User Tag List

Thread: Squeak on sharp bumps

Default Squeak on sharp bumps

Hey guys, wondering if someone else is having this issue, I did raise this before, but now its really doing my head in. On sharp bumps I am getting a loud squeak somewhere on the drivers side front corner...Not sure where to start looking, and because its happening only when i am driving, its so hard to troubleshoot. I have tried hitting speed humps a little hard to see if i can replicate the sound, but nothing...Took it to Mazda and they didnt find anything wrong (though i doubt they even put the car up on the hoist and checked for loose nuts/bolts)...has anyone had any suspension components loosen up? or any body panels/bumper bolts loosen up? I am going to try tightening everything in sight on that corner of the car this weekend.....

P.S. with the windows up, i cant hear it. But when the windows are open, its very obvious, even to passers by....
    FUZ - Black '06 Mazda 3 MPS
    ======================
    Visit BruiserFightWear.com.au for cool TAPOUT clothing

I am getting the exact same noise. it sounds sort of like loose keys rattling in someone pocket for a split second. but only over short quick bumps.

I thought it might have been the tyre not sitting properly as i swapped the fronts to the back not long ago. Maybe i didnt tighten the wheel nut properly or something, but i havn't checked this out.

Tone - that is SPOT ON. Thats EXACTLY the very noise, i just didnt know how to describe it....I know that my brake pads are down to only 50 percent on the fronts, and maybe theres a bit of pad movement? Then again, if that was the case, then i am sure i would have bad brake issues, and i dont. Brakes are still working well, and usually when there is movement in the pad, then the outer edge of the disc gets worn, this is not the case with mine....and MAZDA cant seem to replicate the problem, they said that next time, I should take the technician for a drive to show him what i am talking about. I may need to make some time for this.... But I figured that the noise was obvious enough - surprised that they didnt notice it.....

---------- Post added at 01:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 PM ----------

Btw TONE, its not your tyre...I havent done any tyre or wheel changes for a while, but i noticed this issue not long ago...
    FUZ - Black '06 Mazda 3 MPS
    ======================
    Visit BruiserFightWear.com.au for cool TAPOUT clothing

Blog Entries

Yeah, I had the same problem after Mazda replaced my front shocks.

I asked them to fix it at the last two times I took it in for warranty work, but they said they have done all they can.

To replicate it, I just have to drive with my window down on a slightly bumpy road.

"To replicate it, I just have to drive with my window down on a slightly bumpy road"

Yep, thats how i can replicate it as well... so its the actual shock assembly making the noise? And mazda cant do anything about it!!???

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fuz View Post
    "To replicate it, I just have to drive with my window down on a slightly bumpy road"

Yep, thats how i can replicate it as well... so its the actual shock assembly making the noise? And mazda cant do anything about it!!???
    It's just my guess that it's coming from the shocks as it only started after they replaced them. They told me that they lubricated the area and that "it was up to me to decide if it was fixed." And of course, when I got it back, it wasn't fixed...if anything worse.

So yeah...that's where I'm at at the moment. But I've got far more important things going on at the moment so I haven't had time to look into it further. I'll just grin and bear it for now.
    2014 Mk7 Golf R | DSG | Reflex Silver | Leather | Drive Assist | Bi-Xenon Headlights
    1981 Lincoln Town Car | Auto | 80s Cream | 90s brown interior | 5.0L V8 | Currently no working headlights

im upto about 50% or worse on the brakes up front also. I haven't really checked it out in depth either. Wonder if its just us 3. Might take it to mazda too. They will probably try telling my my mods have caused it.

When the noise occurs, try hitting the brakes gently to see if it goes away.. Might be the pads and/or calipers moving around slightly??

Ill give that a shot next time i notice the noise.

I have this exact noise also.....gives me the absolute ****s. My brakes are also getting on now (45,000kms). If anyone gets any insight, I'm all ears. Mazda had a crack at fixing it but it made very little change at all - they chalked it up to loose sway bar links.

Pulse_Mps - I heard something similar from the guys at mazda, but its certainly not loose sway bar links. If that was the case, you would hear some noises around hard corners too i reckon...I have clocked 80,000 on my MPS 3, and this noise is really annoying me...I wonder just how many people also have this issue... I am going to try kblume suggested to rule out any possibility of it being the brakes....till then if you have anyother ideas - post them up!! :-)

Guys, this morning, I tested applying brakes on bumps which i know usually cause this noise to occur as per kblumes advice...well, i THINK that stops the noise!! I will test this again this afternoon on the way home, and over the weekend. If you guys having this issue also give it a try and let me know your findings that would be great.

I've been doin a bit of reading on this topic and it seems that it could be the brake pads rattling. My pads are presumably quite low so I am going to replace them shortly. Any advice on what to use? Apparently the Volva S40 T5 pads are identical and can be had for much less coin from a Volvo dealer. I'm going to make a few calls on Monday.

I'm going try driving on a piece of road that I KNOW causes these rattles with the brakes on tomorrow to see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by fuz View Post
    Guys, this morning, I tested applying brakes on bumps which i know usually cause this noise to occur as per kblumes advice...well, i THINK that stops the noise!! I will test this again this afternoon on the way home, and over the weekend. If you guys having this issue also give it a try and let me know your findings that would be great.
    Hey, I tried this today and it WORKED!! I drove over the bumps which usually generate the noise with the brakes on and....no noise. I'm gonna try replacing the pads ASAP.
    ]

Hey i did the same thing. and I didn't notice the noise. So it could be just that pulse. The pads, I know I need some new ones also.

Quote Originally Posted by Pulse_Mps View Post
    I've been doin a bit of reading on this topic and it seems that it could be the brake pads rattling. My pads are presumably quite low so I am going to replace them shortly. Any advice on what to use? Apparently the Volva S40 T5 pads are identical and can be had for much less coin from a Volvo dealer. I'm going to make a few calls on Monday.

I'm going try driving on a piece of road that I KNOW causes these rattles with the brakes on tomorrow to see what happens.
    Ive heard the same about the volvo pads. Let us know how u go with matching them up. The price of genuine pads is a joke!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Guys - did the same test several times over the past few days and IT WORKS!!!! so its defo the brake pads. Thanks Kblume for the suggestion!! So, PULSE - please let us know how you go with the cross referencing of those volvo pads.. Thanks!

Wow.. Alot of this issue.. Now mee too

Im changing my Rotors and Pads tonight hopefully if my machinist has got his a in to g and finished slotting the rotors..

sick of that Squeek also

its definatly not shocks as i have brand spanking new Bilsteins

I just noticed the same sqeak noise on my car last week while driving with the windows down. glad i ran into this thread. so its got to do with some movement in the stocko brakes?

Quote Originally Posted by Ranton View Post
    Im changing my Rotors and Pads tonight hopefully if my machinist has got his a in to g and finished slotting the rotors..

sick of that Squeek also

its definatly not shocks as i have brand spanking new Bilsteins
    keep us posted