User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mazda Turbo2 Concept promises forced-induction frolicking

Default Mazda Turbo2 Concept promises forced-induction frolicking

Filed under: Concept Cars, SEMA Show, Budget, Performance, Hatchback, Mazda

If the Mazda2 needs anything, it's a little more pep in its step. Mazda has moved to address that ail with the SEMA 2011 Turbo2 Concept. Boasting a direct-injection 2.3-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine, the small hatch is crammed with 263 horsepower and 280 pound-feet of torque. Those are the kinds of figures that are sure to slather a grin across your face, especially given that Mazda has managed to trim the concept's weight down to a skinny 2,300 pounds. Mazda also reminds us that this vehicle wears the company's largest forced-induction four-cylinder engine in its smallest vehicle platform. Zoom-Zoom indeed.

The Turbo2 Concept rocks a set of Brembo brakes to bring the whole party to a stop in a hurry, and the suspension has received its fair share of attention as well. HR coilovers, Corksport sway bars front and rear and Yokohama rubber all help keep the tiny hatch glued to the track. In fact, if this is all looking rather serious for a showcar, that's because it is - this car was built by the folks at Autobarn for use in One Lap of America with blessings from the Japanese automaker, though it has since been the recipient of a splashy new look.

So, will we see a version of it production? There's always a chance that Mazda will give the world a Mazdaspeed2 to chew on. In the meantime, if you can't wait and want this exact car, Autoblog reader Pete L. notes that it's for sale by the Autobarn folks, though it's a costly little number: $94,999. Eek.Mazda Turbo2 Concept promises forced-induction frolicking originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 02 Nov 2011 17:30:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.
    Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...

Yeh for a Turbo 2 and tell them their dreaming for the $95,000... It would be nice to up the anti on the 3 with Brembo Brakes and some extra grunt in the motor department on the other hand Nah just leave it we can do it so much cheaper compared to the Mazda 2 figures .. ...
    Last edited by 240MPS; 03-11-2011 at 07:48 AM.
    Like sand in the hour glass are the days of my life.

Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for a while, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never, ever the same.
    You will be in our prays
    Leelu.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.. I gotta have one of them.
    what a cool little rocket that would be..
    Wonder if they will trade my Bubble???

95k?!?!?!

They can keep it....

Silly price but that thing would go like the clappers.

If they made a production I highly doubt it would come with Brembo's and all the fancy bits attached. I don't even think they would put the 2.3 DISI engine in it, way to much power for that car on the street.

They would want to fit it in their product line so I highly doubt it would have anywhere near the same power as the MPS3.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Logan; 04-11-2011 at 06:32 AM.

I think any 2 MPS should be a high reving 2ltr designed to take on cars like the Renault clio, Citroën DS3 etc.
    Making one turbo would kill the youth market in Australia and most countries because of our laws and other countries insurance policies.

However, I really want to drive that car.

Mmm... looks like fun, but who would buy a 3MPS if the 2MPS had exactly the same running gear?

The 3 would look like the boat then...

Chris.

I think that they should do a Sprintex Supercharger kit for them just like the one available for Honda Jazz

To be honest, If I where to smack my 6 into a wall, I'd be tempted to re-shell it into a 2...

My dream car, would have to be a mazda 2 WRC car. 1.6 turbo.. all wheel drive! I would still have this bad girl with the 2.3, so light and nimble,,, awesome track car i reckon!

Knock a digit off Mazda and I'd consider it!

Would be good if Mazda had something to compete with the VW Polo GTI

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Fiend View Post
    Would be good if Mazda had something to compete with the VW Polo GTI
    There will be no competition if this goes ahead! 2.3L turbo in a car that size!

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Quote Originally Posted by MadAussie View Post
    To be honest, If I where to smack my 6 into a wall, I'd be tempted to re-shell it into a 2...
    I have considered that if the 6 got smashed, would the driveline transplant into a Gen 1 MX-6?

Mmmm... AWD MX-6...

Chris.
    '05 MPS 6, Liquid Silver Metallic, Leather, Sunroof.

DashHawk, TurboSmart Dualport, COBB SF SRI and TIP, CPe REM, 2XS Titanium SSP, Coolant bypass,
    Exedy OEM spec clutch, Corksport SS Braided Clutch Line, ROH Mantis 18*7.5+45.

Growing old is compulsory... Growing up is optional...

Quote Originally Posted by rogwick View Post
    There will be no competition if this goes ahead! 2.3L turbo in a car that size!
    Realistically I can't see that happening though. Not for mass production. More likely you'll see a lower capacity engine with a low pressure turbo, like the 1.8lt VW turbo in the Polo..... If anything

Would be interesting to see them explore twin charge like VW also

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Quote Originally Posted by Victa View Post
    I have considered that if the 6 got smashed, would the driveline transplant into a Gen 1 MX-6?

Mmmm... AWD MX-6...

Chris.
    Mmm, while I am somewhat of a fan of ugly cars (I owned over half a dozen R31's, heh)..... No. Just.... No. :P

Twin charge is the way. when I win lotto thats what is happening to my ^mps. gotta be done.

If I won lotto I'd just buy a better car.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

My 2 had a MPS 2 wannabee feel....

Quote Originally Posted by Team Green View Post
    My 2 had a MPS 2 wannabee feel....
    Like sand in the hour glass are the days of my life.

Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for a while, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never, ever the same.
    You will be in our prays
    Leelu.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast