User Tag List

Thread: Thoughts on dynamat for diff-whine?

1. Wink Thoughts on dynamat for diff-whine?

Hey guys well my MPS has some of the known diff-whine and I could do an MPS3 switch however for peace of mind especially in the wet to have AWD on. So I've got a thought, would placing Dynamat under the rear seats and floor behind the back seats potentially shield some of the diff-whine?

Anyone with experience with Dynamat and its effectiveness would appreciate you thoughts! Thinking of taking a different approach to this issue!

Been there, done that. No difference, you will still hear it.

I believe the diff noise is a harmonic associated with the operation of the diff coupling, which turns on and off many times per second. The noise is conducted through the diff mounts into the structure of the car - which explains why mazda6mps had no success with dynamat. I've gone the oposite way with upgraded diff mounts which transfer a lot more noise into the car and my diff really howls when the engine is making power - I actually like the sound it makes now.

At least now i get good a good bass note with all the Dynamat I laid down the back seat and boot.

I too have upgraded both mounts. The diff whine is still there, albiet less. Like kmh001, I don't mind it. If it gets too annoying, then turn up the stereo, or in your case, mps3 switch will do the trick.

The other thing you may need to consider is tyre size and pressure. Recently changed tires to Bridgestone S001, and the whine is comes on later (at 90kmh +). Running 235 40 18's, 18x8 rims.

There is a thread here somewhere which talks about tyre pressure and size. 215/45/18 seems to work at eliminating the whine somewhat, but then for the $$ to buy this size tyre, give me the whine any day.