User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dan's Garage - Black MPS Paint Correction/Protection - Slixx

Default Dan's Garage - Black MPS Paint Correction/Protection - Slixx

This weekend was spent working on Slixx (Peter's) Metallic Black Gen II MPS. This is one of the best metallic blacks on the road and it was a pleasure to bring this one back to where it should be

This one involved Paint Protection also, so it took place over two days.

Total time taken - 16.5hrs over two days (12hrs Day 1, 4.5hrs Day 2)

Products used - IronX Decontamination Spray, PoorBoys All Purpose Cleaner, Flex PE 14-2 Rotary, Ryobi RO, Optimum Hyper Spray Compound, Optimum Polish II, LC Orange CCS Pad 6" (x2), LC Orange CCS Pad 4" (x1), LC Kompressor Orange Pad (x1), LC Tangerine Pad, LC Red Finishing Pad, Prima Amigo, Prima Epic (2 layers), and Banana Gloss

Roofline showing some minor swirling:

Roof sills - Before. where much of the swirling was

Close-up of swirls

50/50 (corrected/non-corrected) of roof sill

Sills completed:

Close-up of that wonderful depth and clarity:

Tops of the doors - Before:

After:

Paint Protection:

Final Result:

Last edited by Caffeine Fiend; 07-11-2011 at 04:00 PM.
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Looks awesome as always Dan, i'm not familiar with the products you mention are some of them doing the same thing as a clay bar and pre-wax/polish cleanser would?

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Looks awesome as always Dan, i'm not familiar with the products you mention are some of them doing the same thing as a clay bar and pre-wax/polish cleanser would?
    Hi Mate, thanks for that

In this case, there wasn't much need for a claybar as the paint surface didn't have much in the way of oxidisation, so I comfortably skipped that step and went straight to correction

The IronX is a decontaminant which for this car I used exclusively on the wheels to remove ferrous particles (brake dust etc). The PoorBoys APC was used under the guards

Everything else used was paint correction or after

Amigo was used as the pre-protection polish/glaze

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

This is my favorite shot, looks like the surface of a still pool underground in some cavern. Amazing effort... As usual.

Thanks Brad

Very deep shine! love it! Also like the tiled garage floor!

Awesome work Dan. As usual!

Cheers guys

Yeah Mitch, love the tiles. Make things so much easier to keep clean

I should also add that Pete's stereo install looks first-rate. Just wished I had more time to play with it other than the 30 sec backing the car out of the garage

Last edited by Caffeine Fiend; 07-11-2011 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Fiend View Post
    Cheers guys

Yeah Mitch, love the tiles. Make things so much easier to keep clean

I should also add that Pete's stereo install looks first-rate. Just wished I had more time to play with it other than the 30 sec backing the car out of the garage

should have pumped the tunes whilst working
    "hey pete, really sorry, your battery is flat..."

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Hahahahah

Dan

I must say thank you so much for the effort you put in. The car looks amazing. I think I gained a tenth or 2 because how slick it is!!

The colour is so deep and almost a mirror finish. I couldn't imagine any better.

Looking forward to keeping it in the condition. Just gotta take care of my bonnet chips as it takes away from all your hard work

Beside respraying the whole thing (no thanks). People have suggested a black polish, to which I am not keen on as I don't want to put anything on my paint that you have put on or recommended

Might think about touching up some of them but will research this first

Thank you again and I cannot recommend this highly enough to anyone.

Peter "SLIXX"

Snapped by Tangcla - FB Page
    Currently RaydTuned
    Lots of love from 2XS Racing & Dan's Garage Detailing

Thanks Pete, and thanks too for the referral recommendations on the weekend

Re the stone chips, if you decide on a respray or major touch up repair, bring it back to me when it's done and I'll re-do the paint protection on the front for you. As the labour intensive correction work is done, cost to re-do just the front will be three parts of bugger all. Will look after you

Dan

Nice Stuff, Dan.

Feel like coming to WA for a few days?

Pete.

Absolutely love your work Dan! Two thumbs up!

Seen the other threads with cars you've worked on but can't give you enough kudos on how great of a job you've done on this one man!

Thanks Guys

I think I need to learn how to do proper paint touch ups and start offering that where needed

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Fiend View Post
    Thanks Guys

I think I need to learn how to do proper paint touch ups and start offering that where needed

Heh, if you learn how to do touch ups, I'll happily drive all the way to Melbourne and let you fix my bonnet i'm about 5% of the way to having a white gen 1
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Touch ups and also wet sanding

Two areas I need to put some serious time into I think.

The two black RX8s I did recently could have used a really smooth wet sand. Not that I'm in any way unhappy with the work I did on either of them, however I think a wet sand would have been a better and, believe it or not, less aggressive way to have worked out those deeper scratches than compounding them with a wool pad, which was what I had to do.

The wife's MX5 is an ideal candidate to work with on both these areas. It needs some serious attention, to the point where we're almost considering a respray. I think I can probably get it back to about 85-90% though with a full wet sand and some strategic paint repairs.

Think this might be the next big project

Well took some pics last weekend. Thanks Dan. Very impressed

Took heaps with my DSLR. Will post later

Peter "SLIXX"

Nice Pete. Would love to have more pics to add to my collection/folio

Looks great Pete. Top job Dan well done !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast