User Tag List

Thread: can SRI & downpipe upgrade do the trick?

Default can SRI & downpipe upgrade do the trick?

hi,
    i had a friendly rolling drag with my friend who is driving AE101 with 3S-GTE using AR60 turbo and micro-tech. his boost is only 0.7barg.
    i was surprised to not even able to catch him when rolling from 3rd. to 4th. gear as the MPS torque is quite high & boost at 1 barg.
    i would suppose it is down to power to weight ratio where MPS weight makes it not having good potential as drag car.

also i had a run with FD2R, i can't even come close to it. Like the same scenario i had with the AE101-3SGTE.
    i don't know what mod that FD2R had but my friend said the car has kpro ecu upgrade, j-racing cai, header & muffler upgrade.
    i've reached to 5th gear and still can't catch up..

will SRI & downpipe upgrade without ECU re-tune do d trick?

thanks

umm...

anyways, if you're doing 20km in 3rd gear, then there will be issues. there are way too many variables to determine if its the car, your driving skills or your mates car. having said that doing intake and dump will make the car more lively. Add a custom tune or even a hypertech and the car will transform. then you need to spend money on better suspension and tyres to get the extra power to the ground.

I'd look at driver skill first, as its a free mod

It all depends how much power they are making....
    i sure couldnt feel the difference when i put my intake on.
    A quality DP has been shown to make around 12kw @ the wheels.
    I remember my car felt better with the intake/Turbo inlet pipe/DP, But it was the tune that made the big difference.
    So basically i wouldnt expect to go from not being able to catch them to pulling on them with an intake and DP. It sounds like they have done a bit to their cars...
    Do those then get the tune, but even then youll still want more power. with 200kw at the wheels i often wish it had 250 or more..

Intake won't make a lot of difference alone, but a good SRI and larger diameter smoother flowing TIP to replace the convoluted Mazda one will help it breath better and you may gain a few Kw and a smoother run at higher registers. A decent DP can add up to 20Kw if done right, with possible other exhaust enhancements, but needs research to get the best setup.

I have no idea what the other cars are that you refer to with the gimick-speak, or their power outputs, driver skills, what gear they are in, etc, etc.......so comparisons are impossible. Also just because his turbo is running the same pressure doesn't mean it is running the same volume.

BTW, I think you are referring to BARS of boost, not BARG. Barge is a riced-up Honda Accord. ;-)

Last comment: The MPS (3 or 6) was never intended to be a drag car, it is a high performance tourer. If that is what you intend to use it for, then you need to pay for decent mods to meet that end, not just a DP and SRI. In that realm, the sky is the limit for mods, and hence $$$$.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18