User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hey guys i need help with best front mount intercooler to buy

Default hey guys i need help with best front mount intercooler to buy

i need a hand on some ideas for a front mount intercooler kit and wat on is best to buy
    and do i haav to get rid of standard air box with all these kits and where to get a cold air box from if need to remove air box

your help will be greatly needed for me to make rite decision as i want to make more power not less

Search function is your friend!!!

I would look at the Corksports Intercooler Kits one of them replaces your airbox intake at the same time (CORKSPORT 'Power Series' Mazdaspeed 3 FMIC Kit) or if you have the patience then wait for SURE Motorsports to release their kit next year and see what is like.
    Last edited by Nirvandan; 12-10-2011 at 12:32 PM.

What about that HDI Hybrid one that always seems to be on EBay?? Anyone had any experience with them?

Yeah there is a thread about it , very good system if you want to pay $1300 , maybe get there piping and a small core cause that core is massive... Goes up behind the crash bar

Well I've got a 6 so it's slightly cheaper, might grab that one off eBay when I get my Cp-e dp.

Msg memeber 2XS (troy) he is local to you and does quality work, has a workshop where he can fit it for you....i have one and couldnt't be happier.
    Will send you pics if you want?

Avoid anything with a bar and plate designed core. I know a lot of people run bar and plate and rat on tube and fin design, but bar and plate coolers are ONLY popular due to their cheapness. A good tube and fin cooler flows far better and is far more efficient.

Personally I'm going to be finding a small-ish blitz/greddy/ jap-spec cooler when I start looking at this. You don't need a 600x300, a 450x230 etc size core will be all you need.

Ebay-spec kits generally just come with assorted pipes that may or may not fit the car... I've had run-ins with them in the past on my nissans... If you want an off-the-shelf kit, go with something from corksport etc where they've developed the kit specifically for the car.

You couldn't get any more experience with the cars then Troy!!
    Still the quickest MPS in Oz and he can answer anything you want to know.

I thought you may have used your contact across the road from your work who does all the work on his race car

Tube and Fin generally flow better than the same size Bar and Plate (which are more efficient).

All intercoolers have a % of efficientancy. To generalise tube and fin better overall is just lies.
    Some bar and plate cores are more efficient than other bar and plate cores. The % can vary from 40% upto the likes of 75%+
    As a general rule, read the above statement.

If you want flow (less restriction), get tube and fin.
    If you want to make more power from the same size core, get bar and plate.

Make your decision with regards to what you want from your car in the long run.
    Last edited by 2XS; 12-10-2011 at 11:23 PM.
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

yeah send me some pictures please

---------- Post added at 11:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    Tube and Fin generally flow better than the same size Bar and Plate (which are more efficient).

All intercoolers have a % of efficientancy. To generalise tube and fin better overall is just lies.
    Some bar and plate cores are more efficient than other bar and plate cores. The % can vary from 40% upto the likes of 75%+
    As a general rule, read the above statement.

If you want flow (less restriction), get tube and fin.
    If you want to make more power from the same size core, get bar and plate.

Make your decision with regards to what you want from your car in the long run.

i agree with you troy i want more power do you also do a custom airbox for them cars to to go with your intercooler kit

---------- Post added at 11:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by 240MPS View Post
    I thought you may have used your contact across the road from your work who does all the work on his race car
    there hopeless over there sometimes he doesnt know wat his doing half the time

My FMIC with airbox.

thanks for the help guys and troy do u make custom airboxs for the bk 2008

---------- Post added at 07:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:08 AM ----------

how much for the airbox?????? and with your intercooler kit can you leave the under bonnet ducting on bonnet will pipe clear

Yes you can leave it on, I will see what pics I have and post them up for you.
    I have pics of FMIC going on, pics without the air box and pics with. I am at work now so will post up during the day when I get time.

That would be great

The CS Front mount is good and tidily-made but the instructions are only fair to average and you need to hold your mouth right to get parts to fit in tight places. The TB inlet pipe needed modifying in mine as they had a stupid tapered end-piece to handle the diameter step-down, which I converted to a straight end. The CS kit also replaces the existing IC with an air-box and pancake filter which works well with the existing ram intakes under the bonnet lip. I've had zero issues with it, apart from the consequences of handling all the boosted air in the long piping. My boost air temps are way lower than with the stock TMIC. The bar and plate is infinitely more robust than a tube and fin type of core. The FMIC units are heavy and can get a lot of bounce being way up front if not properly mounted with vibration damping.

There are plenty of FMIC setups I've seen where the existing air filter is retained. However, I'd always run an SRI with a pod air filter and get rid of all that OEM airbox and resonator clutter, to improve engine bay space and more importantly to augment the improved breathing from having a new larger diameter cleaner-flowing TIP which should come with most FMIC kits.

I'd forget CAI's in such circumstances. Why stress over a few degrees of much vaunted "SRI heat soak" (which I view as pretty academic anyway), run a long convoluted pipe for a CAI through the hole in the LH side of the engine bay that you've just tidied up by removing the air-box and resonator, just to have the chance of ingesting water in heavy rain or puddles, when your FMIC is going to cool your intake air anyway?
    Last edited by Doug_MPS6; 13-10-2011 at 04:26 PM.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Very good info think about the Sri with a custom box and a 2xs intercooler cause there a local company and I know I won't hav problem fitting the products and I don't hav to waiting a while for stuff to arrive

Good idea, where abouts are you?
    I can always go for a drive at some stage and give you a look at my setup.
    Still at work so will send some pics to you when I get home.

Quote Originally Posted by Ski82 View Post
    Good idea, where abouts are you?
    I can always go for a drive at some stage and give you a look at my setup.
    Still at work so will send some pics to you when I get home.
    i live on northside but always keen for a drive to hav a look to see wats the best way to go i just dont really want pull all that scoop and shit off the bonnet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast