User Tag List

Thread: Lots of smoke coming from exhaust

Default Lots of smoke coming from exhaust

Nevermind, a friend over exaggerated how much smoke was coming out and there's not even an issue with the turbo.

Could have been fresh oil from the service
    Last edited by High on PSI; 04-02-2012 at 01:17 AM.

2. Default

When it happened to mine, I never had any power loss .. wouldnt have known there was an issue tbh except for the smoke and the awful burning plastic smell

Oh dear, that sounds horribly familiar.
    Mine started spewing white smoke through the pipes, a couple of days later the smoke came from under the bonnet, but at no time did the car lose power.
    Once the smoking started coming through the bonnet, I stopped driving until I was able to replace the turbo. Others have kept driving, and have tried various fixes of the oil leak problem. Eventually, you'll probably have to replace the turbo.
    Your problem may be something else, but, ...
    BNR is your friend.
    Last edited by guitar69; 23-10-2011 at 08:58 PM.

Hey mate, my turbo is smoking too but it's still driveable until I get the new one installed. The only issue I've had is I can feel it struggle in the low gears.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

So far my MPS is non smoker. I hear its a bad habit so I influence a smoke-free lifestyle, as well as regular bathing, various fragrant lotions to protect from sunlight, new shoes every now and then. I even tickle her bonnet sometimes and massage the roof after I've been on a long cruise.

You should be on the stage Andre.

I'm keen on going for a GTX3071r if it is my turbo.

Something weird happened yesterday though, I went for a drive after the cruise when my car was given a rest for about 2 hours. NO SMOKE?!

Quote Originally Posted by High on PSI View Post
    I'm keen on going for a GTX3071r if it is my turbo.

Something weird happened yesterday though, I went for a drive after the cruise when my car was given a rest for about 2 hours. NO SMOKE?!
    OH ohhhhhhhhhh No smoke after lots of smoke= Possible no oil. I would be checking it. OR check maybe the coolant, Might be a coolant issue too, some coolants give off the same kind of white smopke as oil!
    Personally, if I had a smokey Turbo, I would not drive it apart from get it home or to a mechanic.. turbos are weird things, some go forever, some fail early.
    Feeling for anyone with turbo problems, can get exxxxxxxxpensive.

Oil has cooled, now thicker, not passing the seals???

Question, those with killed turbos, what oil was being used?
    It is possible (slightly) that running too thin oil could not be helping the issue.

My car was recently serviced too...

I'll check if theres engine oil. Also I think something in the rear is leaking, a small patch on my garage floor, and looking under the car looks like something on the fuel tank

11. Default

sounds like oil is pushing through the turbo seals... causing smoke to me.... ?

Noticed the smoking issue on my 6MPS becoming more obvious in the last 6 months. Smokes when idling for more than 2 minutes after starting, particularly when it's been parked for a while.

Mentioned the smoking issue to Mazda at last service and they got back to me the next day offering to replace the turbo, despite being out of warranty. Didn't have to prove my case at all so obviously it's a well known issue to them now.

13. Default

Quote Originally Posted by LateralGs View Post
    Noticed the smoking issue on my 6MPS becoming more obvious in the last 6 months. Smokes when idling for more than 2 minutes after starting, particularly when it's been parked for a while.

Mentioned the smoking issue to Mazda at last service and they got back to me the next day offering to replace the turbo, despite being out of warranty. Didn't have to prove my case at all so obviously it's a well known issue to them now.
    Thats great to hear Not all dealers are the devil spawn, some are actually quite reasonable and nice
    Taken my boring, bland, lame Subaru and my fat ass and driven off into the sunset with a smile on my face

Quote Originally Posted by LateralGs View Post

Great stuff.
    Care to tell us which dealer that was?

Jason Mazda @ Osborne Park. It was Mazda Australia that agreed to it after the dealer sent in details of the issue. Guess having a full service history and keeping things stock (till recently) helped my cause.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Nice mate!

Good to know there are some decent dealerships out there.

Oil smoke and glycol coolant smoke smell vastly different. It's more likely oil smoke as discussed in previous posts above. But it will take you 5 minutes to check the levels of both.

It's been a week since the smoke, haven't seen smoke since... and I haven't changed anything on my car, hmmm.

Linking to an old post of mine in another thread...read it

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-...tml#post164187

i just got my car servd they said everything is fine, then it started smoking (white) on idle after about 5-10mins.