User Tag List

Thread: Advice Needed: Purchasing 2010 vs 2011 MPS

Question Advice Needed: Purchasing 2010 vs 2011 MPS

Hi guys - this is my first post as I've always wanted to own a 3 MPS

Went for a test drive today in the following cars:

1. Dealer Demo/used - 5800 km on the clock, black, 2010 MPS Luxury
    2. Brand new - pearl white MY11 MPS Luxury

Both were exciting to drive except for the clutch feel.

The first black MPS, I stalled coming out of the dealer, the clutch felt very stiff and heavy. After a couple of starts, I got used to it and felt OK but I'm not sure how it feel on the wet. The first two gears felt "energetic" and I could feel some torque steer.

The brand new 2011 MPS clutch on the other hand felt more softer (much easier to drive in peak hour) and 1st gear felt "toned down".

I cant find specific threads that state differences between the two years but I have heard gear ratio's being revised, but did they change the clutch?

I'm interested in purchasing the black MPS as it is a lot cheaper but I'm concerned about the clutch.

Can I get any feedback on people who have driven both 2010 and 2011 models?

Thanks
    Don

Interesting. The 2010 car sounds like mine. I stalled it easy in the early days.

But, how much difference in cost between the 2? I thought the Series II had only one model.

2010 and 2011 models are the same car, same clutch, same tune, everything.

The only difference you're feeling would have been the fact that 1 has been run in and the other hasn't. Altho it's odd that the new one has a less bitey clutch..... I know mine was grabby and awful when I first got it but one it bedded in it got a lot better, it's still a fairly bad clutch when compared with other cars on the road tho.

Apparently the new model doesn't have the 1,2,3 buttons for memory position on the front drivers seat. For whatever reason Mazda removed it for the 2011 refresh.

Might not seem like a big thing but if you have more than one driver of the car it's invaluable.

My wife would adjust just about every aspect of my seat in my old car and it was frustrating getting it back to exactly where it was. Now she just pushes a button to move it into her spot and my smart key automatically moves it back when I drive

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

I wouldn't buy a dealer demo MPS, if you can afford the new one, do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Fiend View Post
    Apparently the new model doesn't have the 1,2,3 buttons for memory position on the front drivers seat. For whatever reason Mazda removed it for the 2011 refresh.

Might not seem like a big thing but if you have more than one driver of the car it's invaluable.

My wife would adjust just about every aspect of my seat in my old car and it was frustrating getting it back to exactly where it was. Now she just pushes a button to move it into her spot and my smart key automatically moves it back when I drive

That's pretty cool , i just change the drivers seating position in my gf's car just to annoy her :P good fun haha.
    MPSX-treme

2006 MPS Sports True Red - HP-F Mazedit tune + Other go fast bits - DGR Coilovers + Semi Slicks - Numerous Sure Motorsport Additions - Dashhawk

I'd be worried about buying the previous model, especially considering that the new model has all the fruit of the old lux model, but at the old poc pack price. They must be offering a great deal on the demo...

The black mps listing price was 38k and new is 43.5k from a different dealer.

There was a red 2010 mps for 37k with 1200km on the clock (the dealer wouldnt tell me why it was 1k cheaper than the black - he said it was down to what ever price mazda auctioned it to his branch). I dont know how much to believe any of it is true.

I did notice that the red mp3 has whit'ish particles in the rear exhausts (is it a sign it has been flogged?) - i didnt test drive it as the battery was dead (apparently).

Quote Originally Posted by dsn View Post

I did notice that the red mp3 has whit'ish particles in the rear exhausts (is it a sign it has been flogged?) - i didnt test drive it as the battery was dead (apparently).
    Nah that's normal

Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

5.5k, that's a big saving. Imagine all the mods you can do with that

Tough call. Personally there are not enough positives about the new model than the old. Plus you won't have as much depreciation when you drive out the door.

Me, I'd go the demo. Plus it's the colour you want, yeah?

Same ^

Demo model over brand new almost always wins for me due to depreciation

Agreed with the guys on the demo - go for the demo. Negotiate like hell...however..if you aint in a hurry to get it, if the dealer doesnt give you a right price, walk. I waited 6 months for mine when I saw it and couldnt afford it. 6 months later walked back in and had to walk out twice because the price wasnt right. Eventually I came out with the car at the price I wanted for a 18mth old car with a decent price (for a Gen 1 though) - that was at the time the new Gen2 had just been released.

Hope my sharing my experience helps

Thanks guys. The main reason for me was the depreciation (and the right colour! ).

Looking around in carsales I've seen cheaper deals (e.g. 38k for 2011 with 142km on the clock or 35k with 2500km but all in VIC), so hopefully I can bargain it down to 35-36k)

I paid 38k for my 2010 povo pack brand new, including onroads, floormats and boot liner. Break some balls, a cheaper deal can be had for sure.