User Tag List

Thread: Engine & bay soaked with engine oil

Default Engine & bay soaked with engine oil

hi,
    i just got my 3 MPS delivered and as i drive it away, i am wondering why there is no strong pull from the engine. I noticed that the turbo boost is not coming even when i reach 3000 rpm. No engine checklight as well.
    So i just drove it to town, revving up to 4000 rpm n 120 km/h.

Feeling something not right, i pop open d engine bonnet and found that the engine oil top up cap is not there. The engine is soaked with lube oil, the bonnet insulation piece is dripping with lube oil. Then i found that the engine oil top up cap lodged between the cables.

I guessed that the mechanic must have not closed d cap properly during the oil change which i asked for before getting delivery of the new car.
    i checked the oil level, it is still well above minimum level.

will the engine suffer any damage? how about the turbo because it is not spooling up?

Will the oil damage the paint in the engine bay and seep into the electrical cables & sensors?

I have told the dealer about this and they will tow the car today.

2. Default

Do the right thing and name and shame this dealership.

Quote Originally Posted by joker View Post
    Do the right thing and name and shame this dealership.
    That's not going to resolve his immediate issue. Accidents sometimes happen and I doubt it was intentional. Give the dealer a chance to rectify it before blasting bad karma out there .

Besides, if kippo is actually from overseas as his profile suggests, it won't make much impact

Re damage to the engine it's hard to know. I would be putting the onus back on the dealership to not only resolve any problems that arose from the mishap, but also insisting on a steam clean of the engine bay at their expense

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk
    Last edited by Caffeine Fiend; 08-10-2011 at 10:11 AM.
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Hi Kippo.
    Sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience.
    Ditto what Caffeine Fiend says.
    I'm assuming that your car is new. Correct?
    May I suggest that after the dealer cleans up the mess they've made, you take a new MPS3 for a spin. If the dealer car spools up more quickly than yours, then that is the time to be asking some serious questions.
    Hope all goes well.

BTW, where are you based?

yep, i am from d far east. Been lurking on this forum while waiting for d car delivery as i found this forum to be active and informative

i just need some guidance in what to do with the engine and what to check so that i will not have problems later.
    It is a new car, just got delivery of it hence only 70km on d clock.

will cleaning with soap will do? or steam cleaning is the best?

my worry with oil is that it likes to seep into everything hence the electrical cables & sensors may be ok now but i am not sure in the future.

what baffles me is that why d turbo not boosting? is there any engine sensors that detect if the engine oil cap is open, the wastegate will open to not spool d turbo?

thanks

Brand new? Straight back to the dealer, don't touch it or do anything. Just go straight back to the dealer!

Quote Originally Posted by TD View Post
    Brand new? Straight back to the dealer, don't touch it or do anything. Just go straight back to the dealer!
    this ^

---------- Post added at 06:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 PM ----------

and im sorry but all i can think of with this thread is jeremy clarkson going "what manner of terrible things has happened under my bonnet???"
    Top Gear - Motorhome (Legendado) (Parte 2/3) - YouTube
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Turbo issue is probably because the ECU would have detected the problem and put the car into "limp mode"

I doubt you will have any serious issues, but i would get it to the dealer, don't touch a thing. And notify mazda, not to complain, but just to make sure they have a note of what has happend should you have a problem later down the track you can fall back on this incident.

Mate had a similar problem with a brand new moto Guzzi bike. After the first service the dealer didn't tighten the sump plug and it fell out and dumped all its oil. 6 years down the track he has had no problems

brought d car to the dealer rep. workshop here after a mazda tech. flew from d mainland (i'm on an island here). He found d engine checklight is there but he didnt bring d diagnostic tool. He just recommends d workshop to clean the engine with high pressure water jet which did not remove all d oil (no steaming equipment here).
    So d car is left there in d workshop while he flew back to get the diagnostic tool next week.

hope d oil has not damage any rubber or sensors parts..

They should in theory give the car back to you even cleaner than it was when you bought it. Just as long as they are careful with the cleaning.

Grajy would know a good way of cleaning an engine bay.

got the car back

as there is no steam cleaning service here, the mechanic just cleaned d engine with detergent & jet it with water. Then they dry it by using compressed air.
    the bonnet insulation cover is removed as it is soaked with oil. Now waiting for replacement to come, hope the bonnet paint will not get cooked for now.

The engine checklight is due to cam sensor cable connection being either loose or oil gets in. The Mazda mechanic reset it using d diagnostic laptop.

took d car for a spin, the torque pull is simply marvelous
    have not WOT yet as i need to get used to d car first. It is quite stable as well.

my gripe is that from 1st. gear to 2nd. gear, the engine behave as if it is a NA car. The boost hardly picked up.
    when i shift up to 3rd, the car personality changed

just wondering, is this how the torque limiter supposed to work or this kind of engine response is not normal?

That's normal the way it feels in low gears. Cheap hypertech flash tune fixes that.
    And the bonnet pad is for sound deadening, nothing to do with heat, so no need to worry about that

Ideal shift point in non modified MPSs is around 5500 rpm. Beyond that the computer starts closing the throttle plate in 1st and 2nd as part of the torque limiting. Not much point in going beyond that

Keep an eye on the check engine light (CEL) also. If it comes on again, straight back to the dealer

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk

thanks for help guys, you r great