User Tag List

Thread: [WA] MPS Mechanical Inspection?

Default [WA] MPS Mechanical Inspection?

Evenin ladies and gents,

I have been doing some reading on the common issues with the MPS6's (the VVT knock, rear mount, rear diff whine / mount, turbo letting go etc.)

These things are fairly easy to spot, but before making a jump towards buying one, i would want to get the car checked first. is there any workshops in Perth that would be a good bet to look them over, or should i risk RAC? I was going to ring Mazda and see if they would do it, but wanted input from the peeps around here and their experiences

Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated
    1993 KL-ZE 626 - Written off
    2005 MPS6 - Me Boosta, GTX2867 Freektuned

Hey buddy are you in Perth?

I just picked up my sisters Mazda 3 Neo sport 2008 from the mechanic after a service. To our surprise our mechanic asked if we knew it had been in a crash? Seeing we bought it through John Hughes and the question was asked at the time of purchased we replied "no" my mechanic then pointed out a few things which prove that it has been repaired (over spray, lines in paint, shine etc) stuff that your usual person probably wouldn't notice! I generally know how to look over a few things before purchasing a vehicle however as my mechanic suggested (and I now agree) anything over $10,000 and a mechanical inspection would probably be a good idea

Zack at Cypher Industries O'Connor can possibly do it (he's flat out usually) or like you said RAC. The MPS does have a few known problems so might be an idea to check those out and see where the vehicle is at condition-wise. Not 100% confident Mazda will be too helpful with a mechanical inspection to be honest. They would just want you to buy the car and get it serviced there.

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

I'd recommend Zack too but like Rog said, he's usually swamped. Best to go with the RAC, theyre generally reputable and will give a decent understanding of the car condition.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Cheers for the response fellas.
    I am in Perth, been on a ozmazda cruise or 2 (got the old green 626), but she is reaching the point where she is obtaining a growing number of "Personality features" so i have started looking for a new car to drive when the 626 is having a "rest".
    The MPS seems like a good bit of kit, has a few niggles but so do all cars really, its one of a few i have been looking at (FG XR6 tubbo, jzx100 and my04 wrx sti are also featuring on the list of interest, hardly comparable cars).

HEy dont do the RAC. Try this guy. A1 auto check.0435510395 Jason is his name.
    He has experience with performance cars. and is a good guy too.

Hey Fizzy welcome mate how are you, been a while since we caught up! some things I came across with my red MPS and others...

Turbo - go for a drive then warm it up, let it idle for about 10mins if she starts to smoke whilst idling then there's a repair on the cards

Diff - beware vibrations, clunks, unusual mechanical noises, if there are some of these try lifting the handbrake a notch and if they go away then it's rear diff related. The whine is fairly standard and varies across models - it wasn't an optional extra - no big deal though!

Transfer case - has been known to leak, though not excessively mine lost about 300ml in 12 months is annoying though! Could also be gearbox leaks.

Engine mounts - RHS is oil filled and can fail, makes creaking noises on cold morning starts until it warms up, there is a "nipple thingy" under the mount if this is very soft then it's low on oil and ready for replacement

VVT - known fault, makes diesel like noise on start up - usually cold start lasts for only 1-2 secs then disappears can get progressively worse with age

Waterpump - has been known to leak, though beware of a suspected leak that the mechanic says needs fixing as it may only be coolant that escapes through the blead valve - there's a thread somewhere on this!

Wheel alignment - has been known on some models not to hold front wheel alignment

Other than that go for it, great car and I loved mine for 4 years
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

7. Default

Hi there,

DO NOT go to RAC. I was in the car industry for 5 years and the number of
    times i have seen RAC "pro's" do bad inspections was rediculous.

Zac from Cypher is good or go to Tokyo Motorsport

Fizzy, you know my feelings about the the RAC when it comes to my old TX5....

After I complained, they offered to do a 2nd inspection free of charge - the guy said that if I replaced the blocked PCV Valve, it would stop the oil leaks.

Yes, I'm not joking!

I doubt you'll be able to borrow the car for a day and take it to a workshop (unless the owner is willing to take it there for you himself - I did that with the 626, paid the owner a "deposit" to take it to my mechanic, mechanic called me directly afterwards to give me a rundown).

I'd see if one of the MPS guys could come with you to inspect (and pay them with their preferred beverage )

Howdy all,
    thanks again for the advice and suggestions.
    In the end i was pointed at a guy who worked at Jason Mazda who knows em pretty well, and she went for a service earlier this week at parkland, they went over it and pointed at stuff that needed replacement, the rear mount got changed over, new tires at the rear (shame really, want new rims anyway) and everything else came up tiptop.

All the usual things that go wrong didn't seem to be there, and minus a few cosmetic things she seemed pretty damn good. Picked her up this morning, can't join the white crew though (Titanium Grey represent).
    Will be putting up some pics and starting to get some parts (SURE motorsport mounts look verrryyy tempting) very soon.

I would tend to avoid RAC unless you can guarantee getting a good inspection centre. I've seen a lot of iffy fast jobs done just for the money and little return. On a largely unrelated issue, I get a bit irritated with RAC anyway, as they tend to hold themselves up as "authorities" on all things related to motoring, when plainly they are not. Their views on road safety are sometimes ludicrous, such as supporting "saturating the roads with speed cameras". That is enough for them to lose all credibility for me.

It would seem logical to have a trustworthy Mazda dealership workshop do it, but whether or not that can be arranged pre-purchase is another matter. There are so few of them in Perth that they can't really afford to be too sloppy as it gets around fast, especially on forums like this. I find Melville Mazda good but have no experience of others. There is, however, one dealership that I would avoid, located SOR.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

The guys down at Tokyo Motorsport in Welshpool are a solid choice too. Those guys have heaps of experience with MPS6's, and are primarily an EVO house, so they know their awd's.