User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: so I have a blown turbo. MPS6 116,000kms

Default so I have a blown turbo. MPS6 116,000kms

on Monday I broke down on the pacific highway near gosford and had to get towed home, clutch pedal went in and wouldn't come out. Ordered new seal kits for the master cylinder and slave cylinder... should be straightforward.

Anyway, today I was removing the intercooler to get better access to the heat shielding and what should I see? Black slick on the turbo outlet with a hint of creamy white. I've not noticed any smoking so its obviously not completely screwed but looks like It will have to be replaced.

Is everyone pretty much going the BNR route these days? They're from the states aren't they?

BNR is from the US, yes. Buy direct. It's the best outcome.

Stage 1 or stage 3 are the best options IMO.

And what are your thoughts on still driving the car until I can save up or borrow the $950?

Blown turbos can be fine, but, can be trouble.

If the seals aren't gone, it may be possible something else is causing the oil issue.

Be wary, the blades could be touching the insides of the turbo, causing small amounts of metal to go through the engine. Possible it could be fine too.

Could it be oil from the engine breather system?

Put it this way, I've had the intercooler off a few times before and I've never seen black slick all through it. I don't think the seals are completely gone but they're obviously on their way. Guess I'd like to be sure before I go spend $950 on a new turbo though

I don't think you'd go wrong with a BNR though, they seem to have a good reputation. The only thing to factor in to your cost, is either sending your own or another second hand turbo over to BNR, or paying the core charge

If I got stage 3 can I run the stock ECU tune without any dramas? If I had the cash I'd do a manifold upgrade while I was at it.

Guess I have to factor in the cost of new gaskets, etc... too

If you're worried about saving up $950, don't bother with the stage 3, just replace like with like or stage 1 it. Stage 3 will need a tune.

10. Default

Sounds to me you like you will spending the $ on a clutch if you haven't done it yet. The creamy white could be ground up compressor blade or water mixing with the oil.

I've done the clutch and flywheel about 12 months ago with the ACT kit. The pedal is stiffer and I think that's probably why I ended up splitting the flexible clutch line last Monday and had to get towed home
    Got the brake/clutch shop to make me up a stainless steel braided replacement and the pedal now feels much smoother and I think maybe a little less stiff if that's possible. So if anyone else installs a stiffer clutch.. make sure you replace the rubber line with a stainless one to save yourself headaches down the track.

Of course I only found the split in the line after I'd replaced the slave cylinder seal haha. It wasn't leaking, just letting in air and I was scratching my head trying to figure out why I had no pedal pressure and no leaking!

I'm going to probably bite the bullet and do stage 3 BNR turbo + catless DP + FMIC + Forge BPV + turbo inlet + cold air intake + trip to Tunehouse in Sydney all one hit.
    Just to be safe I'll replace all 3 engine mounts and the two diff mounts while I'm at it.

Anyone seen / heard about this? (cheap stainless DP) Mazdaspeed 6 Stainless Downpipe Exhaust Down Pipe
    Hmm maybe the fuel pump will need upgrading with all those mods too :/

cant run catless (legally) in australia, just as a FYI...

If you're in Sydney, I believe Tunehouse do their own DP, or you could get one made up at Best Mufflers, I've spoken to the guy there and at least one member on here has one from there.

Oh yeh sounds interesting, any idea on $$$?
    Guess the only thing is I don't really want to pay labour for fitting it when I could do it myself and save the cash, especially if I'm already swapping the turbo... easier to do it all at once in go.

When my investment property sells hopefully just after Xmas, I should have a mods budget of about $5k

Not sure about the Tunehouse, but from memory the Best Mufflers one was around $1800 fitted. The Best Mufflers one is custom made that is why he fits them, and I would imagine the Tunehouse option would be the same. You could talk to both of them about fitting the turbo - surely that can't cost you any extra to fit and might even make fitting the DP easier.

If you haven't already bought a BNR, you could try Tunehouse as I think they may do turbo rebuilds as well.

Quote Originally Posted by andy b View Post
    Not sure about the Tunehouse, but from memory the Best Mufflers one was around $1800 fitted. The Best Mufflers one is custom made that is why he fits them, and I would imagine the Tunehouse option would be the same. You could talk to both of them about fitting the turbo - surely that can't cost you any extra to fit and might even make fitting the DP easier.

If you haven't already bought a BNR, you could try Tunehouse as I think they may do turbo rebuilds as well.
    the one thing with tunehouse, they are a "premier" workshop, and their prices reflect as much... just as a FYI
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Yeh that all sounds too expensive. Apparently the K04 turbo is more of a throwaway unit than one that should be rebuilt anyway. Whenever I heard about a smoking turbo warranty job from Mazda, the turbo was always replaced and never rebuilt.

I replaced the clutch in my MPS6 12 months ago myself so I'm now feeling confident that I can handle just about any job on that car so long as its not anything to do with the internals of the engine.
    One advantage of having done that myself is I now know where everything is in the engine bay and what needs to be removed in order to get to another part. Came in handy last week knowing where the slave cylinder was exactly and that it was accessible from the top if you removed the intake.

I am pretty sure the BNR is a rebuilt turbo, that is why you either need to send your old turbo or pay a core exchange cost

Yeh but it doesn't sound like just a rebuild though - The benefit of the BNR upgrade is the increased shaft size, shorter shaft, bigger bearings, better thrust bearing assembly, better turbine wheel, more efficient compressor wheel, and last but not least, more reliable.

Just bought this to keep me out of trouble until my mods budget comes

Mazda MPS & CX7 Genuine K0422 Turbo charger | eBay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast