User Tag List

Thread: Driving with an almost dead turbo

Default Driving with an almost dead turbo

Boys and girls, quick question for y'all.

My turbo's pretty much almost kaput, and by that I mean that it hardly every comes onto boost, and when it does it lasts for a few seconds before dropping off. It's almost as if it's naturally aspirated.

Picture this, accelerating to 2k, then 3k, still no boost, hits 4k and slight skip then 4.5k and then she starts to fall asleep.

The question is, is it driveable w/out engaging the turbo much? My BNR is due either tomorrow or Monday however my mechanic, who's now by himself in the workshop is only available on the 4th of Dec which is a while away.

It doesn't smoke unless you keep it idling for about 10 minutes which I never do anyway, but it's just whether leaving a turbo which I can feel just isn't doing what's it supposed to anymore that's troubling me, is there a possibility for massive carnage if I drive it still?

I'd data log if I could, but I have no access to logging scanners.

Cheers in advance.

Chuck.
    Mazda6 MPS

BNR STAGE 1 - COBB ACCESSPORT STAGE 2 - CP-e HIGH PRESSURE FUEL PUMP - CP-E DOWNPIPE - 3" MAGNAFLOW ZORST - DENSO ITV22 SPARK PLUGS - COBB SF INTAKE - COBB TURBO INLET PIPE - JBR 70a TRILOGY MOUNTS - SURE ANCHORS - SURE COUNTERWEIGHT - 2XS SHORT SHIFT PLATE - 2XS STEALTH BLOW OFF VALVE - KING PERFORMANCE LOWERED SPRINGS - BILSTEIN B8 SHOCKS - WHITELINE REAR SWAY BAR - DBA 4000 CROSS DRILLED ROTORS - HAWK PERFORMANCE HPS BRAKE PADS

It doesn't make boost, or blow smoke?

If the wheels inside the turbo are touching the sides, making small particles of turbo housing come off, then going through the motor. It's not really advisable to drive.

If the turbo doesn't make boost (or marginal at best) maybe the wastegate actuator clip has come off. Or have you been told exactly what it is?

Thanks for the reply mate, I'm basing my assumptions purely on my ongoing battles with this PoS stock turbo. Initially, it was smoke at prolonged idle, then came the tin whistle and now this.

I'm not quite certain if the wastegate actuator clip has come loose, I'll have a look tomorrow when I get the chance. With regards to the particles floating through the motor, are there any audible indications that this would be happening? Obviously I'd hear when the motor goes boom boom, but are there pre-emptive audible signs of it beginning to happen?

If I took the TIP off, would I be able to check?

Regards,

Chuck.
    Mazda6 MPS

BNR STAGE 1 - COBB ACCESSPORT STAGE 2 - CP-e HIGH PRESSURE FUEL PUMP - CP-E DOWNPIPE - 3" MAGNAFLOW ZORST - DENSO ITV22 SPARK PLUGS - COBB SF INTAKE - COBB TURBO INLET PIPE - JBR 70a TRILOGY MOUNTS - SURE ANCHORS - SURE COUNTERWEIGHT - 2XS SHORT SHIFT PLATE - 2XS STEALTH BLOW OFF VALVE - KING PERFORMANCE LOWERED SPRINGS - BILSTEIN B8 SHOCKS - WHITELINE REAR SWAY BAR - DBA 4000 CROSS DRILLED ROTORS - HAWK PERFORMANCE HPS BRAKE PADS

Given you have another car, I wouldn't be driving the 6. Something you might want to check though, I had a similar issue when my BPV came off one time. If there's any sizeable leak between the turbo and the intake manifold, you won't get much boost.

Noted.

Thanks mate.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Got this in the mail today.

Not exactly light are they?

Man I can't wait to get this installed already and start driving properly again.
    Mazda6 MPS

What are you waiting for, go install it nao!

I don't know how -_-'

Just take everything apart starting from the TMIC until you get to the turbo, then put everything back together

Oh ok, sounds easy enough!

*Whips out his hammer*

Insurance claim on Monday!

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk