User Tag List

Thread: Wtfbbq?!

Default Wtfbbq?!

Alright I just had the weirdest thing happen, I was experimenting trying to get an iphone app that logs fuel pressure with my OBD reader. Was using Dashcommand iPhone app (FYI, it's a piece of shit, don't buy it. REV is way better)

ANYWAY, data logging going, I gave it a bit of a boot, wheels spin, TC kicks in. Then the weird thing happens;

ALL instruments on my dashboard black out suddenly, ny gauges (speedo and tacho) needles both do a full sweep of their respective dials, music (playing via phone/bluetooth) stops, dials quickly reset back to normal, music starts playing again and we carry on our merry way as if nothing ever happenned. Then it did it again a few minutes later. At which point i stopped dashcommand and it didn't do it again.

Randomness is random.

very strange

You could be saturating the CAN bus. Usually, all the systems in the car communicate over the single CAN bus. If you inject too many of your own commands in via your OBD reader this will prevent other systems communicating. The system could have barely been handling normal driving and logging, then when TC kicked in and required moving significant data itself caused saturation and the ECU was smart enough to detect the fault scenario. The OBD program may also be buggy and broadcast errornous commands which other systems that it isn't intended for interprit and report fault scenarios.

Two suggestions:
    - Reduce the sampling rate of the data logging, at least by a factor of 10.
    - Try a different logging program.

Yea ive deleted Dashcommand anyway, it's terrible. I was just testing it out.