User Tag List

Thread: Safe driving with loose sway bar?

Default Safe driving with loose sway bar?

Hey guys / gals.

Seems like the front left sway bar link has come loose and i can hear a rattle when i go over uneven bumps. more of a clunk clunk. when driving straight its fine. just when i turn right or as mentioned, go over uneven bumps.

my question is. Is it safe to drive until its fixed? Its been taken in next Monday but in the meantime could i potentially be driving a vehicle that could at any moment explode? or if not to that extent, cause any suspension damage etc etc?

Thanks

Should be fine Tone, because I have totally undone one side of my sway bar for track days to see how different the car handles and it does make a huge difference so yes it will be safe ...

Quote Originally Posted by 240MPS View Post
    Should be fine Tone, because I have totally undone one side of my sway bar for track days to see how different the car handles and it does make a huge difference so yes it will be safe ...
    cool. Thanks 240.

god it makes an ugly noise though.

Yes it does, the rear sounds more annoying, it got loose not long after I bought the car new it must echo through the whole car,never really noticed the front because you weren't listening for noise
    Last edited by 240MPS; 13-10-2011 at 09:06 AM.

just sounds like something is falling apart but as 240 said .. you will be safe

I tend to disagree, If it is clunking and knocking, it meands it is damaging the threade and the bolt hole. Personally I would get under there and just doit up. a loose knocking bar is different to disconnecting.
    sorry to be a party pooper, also a loose bar can be unpredictable, and cause the car to dart and dive at different inputs.
    other option is to unbolt it completely and cable tie it up out of the way, so nothing binds up and rattles etc. Swaybars are put on a car for a reason, generally to help keep them stable and predictable.
    anyways, just a few ideas for ya.

Yeah, one of my rear endlinks came loose. Put up with it for a day or so, then got under & tightened it up. A dab of loctite might help keep them tight also.

The car won't handle correctly without it done up, as spudsec said, it will be unpredictable. I binned a 31 once due to the swaybar being loose and the nose not biting in a corner. For safety sake (and mechanical sympathy sake), do it up.

Sorry to add but I only answered the question which was is it safe to drive ? Yes it is

Quote Originally Posted by 240MPS View Post
    Sorry to add but I only answered the question which was is it safe to drive ? Yes it is
    Fair call. wasnt shooting anyone down. just makin sure all boundaries are covered as a duty of care to another motorist.

OK disclaimer here- No responsibility on our behalf. Still reckon to either do up the bolts tight or disconnect altogether to prevent extra damage.
    It is safe if driving a low speeds.
    I don't believe it to be safe over 40kph, Just through experience, I have had a sway bar mount snap after being loose on a previous car at 6o kph. thought the same, she'll be right. driving along the road the car had no on centre feeling, and no predictability. driving at 80kph, animal jumped on the road, I swerve to miss it, lack of response, understeer, Bang. thats why I say it is unsafe.
    as long as you are not going on long drives or highspeed, it will be ok, just can cause damage.

personally, if the sway is loose, it is unlikely one will be that ignorant to be driving it at it capacity till the problem is fixed.

if one has the tools to get under the car, by all means tightened it up.

Unfortunately i cant do too much with it today. It happened late last night, so I had to drive to work with the clunks. It's only a 9km drive to and from work. Will take a look and see if i can tighten it back up tonight. but if not ill leave it until Monday for the mechanic to handle.

I wonder if my boss is savvy enough to realise that its not a bad enough reason to stay home due to "totally buggered" car.

Quote Originally Posted by tone View Post
    Unfortunately i cant do too much with it today. It happened late last night, so I had to drive to work with the clunks. It's only a 9km drive to and from work. Will take a look and see if i can tighten it back up tonight. but if not ill leave it until Monday for the mechanic to handle.

I wonder if my boss is savvy enough to realise that its not a bad enough reason to stay home due to "totally buggered" car.
    Duty of Care, It is a safety hazard, so you will have to stay home till next monday to ensure there is no damage to you or the car or another motorist!

Quote Originally Posted by tone View Post

Walk or pushbike
    Like sand in the hour glass are the days of my life.

Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for a while, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never, ever the same.
    You will be in our prays
    Leelu.