User Tag List

Thread: Mazda 6 MPS front wheel drive switch

Default Mazda 6 MPS front wheel drive switch

Was just wondering if it was safe to have the hand brake up causing the rear to disengage and making the car a FWD, then doing a little burnout and letting the handbrake down to engage the rear so that the car launches. It does sound like it might damage something but I'm not certain that it will. Any idea?

And - Is launching with the rear disengaged safer than launching with AWD? Because the rear differential isn't getting stressed because of the shit stock brace and mount
    Last edited by High on PSI; 10-11-2011 at 07:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by High on PSI View Post
    Was just wondering if it was safe to have the hand brake up causing the rear to disengage and making the car a FWD, then doing a little burnout and letting the handbrake down to engage the rear so that the car launches.
    I've done that by accident.... car just launched when all 4 wheels were under power, felt pretty awesome, though wouldn't want to do it too often
    Ezy-Flash Pro - GTX2867R - NPC Clutch/Solid State flywheel - Autotech Fuel Pump Internals - ATP 3" TIP - Cobb SRI - NGK Plugs - CPE FMIC - 2XS Dump Pipe/100 Cel Cat - 3" Custom CatBack Exhaust - TRMotorsport MT1 18x8.5's -Michelin Pilot Super Sports 245/40/18 - DBA Slotted Rottors - Remsa Pads - 60mm Boost Gauge in middle vent - Bilstein B8 - Kings - Turbosmart BOV - emblemless front grill - debadged rear - 2WD Switch

I can see where you're coming from with this question, but if you think about the term launch, it means a high performance acceleration from a standing start. I would argue that it applies to AWD cars and purpose built 2wd drag cars, because most 2wd cars don't have sufficient adhesion to achieve the very high initial acceleration rates that characterise a launch. With 2wd more power generally means more wheel spin off the line and consequently lower acceleration rates until the car has achieved sufficient speed to deliver full power without wheel spin.

It's the exact opposite in an awd car, where during a launch the kinetic energy of the rotating engine parts is transfered into getting the car off the line with a very high initial rate of acceleration thanks to all-wheel grip. However the acceleration rate rapidly diminishes. For example, Dashhawk logs suggest the 6MPS will accelerate to 30kmh in just 0.1 of a second, and your neck musscles with verify this. That's why it's called a launch. It's like being shot out of a cannon. But it then takes another four seconds to accelerate a further 70 kmh because the acceleration rate drops in the first couple of seconds before recovering to match a 2wd car.

The 6MPS has LSD in the rear, not the front. So if you attempt to launch in FWD mode, you'll just sit there going nowhere with one of the front tyres frying and it wont be much of a launch at all. Unfortunately, beyond upgrading to stronger mounts, there is nothing much that can be done to take the risk of damage out of launching.

If you really want to switch the rear diff off, best to do it after the change to third when the likelihood of wheel spin has reduced.

Gone to Volvo

I understand but what I meant was just for abit of fun, not for a launch when racing.

I just want to smoke the tyres up then engage the rear diff so I get the launching motion.

Btw, when our tyres are spinning is the speedo meant to display the speed of the car or is it sensored within the wheels? I was spinning out with the front wheels and reached third gear at about 4500 rpm and when I looked at the speedo it said 40 kmph...

Blog Entries

This is a little off-topic, but re: front differential on mps6 - Has anyone ever pulled a gearbox apart or knows the layout well enough to tell me if an alternative front differential will function normally. Quaife front differential apparently fits "for mps 6 in FWD mode", which read to me as though it might be an AWD delete mod.

On the other hand they might just be referring to the fact that it's the front differential.

In a nutshell, wanting to know if AWD is compatible with quaife. It would all depend on the gearbox layout. I suspect it would work fine, just exchange the diff, unless the rear drive is somehow associated with the front diff assembly.
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Michelin PS5 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - Corksport turbo manifold - HT 98 octane tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - Bespoke Raspberry Pi Android based GPS/Carplay and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold.