an Ipad.

When I first came across DashCommand, I really though it would be a top app as it's designed for Ipad. I went hunting for an OBD port reader and an Ipad mount.

AS most have experienced here, the Blutooth ELM's don't work on Apple devices, so it took a while and i lashed out on a PLX Wifi.

If you read the blurbs on the PLX and Dashcommand sites, they both rave how compatible they are.

And they might be, but not in my car.

I set up the PLX on my IPAD with IP address 192.168.0.11, then subnet mass 255.255.255.0

The Ipad finds it's, connects no worries.

But Dashcommand won't connect. Worryingly, nor does REV Lite.

Of cource when you go to the forums of either of the 2 sites, there are A LOT of people complaining about both.

Anyway's I'll keep researching, but I'm interested to hear other peoples adventures with this type of thing...

I could just sell the Ipad, PLX and cough up for a Cobb AP when they arrive, but do they have iBooks?

some pics...

Last edited by Yeldarb; 05-12-2011 at 10:20 PM.
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

Try turning off (or disconnecting from) your home wifi network if you're doing it sitting in your driveway. I usually don't bother connecting to my OBD reader until i've driven around the corner, the iPad/phone will get confused by the presence of 2 networks.

Also, fuk off DashCommand, fuk it right off before it fuks your car up. That program has some BAD JuJu going on. Just use REV.
    Last edited by Reedy; 05-12-2011 at 10:36 PM.

Yeah, I saw your post. Just hard to get rid of something that cost $60!!!

Yea it would be nice if iTunes had a 1 day refund policy or something, especially when the software is completely broken.

mine works fine

check if the IP's aren't conflicting? i use FuzzyCar and Rev both work great

Ooh fuzzycar is only $5 as well, I wonder if THAT will log fuel pressure..... Rev, DashCommand and others have all failed to do so with my car. Only one that's worked is Cton's scanner and logworks which only works with their hardware.

yeah, saw fuzzy car. Will have to try it and someone else's car as well. If that all fails, maybe the PLX is faulty.

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    Ooh fuzzycar is only $5 as well, I wonder if THAT will log fuel pressure..... Rev, DashCommand and others have all failed to do so with my car. Only one that's worked is Cton's scanner and logworks which only works with their hardware.
    If someone can find software that works in this way and does log fuel pressure I'm in! That's the only thing that's stopped me buying a Kiwi PLX WiFi and software
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

can you enter custom PID's?

if so, try this:
    Fuel Pressure
    OBD2 PID: 0123
    Long Name: FP
    Short Name: FP
    Minimum Value: 0
    Maximum Value: 2500
    Scale Factor: x1
    Unit Type: %
    Equation: (A*256+B)*10*.145
    works for me

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    can you enter custom PID's?

if so, try this:

works for me
    Thanks Sam. You use Torque, right?

There is a PID for fuel pressure. But may be different for the Mazda.
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

99% certain it's different from Gen I to Gen II, but hell it's worth a shot

Hell yeah....

Quote Originally Posted by Yeldarb View Post
    Thanks Sam. You use Torque, right?

There is a PID for fuel pressure. But may be different for the Mazda.
    Yeah, torque
    The fuel pressure pid it comes with doesn't work, this one seems to

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Blog Entries

Dashcommand should read and log just about anything. Mine does. Here's the thing though : PC software compatibility and hardware flexibility is good. IOS iphone/ipad is not. I wouldn't use an IOS device or android for this. There's too many points of failure that won't have a work around.

Bluetooth and wireless OBD is shit - high latency, low bandwidth. 802.11 should be better but a direct USB connection is best.

Happy to have a look and see if I can help if still having trouble. I've been logging fuel pressure for ages, I'm surprised people are STILL having trouble finding what they need to do it.

---------- Post added at 06:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:25 PM ----------

Happy to demonstrate a fully functional dashcommand doing everything that is being stated here that it can't do.
    Fuel pressure? Boring! There is very little I can't read from the ECU. 90% of the mazda proprietary PID, which includes things like air conditioning compressor duty cycle.
    Want more still? Get a professional license.

I bluntly don't believe that the product is as poor as suggested below, because I've been using it and it does everything it is advertised to. It's had maybe one minor bug that I've encountered in a couple of years and more of ownership.

It's not perfect but it is very capable and I think some of the users here probably need to read the manuals more before throwing the towel in
    Last edited by Nexus; 06-12-2011 at 06:34 PM.
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Michelin PS5 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - Corksport turbo manifold - HT 98 octane tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - Bespoke Raspberry Pi Android based GPS/Carplay and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold.

for those of us just wanting basic real time (every 0.3s for me..) they work pretty well
    i can get enough data from it to see what car is doing

Blog Entries

0.3sec is pretty good for a bluetooth interface. You'll find the more bandwidth you try to consume (more logging) - for me ALL the interesting stuff leads to latencies closer to a second and more over bluetooth. That DOESN'T include air conditioning duty cycles and the like

802.11 I would expect to be a little problematic to set up. MAC addresses, promiscuous capabilities, lots of things about your config could impact it. I'd suggest seeing if you can get it working with an alternative to the ipad first - something more flexible such as a pc. Just checking that the WAN works appropriately and the device can communicate over WAN. Then try the ipad, which should be simpler really.

I'm not thrilled by the quality of ipad applets I've needed to setup in production configurations. People like having their security cameras accessible from their ipad but the compatibility with all the different devices out there is pretty shit, even though there is a supposed standard for these things.

Similarly... anyway, not an ipad user myself, apart from minimal IOS support for work. Although ipad applet quality seems to be hit and miss, I really don't expect dashcommand to be anywhere near as shit as it sounds in discussion. I'd be interested in testing 802.11 interface, myself.
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Michelin PS5 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - Corksport turbo manifold - HT 98 octane tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - Bespoke Raspberry Pi Android based GPS/Carplay and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold.

UPDATE FOR APPLE.

One thing this thread didn't answer: Fuzzycar does log fuel pressure in my Gen II. But it doesn't store log files, you need to view it from within the app itself which isn't ideal, but it's the only iPhone app ive found that logs fuel rail pressure.