User Tag List

Thread: Fuel consumption

1. Default Fuel consumption

Hey guys so had the mps6 for few weeks now and it seems my fuel consumption is off the charts. i heard they are rated at 10 1/100 but no matter how calm and granny i drive it i cant seem to get any lower then 13.9. Any ideas as to why or have you had a similar issues. let me know

check air filter, spark plugs, make sure you use 98 oct fuel.

Well something is off song or you have a thirsty driving style. Some folks think they are being "grannys" but will, for example, still hold low gears at high rpm in cruise for no good reason, or not use higher gears down gentle grades to drop the rpm, or will dance up and down on the throttle, or brake and accelerate a lot. Just check your mode of driving against others. It's all about load, piston speed, smoothness and anticipation of traffic and keeping the car rolling once it is moving.

My car is mildly worked as per my signature, I drive enthusiastically, fast but smoothly, and I hate slow dithering pests in front of me, but I run about 10.5-12 l/100 (usually around 11) in city stop start town, an easy 9.5-9.8 on local city plus freeway use, and under 9 on long trips at limit speeds plus passing blasts, and I'm not thinking consciously about fuel saving measures.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

where you based?
    im in surburban sydney, and am happy to get sub 12L/100k's for the most part... took me an hour to go 15km on the weekend... hence why my fuel econ is totally shocking

My fuel consumption is 13.4L+/100km and I'm not too sure why either. I do drive pretty hard every now and then though

i dont know liter per 100 km's but i can fo 130km's with a lill highway driving and only use 1/4 tank at most lol

Official stickered consumption was 10.5l/100km combined, I get 9.5l/100km average with a big dose of highway running every day, but do not baby and still drive in traffic every day.

JRBRIS, I see from a Mazda datasheet the MPS has a 60 litre fuel tank. If indeed you use a true 1/4 of that for 130km, that is 15 litres, then your fuel burn is 11.54 l/100 which seems not unreasonable, subject to conditions.

That's if the fuel gauge is giving an accurate reading...I know when mine hits half, it goes alot quicker!

That's why I stipulated "true". Four graduations on a dash guage can mean anything sometimes. I was just giving him an idea. )

i know with mine, i put ~37L into it on weekend, it was about 1 "notch" off 1/4 empty... considering it's supposed to be a 60L tank, that seems a bit wrong...

For those comparing
    3 MPS gen 1 has 55L fuel tank
    6 MPS and 3 MPS gen2 are 60L

Its very difficult to compare fuel economy with others over the internet.
    Heat, altitude, humidity, driving style, road conditions all make a big difference.
    You can get a rough idea, but without driving someone elses car the same way and on the same roads you won't really learn much

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    Its very difficult to compare fuel economy with others over the internet.
    Heat, altitude, humidity, driving style, road conditions all make a big difference.
    You can get a rough idea, but without driving someone elses car the same way and on the same roads you won't really learn much
    Exactly...

My MX-6 would get ~450K's to a tank...

When the clutch was on the way out and I had to drive off-boost all the time I got over 580K's to a tank...

Even the same driver in the same car, driving the same route every day can have a huge difference...

Chris.
    '05 MPS 6, Liquid Silver Metallic, Leather, Sunroof.

DashHawk, TurboSmart Dualport, COBB SF SRI and TIP, CPe REM, 2XS Titanium SSP, Coolant bypass,
    Exedy OEM spec clutch, Corksport SS Braided Clutch Line, ROH Mantis 18*7.5+45.

Growing old is compulsory... Growing up is optional...