Filed under: Motorsports, Convertible, Performance, Mazda, Canada, Specialty, Quick Spins, Racing
Point. Shoot. Grin.

Wedging myself into the cockpit of Keith Tanner's 1994 Mazda MX-5 Miata turned Targa Newfoundland podium finisher, I'm struck with the realization that most race cars are the automotive equivalent of a pet electric eel. They look fantastic lounging around, and you may even be struck with the impulse to get close, but the reality is that it's only a matter of time before it reaches out and lights you up like a cheap string of Christmas lights. This notion is only underscored when Tanner hands me a set of noise-cancelling headphones with an integrated com system.

"Here. You'll probably want these," he says. "It can get kind of loud in here."

With a 400-horsepower General Motors L33 wedged between the fenders of the poised Miata, it's only a matter of time before the stripped interior resonates with the sound of eight furious cylinders. I ask if there's anything I should know before I hit the ignition. Tanner says no. I'm beginning to suspect he's lying to me.Continue reading Flyin' Miata V8 Targa MX-5 Miata
Flyin' Miata V8 Targa MX-5 Miata originally appeared on Autoblog on Mon, 24 Oct 2011 11:57:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.
Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...