User Tag List

Thread: Importing tyres and wheels from USA experience and FAQ

Default Importing tyres and wheels from USA experience and FAQ

Thought it would benefit all if we collate the experience of importing tyres and wheels from USA. There are obvious benefits from getting these items from USA and hopefully it will provide a nice guide.

Fill out the template for each shipment, so if you had 2 shipments sent separately, fill it out twice. This is particularly useful to see how often customs charge GST and duties when value of goods is over AUD$1000.

Just to clear any questions regarding GST/duty charged by Customs, visit When buying over the internet. A brief summary is below

Value of goods imported at or below AUD$1000
    • No GST or duty charged
    Value of goods imported more than AUD$1000
    • GST and duty payable, is based on the value of the products including any shipping and handling charges
    The template

Product:
    Qty:

Price each (USD):
    $
    Shipping costs (USD):
    $
    Total amount transferred (AUD):
    $
    Purchased store:

Was GST/duty charged. If yes, how much:

Comments:
    quality of service, delivery times, customs issues etc

FAQ and tips

General tips:
    • Always check that you will actually save money by importing. Generally the higher end tyres will be more worthwhile
    • Allow around 2 weeks from placing your order to getting your items. If you have been defected for bald tyres, either buy local or not drive the car until the tyres are received.
    • If the item value exceed more than AUD$1000, consider splitting the items into separate shipments as they will be further costs and hassle. Even with the added shipping expense, it may end up cheaper to split the shipment.
    • Always deal with reputable companies. Buying over the internet can be a very costly experience if the right precautions are not taken.
    General FAQ

Q:
    The value exceeds AUD$1000 and I've decided to split the items into separate shipments. Will I avoid customs and GST?
    A: According to Customs, if the packages (consignments) are sent to the same person and are sent on the same ship/aircraft, then the value of goods is totalled regardless of the number of packages. It would be safer to place the orders a few days apart as customs may combine the package value if they come in together. Depending on the supplier, you may need to send separate wire transfers.
    Customs considers that, for the purposes of Section 68, irrespective of the number of packages in which the goods are sent from one consignor to one consignee (or the number of related air waybills or ocean bills) on the same ship or aircraft, all such packages should be treated as one consignment

Q: How do customs convert USD to AUD to value my goods?
    A: Customs will use the exchange rate on the day the package was shipped NOT received. Customs use the spot exchange rate as published on their website. This rate is different to that of what the banks use which is usually 3c below the spot rate

Q: What other charges besides GST/duties are there?
    A: Wire transfers typically have a fee of around $25 depending on your bank. If paying by credit card, they may have a currency conversion fee, generally a percentage of the purchase price. If your goods exceed the $1000 threshold, you may also need to pay brokerage and warehousing fees depending on the shipping agent. See question about goods exceeding $1000 below.

Importing Wheels FAQ

Q: Will I receive manufacturer warranty?
    A: Generally no. However certain brands may offer international warranty. In most cases you must claim via the supplier, which means you will need to send it back to USA

Importing Tyres FAQ

Last edited by lup15; 23-10-2011 at 09:15 AM.

Blog Entries

few years since I purchased, however....

Product: Enkei RPF 1 wheels 18x7.5+48

Qty: 4

Price each (USD):
    $ A lot more than they are now
    Shipping costs (USD):
    $ two hundred ???
    Total amount transferred (AUD):
    $3000
    Purchased store: Tirerack.com

Was GST/duty charged. If yes, how much: Yes. total includes import duty.

Comments:

Excellent delivery timeframes. Upon last check the same purchase probably well under $2000 in total today. Didn't accept international credit cards - that may have changed - had to be paid by international wire transfer. Prompt responses from support staff. I included duty in the overall cost, however this was paid separately at 10 or 15% of purchase cost, I can't recall the exact figure although I don't think it's changed. Shipping handled by tirerack. FedEx, if I recall correctly. You can specify if you wish. Customs duty delays shipping after the package lands; once paid, shipping resumes.
    Last edited by Nexus; 23-10-2011 at 10:52 PM.
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Michelin PS5 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - Corksport turbo manifold - HT 98 octane tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - Bespoke Raspberry Pi Android based GPS/Carplay and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold.

Product: Advan AD08 235/40/18
    Qty: 4
    Price each (USD): $239
    Shipping costs (USD): $250
    Total amount transferred (AUD): $1273
    Purchased store: Tirerack
    Was GST/duty charged. If yes, how much: No
    Comments: fast delivery via fedex (took 5 days). paid via CBA netbank wire transfer. that also went smoothly, took 2 days to clear. Tirerack has excellant service and really cater for international orders. you can tell they think ahead as they provide a letter to customs advising how they store the tyres so that it passes quarantine with minimal issues. Shipping 4 tyres compared to 2 was only $5 more lol. the stock is relatively new, manufactured date of week 14 2011. I've saved at least $400 getting the tyres from USA. cant wait to try them!

4. Default RE: Importing tyres and wheels from USA experience and FAQ

A motor vehicle includes a vehicle that is partly completed, but does not include vehicle parts. The importation of a vehicle part does not require a vehicle import approval. An import approval is required for a ‘kit of parts’ that can be assembled to build a rolling vehicle. I recommend ACC customs broker in Australia to help you do the importation. Your supplier will send bill of landing, invoice and packing list for you to proceed importation. Once you received documents, send it to your broker.
    Last edited by dolsonlelan; 27-07-2020 at 07:29 AM.

Blog Entries

I think shipping is still running, however I've heard it's slower in general. I imagine it's probably more expensive too. But I expect you can still ship.