User Tag List

Thread: Mazda 2 - Ticking Sound on Start Up

Default Mazda 2 - Ticking Sound on Start Up

Hoping someone can help, Mel's Mazda 2 has started making a strange noise.

Basically it sounds like a ticking/clicking noise when the engine is cold and she puts her foot on the gas. Once the car warms up it disappears.

She took it to her local mechanic but he didnt think it was anything, I personally think he is wrong as it didnt make the noise before and I may not be a mechanic but obviously something is making that noise.

Any suggestions?

Couple of Q's:
    How old's her car?
    Is it due for a service?
    Has it got small leaves inside the air vent (a known problem with recent 2's) ie is it only when the fan is on?
    Does she wait until the blue temperature light goes off before *really* planting her foot?

I've had a few curious noises from my 2's engine over the years but all have had simple remedies.

Does the sound appear to be coming from the engine itself? Wonder if it could possibly be a piston slap issue??

My Mx5 had an annoying mechanical whirring that was well known issue when it was cold. But while Mazda acknowledged it, it wasnt an issue in their eyes. Went away after 5 mins or so when car was warm.
    Last edited by lucifuge; 22-11-2011 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by countrychic View Post
    Couple of Q's:
    How old's her car?
    Is it due for a service?
    Has it got small leaves inside the air vent (a known problem with recent 2's) ie is it only when the fan is on?
    Does she wait until the blue temperature light goes off before *really* planting her foot?

I've had a few curious noises from my 2's engine over the years but all have had simple remedies.
    Serviced recently
    Doesn't always wait for the car to warm up.
    Maybe 3 years old now.

Brett I think the problem you mentioned is more close to what it sounds like.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Earlier this year I had a similar ticking noise in the first 60 seconds or so after starting my 2, ie while pulling out of the driveway. Sounds like her car's doing something similar.

I have found the 2 NEEDS that warm up period, no matter how frustrating it is I don't plant my foot until that blue light goes off. Hopefully that's the solution.

My Mazda 2 has what seems to be the same noise the 2 engine runs a timing chain not a belt so once the car is well run it the chain will tend to make some noise until it is warm as the oil doesn't penetrate the timing chain fully until the oil is hot and thinner this is what I believe the noise is I run a thinner oil but it still does the same thing

Default Re: Mazda 2 - Ticking Sound on Start Up

Yeah it still does it even now after another 10k on the clock.

Sent from my SGS3 4G