User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pulleys / Belt

Quote Originally Posted by yodo View Post
    I had the same problem too, Dealer said it was normal as they had another MPS in for a service on the same day.
    I said "well both the cars have worn idler bearings." They assured me it was normal.

A few days later i removed both the idler and tensioner pulleys. Tensioner pulley was the culprit.
    Luckily its a metal pulley, so the bearing only can be replaced, $8.
    The idler pulley is made from plastic, so its a throw away. I replaced that with a metal version ($33) as a precaution and i can replace the bearing only if it ever fails.

The next free moment i had i went back to the dealer, walked straight up to the service manger who served me. Cut straight in front of the customer he was attending to and slammed the bearing on the desk. He looked at me, i looked at the bearing, he looked at the bearing, i walked out.

Hours later i received a call of apology.
    It was the most meaningless apology i have ever heard.
    I'm still desperate to know where you get these replacements and part numbers etc. Noise is getting worst.

Oil seal/bearing supplier.
    Part number is on the bearing or measure the OD, ID and width of the bearing.
    Any reputable bearing supplier will have an automotive specific catalogue with oem replacement part #'s for tensioners, idlers, wheel bearings etc.

---------- Post added at 09:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 AM ----------

Pretty straight forward, basic hand tools required only.
    The two most difficult tasks were slipping the belt back on while one hand is backing off the tensioner.
    Two, to remove tensioner pulley, if i still remember correctly, it uses a reverse threaded bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by High on PSI View Post
    I'm still desperate to know where you get these replacements and part numbers etc. Noise is getting worst.
    Went through a similar exercise recently. I just rocked up to Auto one with the two parts and they found suitable replacements.

I can't get the parts out as I don't have enough experience to take it apart.

I told Mazda that it's not normal and I never had the noise the begin with, they still tried to convince me that it was normal. So ****ING ridiculous

check your power steering pump it probably worn mine hisses and thats were the sound (almost cant hear it at idle) comes from but it still works fine

As well as the power steer pump suggestion, some simple solutions can be tried first before pulling it all apart and sticking an aftermarket kit in. Check with a torch for obvious collapsed bearings and wobbles in pulleys when it is running. You could try a belt anti-squeal spray first up.

yep good old belt grip wondrous stuff

This definitely isnt the power steering pump, it's so loud at idle and even louder when you rev to around 2k rpm

Quote Originally Posted by High on PSI View Post
    You can buy a whole kit on ebay bearings pulleys and belt BOSCH DRIVE BELT PULLEY KIT MAZDA 6 L3 2.3 MPS TURBO | eBay $99 + $15 postage
    05 VR 6 MPS LUXURY - WHATS STOCK????
    Winner of Most modified @ Smokeys car meet
    UP an coming events: Winton Track day 17th December

Remember pay by the 16th of November and get free lunch and drinks on day
    Next install: New Head, ARP Studs, Upgraded VVT, BSD, Mazdaspeed Coil Cover, Injector seals + studs

Hmm I reckon mine are shot too, I have noise around the belt area sounds like a whistle sort of.

Mate if your keen to drive to mandurah, i will take a look at it and give you a definitive answer to the problem, and if you source the bits before you come i will fit them for you.

sources - Im a mechanic and have a 6 also. definitely sounds like shagged idlers to me. and if they are getting noticeably louder, ide say you havnt got long before they collapse and your belt comes off.

Hey guys, check that there isn't a buildup of debris in the A/C compressor pulley. See it all the time (I'm theworkshop foreman at the biggest mazda dealer in oz). The belts develop a hard crystal looking substance after some time. Take the belt off and clean it out with a pick or small flat blade etc. Should be quieter.

Quote Originally Posted by Laxy View Post
    Hey guys, check that there isn't a buildup of debris in the A/C compressor pulley. See it all the time (I'm theworkshop foreman at the biggest mazda dealer in oz). The belts develop a hard crystal looking substance after some time. Take the belt off and clean it out with a pick or small flat blade etc. Should be quieter.
    Awesome pro tip, cheers

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Quote Originally Posted by MPS6888 View Post
    Mate if your keen to drive to mandurah, i will take a look at it and give you a definitive answer to the problem, and if you source the bits before you come i will fit them for you.

sources - Im a mechanic and have a 6 also. definitely sounds like shagged idlers to me. and if they are getting noticeably louder, ide say you havnt got long before they collapse and your belt comes off.
    How long would it take you? My car is going in for a service on Monday and I'm going to tell them, if they don't carry out the work and still try to convince me then I definitely will consider going to you on my next fishing trip down at Mandurah and leaving the car with you for a couple hours

---------- Post added at 09:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Laxy View Post
    I have no idea how to work and pull apart anything to do with the pulleys haha

if you have brought all the correct parts, ide say no longer than an hour. if there is dramas then who knows haha.

note - im not a car mechanic in a shop ide do it at my house.

im going to put a video up soon of what I think is my VVT and belt noise. If someone can chime in that would be much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by yodo View Post
    I had the same problem too, Dealer said it was normal as they had another MPS in for a service on the same day.
    I said "well both the cars have worn idler bearings." They assured me it was normal.

A few days later i removed both the idler and tensioner pulleys. Tensioner pulley was the culprit.
    Luckily its a metal pulley, so the bearing only can be replaced, $8.
    The idler pulley is made from plastic, so its a throw away. I replaced that with a metal version ($33) as a precaution and i can replace the bearing only if it ever fails.

The next free moment i had i went back to the dealer, walked straight up to the service manger who served me. Cut straight in front of the customer he was attending to and slammed the bearing on the desk. He looked at me, i looked at the bearing, he looked at the bearing, i walked out.

Hours later i received a call of apology.
    It was the most meaningless apology i have ever heard.
    So did this cost you $41 all together to fix? Mazda just told me that the tensioner pulley is from Japan but they have stock in Melbourne and it will cost me $285, I'm kind of skeptical.

Digging this back up, but can we use the bosch belt/pulley kit ax mentioned? I want to replace my belt and the pulleys and will do it myself, the belt 'hissing' is starting to peev me off BOSCH DRIVE BELT PULLEY KIT MAZDA 6 L3 2.3 MPS TURBO | eBay
    Last edited by dazza; 15-08-2012 at 02:53 PM.

whats the bearing part No. for the tensioner, if anyone has it??

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12