User Tag List

Thread: Wheels and tyres advice wanted.

Default Wheels and tyres advice wanted.

My brother who has the same model of Mazda as I have [2006 MPS3] would like to start sprint racing in Brisbane and would like to know what offset would he be looking at for16 or 17 inch lightweight rims, also the tyre size [semi-slicks] most suitable for these rims? Any help would be grateful.

Keep to as close as possible to original +52 offset.
    Pushing the wheel further out ads to unsprung weight.
    And races know that's bad (ricers think its phully sik brah)

Race crew run 17" on the Gen 1 with 225's Alan,not to sure of the offset, the guys might have some spare wheels and old tyres to use if he is interested let me know and I will get in contact with Graeme and find out if there interested to sell some of them as they are on 18" wheels this year with the Gen2.

I'd be looking at picking up a set of wheels from the FD RX7.

16x8, 5x114.3, +50 offset and very light. Confirmed fitment on a stock braked 3MPS and a good choice of race tyres available.

---------- Post added at 02:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by 240MPS View Post
    Race crew run 17" on the Gen 1 with 225's Alan,not to sure of the offset, the guys might have some spare wheels and old tyres to use if he is interested let me know and I will get in contact with Graeme and find out if there interested to sell some of them as they are on 18" wheels this year with the Gen2.
    Or that, good call Rino. The guys had offered to sell us old tyres and rims a while back if we wanted them.

Thanks guys, I'll pass this onto my brother.

it really depends on your budget, i run 18s, if your racing on them stick with ADVAN, RAYS, OZ as they are built strong enough to track on, last track day a subaru driver cracked a set of Rotaz on turn 1, ouch

albion tires and more have a huge supply of 235-40-18 used Yokohama A048 semis ready to track with

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    Keep to as close as possible to original +52 offset.
    Pushing the wheel further out ads to unsprung weight.
    And races know that's bad (ricers think its phully sik brah)
    So, by having a wider rim, which may only add a little amount of unsprung weight (providing they are lightweight forged rims), is ricer? I'd think the added contact patch, particularly with semi slicks, would far outweigh the slight disadvantage you'd have with a tiny bit extra unsprung weight. I know of GTR's through my car club that went from 17x9 +30 to 18x10.5 +12 and were putting down consistently quicker times, using the same type of tyre.

To the OP, I suggest he looks at 17's, being easier to find semis, and also highly recommend Bridgestone RE55's from personal experience

8. Default

Wouldn't 16" wheels allow more flex in the tyres during cornering.. therefore, not as stable? Sorry for the noob question.