User Tag List

Thread: In for a shock with Bilsteins..

Default In for a shock with Bilsteins..

Today I had my MPS 6 booked in to have Bilsteins fitted. I got a call to tell me that they were unable to replace the rears because the subframe would need dropping, and it would cost considerably more than the original quote.

Whilst inspecting the underside of the car, I noticed that the rear diff was leaking, and the sway bar bushes needed replacing. I decided to go to Mazda to get a price as I am also due for a 120,000km service. I was quoted around $1800 from memory (had alot of thoughts running through my head) for the labour in fitting rear shocks, replacing a diff seal and the sway bar bushes, and the service (including new diff oil). Seems like alot to me.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do in the Newcastle - Hunter area? If I save alot I might even travel to Sydney.

Hey Andy,
    Give Rutherford Muffler & Suspension a call 02 49326833. (They only charged me $90 to fit my Cobb springs)
    Id be buying the parts you need .....and go from there.
    No way it would come near the price Mazda is quoting.

(how much did the Bilsteins cost you?)
    Last edited by AD07; 04-10-2011 at 07:27 PM.

I had them do an exhaust on my last car, I will have to give them a call. I think the 6 is a little more complex due to AWD, but like you say it should not even approach the price I have been quoted. I wonder if they do diff seals as well (or if they really need to drop the subframe to do that - if not I could get Mazda to do that part).

Bilsteins cost me about $650 to the door from therpmstore.com

4. Default

Sounds like the Bilstiens are the B6 version. MIne came from the same place.
    I had a whiteline rear sway bay fitted at the same time as the Bilstiens and Eibachs the total cost for labour was around the $550 - $600 mark.
    And yes they dropped the entire rear end and exhaust system to do it.
    Also got lucky /unlucky as my two front tires were split on the inside and I was offered a substantial discount on new tyres.

Whitewun

Quote Originally Posted by andy b View Post
    I had them do an exhaust on my last car, I will have to give them a call. I think the 6 is a little more complex due to AWD, but like you say it should not even approach the price I have been quoted. I wonder if they do diff seals as well (or if they really need to drop the subframe to do that - if not I could get Mazda to do that part).

Bilsteins cost me about $650 to the door from therpmstore.com
    You can only ask about the diff seal. Hopefully it wont be a problem for them.
    Let us know how you go.

Quote Originally Posted by whitewun View Post
    Sounds like the Bilstiens are the B6 version. MIne came from the same place.
    I had a whiteline rear sway bay fitted at the same time as the Bilstiens and Eibachs the total cost for labour was around the $550 - $600 mark.
    And yes they dropped the entire rear end and exhaust system to do it.
    Also got lucky /unlucky as my two front tires were split on the inside and I was offered a substantial discount on new tyres.

Whitewun
    Yeah the B6, I was also thinking of getting a sway bar because it would make little to no difference to the overall cost if the whole rear is being dropped.

I'm also due for new tyres and have ordered some in. Must just be an expensive phase in the life of an MPS6!

Quote Originally Posted by AD07 View Post
    You can only ask about the diff seal. Hopefully it wont be a problem for them.
    Let us know how you go.
    Thanks mate I appreciate it, will call tomorrow

7. Default

I can tell you that the B6, Eibachs and whiteline rear bar make a hell of a difference to the handling.
    For some reason my son keeps wanting to borrow the 6 and take it through the Canberra roundabouts.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by whitewun View Post
    I can tell you that the B6, Eibachs and whiteline rear bar make a hell of a difference to the handling.
    For some reason my son keeps wanting to borrow the 6 and take it through the Canberra roundabouts.
    Also cause he has a 3 ... far inferior
    Taken my boring, bland, lame Subaru and my fat ass and driven off into the sunset with a smile on my face

9. Default

Hey Betty,

Next time we meet you can check the ride hight - see if it would make it up your driveway. Breakfast meet at the end of the month
    There are plans to get the 3 up to the same level - already has some Eibachs ready to install - but is also considering some coilovers that Troy recommends.
    Works out at about the same price as a set of Bilstiens or Koni yellows

Whitewun

Quote Originally Posted by AD07 View Post
    Hey Andy,
    Give Rutherford Muffler & Suspension a call 02 49326833. (They only charged me $90 to fit my Cobb springs)
    Id be buying the parts you need .....and go from there.
    No way it would come near the price Mazda is quoting.

(how much did the Bilsteins cost you?)
    Hi Ad, I called Rutherford Mufflers and they said they would need to see the car, unfortunately they don't work weekends and I just can't get away from work otherwise. I have booked it in with a small workshop that a friend recommended (owned by a friend of his, and he gets his car done there).

The car is booked in for Thursday so I will let you know then, but he has given an indicative quote - I made sure I told him that Mazda suggested 2 additional hours work over the recommended time but he said according to his computer it didn't look like too much of a big job. I am also getting him to do diff seals which I am picking up on Wednesday (which reminds me to buy diff oil) and I am thinking about getting either a Whiteline or Corksport rear sway bar.

Well after leaving my car with a mechanic all day and having nothing done, I decided to do it myself (ok I had some help from family but we got the job done). Replaced the diff oil with Penrite Limslip 90 and so far so good.

Now for a service and wheel allignment and I'll be set!