User Tag List

Thread: Mazda tweet confirms next-gen rotory engine with SkyActiv tech

Default Mazda tweet confirms next-gen rotory engine with SkyActiv tech

Filed under: Japan, Technology, Mazda

In the soap opera saga of are they or aren't they still developing a rotary engine, Mazda seems to have indicated the affirmative. According to a translation of a Tweet from Mazda PR posted on a Japanese car blog, a "new model with a next-generation rotary engine" is in development.

While there's only so much to be gleaned from a single 140-character message - even in information-dense Japanese - this forthcoming vehicle will incorporate Mazda's fuel-saving SkyActiv technologies, which is only logical. Being thirsty has long been the Achilles heel of the Wankel, and anything that can help boost mileage and cut emissions should be well-received in a successor to the discontinued RX-8.Mazda tweet confirms next-gen rotory engine with SkyActiv tech originally appeared on Autoblog on Tue, 11 Oct 2011 14:01:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.
    Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...

Keeping the dream alive,
    just reissue the FD i say.
    Cheers Todd

My next car will be an RX8 but with an old school 13b for a bit of braaaaab braaaaaab.
    Just can't decide if I want a white or black one.

Skyactive, diesel, hydrogen, hybrid, turbo 16X with laser spark plugs. Sounds like an interesting engine.

Over all the rumors, just build something for gods sake.

Quote Originally Posted by Ski82 View Post
    My next car will be an RX8 but with an old school 13b for a bit of braaaaab braaaaaab.
    Just can't decide if I want a white or black one.
    for your car to be road-registerable, doing an engine swap requires the engine to be newer than the car...
    can always bridgeport the renesis probaby lose power doing it, but it'll sound proper

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

I know of a guy who has done one...this must mean his is not legal?

---------- Post added at 03:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:24 PM ----------

No point in losing power, the search is always for more

I've looked at and driven a few RX-8's on test. I think it's a great car with a great layout and smart door design, except for two aspects which drive me nuts and actually have stopped me from buying one:

1. The huge digital speedometer which looks totally out of place in a sports car panel and more like it should be on a Ford Falcon, and;

2. The idiotic loop handle of the handbrake lever which occupies an insane amount of space between the driver and the gear shift. I can only conclude it has been designed for the US market which would put it on the far side away from the driver, but it is a totally inadequate design for RH drive cars.

Sorry guys. Fix those and you might have a buyer - especially if you can get one (or preferably two) turbo's on it too!
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18