User Tag List

Thread: Boost sensor - K5T48484 L39K 5910 - What are you!?

Default Boost sensor - K5T48484 L39K 5910 - What are you!?

Hey guys,

I've disassembled the intake side of my MPS6, and noticed that a sensor attached to the turbine housing has had it's hose fitting cracked, and when I removed it the fitting came off completely.
    I just want to find out, what's the purpose of this sensor? I'll patch this one up and order a new one from mazda, but any insight into it (or anyone that can quote me a good price on a new one) would be extremely welcomed.

Details on the side:
    K5T48484
    L39K

Cheers,
    Aaron
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sfYs7.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	9736  

Answer discovered - It's the Boost controller. lol.
    Apparently it can be ordered for around $60US, anyone here work in Mazda spares?

Yep, it's the boost control solenoid. Take the opportunity to ditch the fragile OEM plastic piece of crap and grab a robust aftermarket one like this:

Grimmspeed Electronic Boost Control Solenoid (Mazdaspeed 3/6) - Modern Automotive Performance

Mine took 3 days to arrive from the US ordering from these guys and cost to the door was around US$136ish. Well worth a little extra expense to get something which won't break, and has further potential to be incorporated into a tune. Use the coupon code FB5Percent to get 5% off your order.

Install is a 10 minute job, very simple.

--------

You can drive with the OEM one broken/glued/taped if the broken connection is the one on top (the vertical one) which goes to the turbo inlet pipe, just avoid boosting if you can (i.e. change gear at 2500rpm!). I literally putted around for 5 days like that with no ill effects. If it's the connection to the wastegate actuator (the horizontal one) which is broken I'd leave it parked
    Last edited by TD; 06-10-2011 at 07:50 AM.

Thanks TD
    I think it was LittleRedMPS last night in the chat box that helped me hugely finding the part number for it, and I've ordered the grimmspeed unit.

In the interim (and against littleredmps's advice, sorry man) I've glued the original one back together.
    Reason being, is that the nipple that broke off is on the TIP side, and as such isn't pressurised.

Tip for anyone looking to repair their own one: Coat the end of a wooden skewer in Vaseline, slide it down the middle of the broken nipple and then use that as an alignment tool to keep any glue from going into the solenoid. Tarzans grip worked for me, melted the plastic just right and made a very solid weld.

Of course, the aftermarket solenoid will go on asap, but this does work.

Pro tip:
    The car also needs it's MAF sensor re-connected to run... lol ;-)

Good thing it was the one that fed back into the TIP, you'll be right to drive around with the glue repair until your Grimspeed turns up.

MAF schMAF...who needs one of those?

My car has been a little rough coming on boost under light load, I wonder if I should buy a Grimspeed boost sensor or if I need a new wastegate actuator.
    Last edited by andy b; 19-12-2011 at 08:56 AM.