User Tag List

Thread: Synology NAS for home

Default Synology NAS for home

Just picked up one of these for home along with 3 x 2Tb HDDs. Can finally retire the ancient PC I have running as my media server :

DS1511+ Products Specifications Synology Inc. Network Attached Storage - NEW NAS Experience

ive got a QNP ts-410 with 4 x 1.5 tb drivers freaking awesome... 65 watts or less

Quote Originally Posted by Jrbris View Post
    ive got a QNP ts-410 with 4 x 1.5 tb drivers freaking awesome... 65 watts or less
    I looked at the QNAP, but ended up with the Synology due to getting a better deal (I've got better ties with the Aus Synology disty than with the Aus QNAP disty )

Similar units though. Got some fun playing around with it coming up this weekend lol

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

QNAP NASes are great. We use them for our clients. Tons of features .. about the only thing it doesn't do is make coffee !

What about a hp micro server running freenas?
    That's what i have
    They are -200 with 4 bays

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Price gone up

http://www.eyo.com.au/288054_hp-hewl...58553-371.html

Nice, wish I'd seen that HP microserver, looks like a pretty nice solution. Built myself a 6TB server very recently using FREENAS, cost me around $480. It's good stuff, web interface is very useful and if you get version 7 instead of 8 it does stuff like supply media to your xbox and download your torrents.

Got all my data copied across over the weekend, have switched off the old PC, and am now running exclusively on the new NAS

First impressions;

It's much quieter than having the PC running. Even with a pair of 60mm fans running in the back you just don't hear it. This is something my wife loves. She told me this morning she didn't realise how loud the PC was in the background until it was switched off.

It's blazingly fast. Am only running single Gbe at the moment but will eventually aggregate both Gbe ports (can do this as long as you also have a switch that supports link aggregation). It integrated beautifully with my existing PVR, so I've been able to retain all my existing playback functionality from storage across the network (downloaded tv shows etc).

It supports all the common RAID types up to RAID 10 including config of hot-spare drives. It also has its own RAID type called SHR (Synology Hybrid RAID), which is based on RAID 5, but allows dynamic allocation of unused disk space to different volumes without needing to rebuild the array (awesome).

In terms of basic setup, it's very intuitive. It uses a Linux-based custom OS called DSM (DiskStation Manager), which is GUI, but also has command line for serious Linux heads . Everything to fully manage the unit is in the GUI though. File shares and user/group permissions were simple to configure and get up and running. It also has the ability to auto-create home directories for users and set permissions automatically etc.

It has a lot of advanced features which I haven't played with yet, but I have the bit torrent functionality enabled, which is nice. It'll accept RSS feeds to go looking for latest uploads of TV series etc and schedule them for download automatically. It also has apps for iPhone and Android that allow you to control the NAS from your mobile device (apps for overall NAS config, for file functions, bit torrent viewer/scheduler, photo organiser, IP Cam remote viewer.... most of the advanced functionality of the NAS can be controlled)

Overall, incredibly impressed so far

Last edited by Caffeine Fiend; 02-11-2011 at 09:01 AM.
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

will you get 2 gb/s out of the unit thou ? what speeds you get now dan ?

With the links aggregated I should be getting a realistic ~170-180MB/sec (Megabytes per sec) Read throughput, and ~140-150MB/sec write throughput, taking into account I'm running RAID5, so will have a very slight performance hit (most tests/reviews will test throughput in RAID0 to see max speeds). The HDDs will also limit this a little, especially on the write, but not by a huge amount

On single currently I'm getting around half that on CAT6.

I only have one device on the network currently capable of utilising that speed through link aggregation (my PC), so that's why I haven't been in a huge hurry to implement it. Everything else is single Gbe.

Last edited by Caffeine Fiend; 02-11-2011 at 11:49 AM.

i got 175 - 185 out of my qnap with a single gbe connection, but i do have a smart switch that supports jumbo frames with the TCP window size.

I don't have Jumbo frames currently enabled. The old PC didn't react well to it

Neg dan, RAID 5 is faster for reads than RAID 0, but not writes

Was meaning on the write-side, just probably not that clear

At the end of the day though it's better than my old PC in every way. I could chase incremental improvements in performance but I've reached a point with my home network where it does everything I want it to do, save some home automation which may come later

I do want fricken fibre to my house though so I can pi$$ off this ADSL2 cr@p

Last edited by Caffeine Fiend; 02-11-2011 at 05:11 PM.

Same!!!!!!!!