User Tag List

Thread: Max tyre pressure

Default Max tyre pressure

hi,
    how high can i increase the tyre pressure and drive around 200km safely?

the reason i need to increase the tyre pressure is that i need to increase the height of the 3 mps to clear the vehicle ferry ramp as i drive to get in.

thanks

---------- Post added at 05:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:23 AM ----------

mine is a 3 mps gen II

2. Default

Most people have them about 40psi max I would say, not sure what the absolute max is.

Maybe take 2 sturdy pieces of timber just in case to bridge the drive onto the ferry to make it less of a dip

We recently took our reasonably lowered RX8 onto the car ferry to cross over to Myall Lkkes and it was fine just driving on/off the ferry driving sideways across the ramp (ie not straight on)

they will go to 50 fairly safely but all that will do is ruin your ride quality, you wont get much of an increase in ride height after about 45psi. also remember that the pressure goes up and down by as much as 5psi as the tyres heat up when you're driving.

Thanks guys

i'll try at 36 psi first for d front tyre as what is pasted on the car.
    for d rear tyre , that info. sticker said 48psi which is a bit too high for me. So i settled with 39psi.

Careful though as tyres and pressures vary. I cruise around on 40psi, that is my usual preference. Standard for the 6MPS is 38PSI based on the stock tyre and size. It should be written on the sidewall of the tyre the MAX pressure in PSI and KPA. Off memory mine is 50 or 55PSI. There is a warning mentioning 40PSI max pressure ...certain conditions or something but I honestly can't remember and don't think it applied. Note: I have Falken FK452's 225/45/R18.

I would suggest a slightly higher profile than you have for your next tyre, you're on the stock size yeah?

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

That warning for max pressure only applies when they are seating the tyre during fitting. They can go way higher than that warning once theyre fitted.

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    That warning for max pressure only applies when they are seating the tyre during fitting. They can go way higher than that warning once theyre fitted.
    Yeah I think that's what it was about, cheers for that

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    No it is recommended that you did not inflate above 40PSI while seating the beads (fitting the tyre)
    The max inflation stamped on the sidewall of the tyre is max pressure the tyre manufacturer recommends for the tyres.
    It is not a smart thing to go over this pressure, it's there for a reason

i don't see the point. the difference will be 2-3mm. not really enough height increase getting on a ferry.

if you really want to know what the max is, look on the side of the tyre and read the info. would have taken less time than typing your original post.