User Tag List

Thread: 6 mps breakdown hard shift 3rd gear.

Default 6 mps breakdown hard shift 3rd gear.

hey guys,
    new member here but i have a 6 mps with FMIC with 3" catback and standard tune. when im up it and shifting from 2nd to 3rd flat foot my rig breaks down for a second or two right after the shift. it only does it when im right up it and hard shifting into 3rd. its doesnt do it in any other gear at all. its like its hitting boost cut and killing spark but ive got a boost gauge and it not spiking enough to hit cut.

any ideas?
    cheers, Matt.

Sounds like hesitation. Read this - http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/how-t...ation-fix.html

What brand FMIC? Take some pictures too!

Thanks for the link!
    I tried this last night and it seems to have fixed part of the issue. It still breaks down a little bit but its no were near as bad as before. Ill chuck some new plugs in it next week and see how that goes. The fmic is a CXRacing kit that i modified so i didn't have to relocate the washer reservoir.
    I just noticed that i put this in the wrong tech section. Can a mod move it please.
    Cheers, Matt.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mps fmic.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	9952

Could you take a picture with the front bar on?

Quote Originally Posted by High on PSI View Post
    Could you take a picture with the front bar on?
    +1

Was thinking about this kit

mrmatty, can you please (not do what these two just asked, lol) take a few photos of how you've threaded the piping through the left hand side of the car? I'd be keen to see where your piping goes. Cheers dude!
    Oh and btw guys, the WOT hesitation fix by stretching the springs didn't fix the hesitation in mine, new iridiums in there now too and it still does it. (Apologies for hijacking)

ill try and get some pics tomorrow after work. but to get the piping through i just got the air saw onto the lower sections of the rad support.

If you go back enough years you can find hundreds pages of discussion about the MPS hesitation. I could fill a couple of pages with all the things I tried or replaced over the last five years trying eliminate the hesitation. From EGR valve to oxygen sensor to ignition coils, I replaced just about everything except the engine itself but nothing worked.

I was convinced the problem was in the software. Recently I installed Versatune and it comes with a software option to stop the hesitation. Can't imagine why you wouldn't tick that box, but anyway, it's mission accomplished. No more hesitation. The moral to the story is, if your only objective is to stop the hesitation, don't waste money on component changes because the hesitation is a consequence of the OEM software.
    Last edited by kmh001; 14-11-2011 at 10:16 PM.

Gone to Volvo

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    I was convinced the problem was in the software. Recently I installed Versatune and it comes with a software option to stop the hesitation. Can't imagine why you wouldn't tick that box, but anyway, it's mission accomplished. No more hesitation. The moral to the story is, if your only objective is to stop the hesitation, don't waste money on component changes because the hesitation is a consequence of the OEM software.
    So then the question is... WHY did Mazda program this hesitation in???

Chris.
    '05 MPS 6, Liquid Silver Metallic, Leather, Sunroof.

DashHawk, TurboSmart Dualport, COBB SF SRI and TIP, CPe REM, 2XS Titanium SSP, Coolant bypass,
    Exedy OEM spec clutch, Corksport SS Braided Clutch Line, ROH Mantis 18*7.5+45.

Growing old is compulsory... Growing up is optional...

Quote Originally Posted by Victa View Post
    So then the question is... WHY did Mazda program this hesitation in???

Chris.
    No doubt it's a fault. The versatune guys have written about it being an aggressive self protection feature that pulls too much timing - or something like that, I don't really remember the details. But I'm quite sure it wasn't there in the beginning. It appeared in my car after the second Mazda de-tune, I mean MMDS update at 20,000km. If there are 2005/2006 cars around that have never been back to a Mazda dealer for a service it's likely they remain unaffected by the hesitation.

Gone to Volvo

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    No doubt it's a fault. The versatune guys have written about it being an aggressive self protection feature that pulls too much timing - or something like that, I don't really remember the details. But I'm quite sure it wasn't there in the beginning. It appeared in my car after the second Mazda de-tune, I mean MMDS update at 20,000km. If there are 2005/2006 cars around that have never been back to a Mazda dealer for a service it's likely they remain unaffected by the hesitation.
    Possibly to protect the clutch/transfer case from people smashing between gears under load. Interesting to hear that it can be solved with a versatune. Cheers!

Ok, i took some pics for you guys. Its kinda hard to see where the pipes go past the radiator support with out taking the front bar off or jacking it up and removing the stone guards .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1475.JPG 
Views:	178 
Size:	287.6 KB 
ID:	9963   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1474.JPG 
Views:	181 
Size:	260.0 KB 
ID:	9964   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1473.JPG 
Views:	167 
Size:	240.5 KB 
ID:	9965   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1468.JPG 
Views:	165 
Size:	228.7 KB 
ID:	9966   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1469.JPG 
Views:	191 
Size:	292.9 KB 
ID:	9967  

two more.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1472.JPG 
Views:	172 
Size:	281.6 KB 
ID:	9969   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1471.JPG 
Views:	165 
Size:	286.2 KB 
ID:	9970  
    Last edited by mrmatty; 15-11-2011 at 05:24 PM.

Nice work man, pity about the grille in the front bar being filled in on the top half subtracts from the awesome look of the front mount.

Engine bay looks all empty without the top mount lol...

Have you found any gains from the FMIC or negatives like spool time etc?
    How much did it set you back?
    Is it the same as the ones selling on eBay?