User Tag List

Thread: BATs with aftermarket tmic

Default BATs with aftermarket tmic

I've been looking at the BAT with a stock cooler and it generally hovers around +20degrees over ambient.... a bit on the high side

Does anyone with an aftermarket tmic have any BAT data? Wanting to see what the performance in terms of cooling the and aftermarket tmic setup has over a stock one

cheers

hrrm interesting - what device are you using to see te BAT's?

i'll see if i can read mine.

torque with the mazda PID plugin

im in bris if anyone needs to borrow

Hi. I have a 2008 Mps and stock cooler. I'm using Iphone with REV2 app. My intake temperature is usually about 3-4 deg C higher than ambient when I cruise on freeway and up to 25 deg C outside. But on a hot day like 30 deg plus and I get stuck in traffic it will get to around 30 deg above ambient in 10-15 minutes, however when I start moving again 50km/h plus it will drop down a lot quicker if I start getting on the boost just a few pounds .

BAT is a constantly changing variable so to make any comparisons you need to precisely define the conditions under which you are measuring it. It also helps to understand the effect of thermal inertia because there will always be a lag. For example when you begin to make boost (ie heat up the incoming air) you might intuitively expect to see the BAT increase, but what you will probably see is the opposite with the BAT initially decreasing and only if you stay on the boost and put some heat into the IC core will the BAT increase.

It's very easy to be misled by the BAT data. Probably the best way to compare BAT is to measure it after a period of sustained boost (with the core heated by compressed air rather than heat soaked by the engine) with the engine under load and plenty of airflow through the core.

Gone to Volvo

Blog Entries

3.5" ETS sees cruising BAT of +5deg over ambient. Get under it and that spikes fairly quickly to maximum of ~ +20deg before dropping back - I wonder if the first blast of hot air out of the turbo gets through the IC and the cooling begins in earnest after that. Stay under it and it drops off but difficult to say exactly what the + difference in temp is under sustained load.

I'm guesstimating those figures working from memory as I don't have a log file to refer to with me...