User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ask spudspec

Can you not get them over there?
    for frieght you need to add approx 30-50bucks per tyre thats the only downer

---------- Post added at 10:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 AM ----------

Hey guys, ok, 235/40/18- 410per tyre. +freight. unfortuneately in perth there is only 3 in stock. let me know how interested you are and I will see if Gav can organise to get heap more.
    Can you not get them over there???

Or buy them from Tirerack for USD$239, even with freight you'll save more than $100 per tyre.

Sorry spud, I'm not a fan of the great Australian sport of price gouging, despite one of the retailers you mention being a neighbour of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudspec View Post
    Now I work as an oil annalysis Technician
    So is that you looking thrilled to be at work in your lab coat on page 10 of the September issue of Australia's Mining Monthly?

Quote Originally Posted by TD View Post
    So is that you looking thrilled to be at work in your lab coat on page 10 of the September issue of Australia's Mining Monthly?
    No not me in the lab coat sorry.

---------- Post added at 12:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    Or buy them from Tirerack for USD$239, even with freight you'll save more than $100 per tyre.

Sorry spud, I'm not a fan of the great Australian sport of price gouging, despite one of the retailers you mention being a neighbour of mine.
    No Dramas there, if they are that cheap, I am keen on getting some at some point. I am all about offering Alternatives just incase they are better than what other people have seen.. I am intreagued now, who your neighbour is they are both alright guys???

FYI
    Hi All. Well, for anyone who has Diff Wine issues between 60-80km/h. here is a what the MPS guy at MAzda has said.

By the way, I asked some about your faults to a quality control guy and his initial comments are;

the rear diff has problems with noise
    It's probably about whine noise around 40-50kmph which is too high due to very rear torque biased normal noise as this car. The claims are raised especially in Australia and some special units were sent to fix them

Last edited by duglet; 09-11-2011 at 02:06 AM. Reason: font size

Hey Spudspec,
    Since you work as an Oil Annalysis Tech and also have worked with Mazda in the past....
    Please tell me your thoughts on new car engine run in with new cars these days.
    Some say they flog it straight out of the yard as the engines are so well built and have been pre run in on a stand before hand.
    And others say this is a big no no... would love to hear your opinion.
    Cheers

I am Old school on this topic. the oil is there to serve a few purposes, lubricate, cool and carry away contamination. with all my race engines, road car engines etc even my new cars I have had, always for the first 2000ks take it easy and not load up the engine too muchI always get the dealer to change the oil after a bout 200ks, even with great protest on their behalf(unless you are lucky enough to get a good old school service manager) So, alot of people including performance engine builders will tell you not to worry and thrash it out of the box, but i maintain if you ease it in and look after it, it will look after you, also I have heard( although no one will tell me officially ) ne cars are actually restricted for the first 1500ks by the dealers, and when you go for the first checkup, they are unlocked, But I have not been able to get anyone to confirm nor deny this. It is important I think to vary the revs, so if you do a nice long triip to run it in, dont set it on cruis control and sit on one speed, mix it up, up and down gears asa you drive etc. it actually helps with the bedding in of the driveline too. its not just engines you need to runin, it is gearboxes and diffs etc. I know of 2 awesome engine builders over here, each has their own version. IE thrash from the start and bed it in slowly. the results speak for themselves.. the ease it in guy. has the most reliable and long lasting engines, gearboxes and diffs. the thrash it guy, has awesome power and engines that work as soon as they on the track, BUT, they are hand grenades a nd even his road engines perform relly well, BUT you dont get the life out of them.

hope this is a good insight for you all!
    SPUD

also I have heard( although no one will tell me officially ) new cars are actually restricted for the first 1500ks by the dealers, and when you go for the first checkup, they are unlocked, But I have not been able to get anyone to confirm nor deny this. SPUD
    it's all lies.
    Mazda de-tune your car at the first service and every service after that.
    I had mine "serviced" for the engine mount recall, it came out with less power and torque. I was told by Mazda Service, I have to get the "update" to keep my warranty. I was told the "update" reduces torque to stop the engine mount braking again. Good to see I overcame that reduced power/torque problem pretty quickly
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

Hi spudspec,
    From my reading of the MPS6 reviews when it was first released, I understand the chassis setup was optimised for Bridgestone RE050 tyres. I have always run these tyres with my car. How important is it to keep with OEM tyres?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LateralGs View Post
    Hi spudspec,
    From my reading of the MPS6 reviews when it was first released, I understand the chassis setup was optimised for Bridgestone RE050 tyres. I have always run these tyres with my car. How important is it to keep with OEM tyres?

Good Question. YES and NO. your optimum setup is with std wheels and the bridgies.BUT you need to remember that they are setup and chassis tuned in JAPAN on japnese roads etc. the OEMs spend litterally years and Millions of dollars to come up with a combo that is the best effective combination. -BUT. as you would have seen, the std bridgies are expensive. and there are much better tyres available. so every mod on tyres, wheels and even if you change brake rotors or calipers, it is going to change the effective ride control.- AGAIN BUT, the average normal daily driver would not actually feel a difference apart from maybe sharper steering, from lower profile tyres, more or less road noise depending on typre type and mabye better or worse traction/braking efficiency. Dont worry about changing tyres or even wheels as if they are lighter than std it will just feel a bit more sporty as the shocks are more sensitive.
    ALWAYS we need to remember, a new car is setup to be a compromise and also to be detuned as a safety feature. They are designed to be understeery, and perhaps not have the sharpest throttle response. all for Safety. apparently.

---------- Post added at 10:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    it's all lies.
    Mazda de-tune your car at the first service and every service after that.
    I had mine "serviced" for the engine mount recall, it came out with less power and torque. I was told by Mazda Service, I have to get the "update" to keep my warranty. I was told the "update" reduces torque to stop the engine mount braking again. Good to see I overcame that reduced power/torque problem pretty quickly
    Hahah. Cheers. I always knew it was a conspiracy. . . . . Its all to do with the aluminati!! that is it, even our cars are drawn into the great Aluminati argument...
    Working on my friend in japan to send me a japanese ECU, for a giggle to see how far they do restrict the Aussie delivered car.. not sure how I will go. alwways worth asking!

Hahah. Cheers. I always knew it was a conspiracy. . . . . Its all to do with the aluminati!! that is it, even our cars are drawn into the great Aluminati argument...
    Mental note to self. The man knows too much.....

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Thanks for the response Spudspec. So running a set 235/40R18's (Pilots, RE-11 or AD08) on RX-8 rims would not be at the detriment of ride quality / handling balance that Mazda has spent thousands of hours perfecting and was highly praised for when the MPS6 was released?

Erm, At the end of the day, it comes down to what you feel and how you want the car to feel and look. It is not going to cause such a dramatic change. as i said, might just be a bit noisier.

I've posted a thread about this but in your opinion, how often do you change the spark plugs on these DISI turbo motors? As i hear they wear out quicker especially when your running more boost. And also, how often should one clean the intake valves due to carbon breakup? Is there anyway to prevent it from happening less?

Quote Originally Posted by 3MPSPWR View Post
    I've posted a thread about this but in your opinion, how often do you change the spark plugs on these DISI turbo motors? As i hear they wear out quicker especially when your running more boost. And also, how often should one clean the intake valves due to carbon breakup? Is there anyway to prevent it from happening less?
    How long do we have. Everyone has a different opinion...
    Plugs, depends on what plugs you are running. talk to a performance engine builder regarding hotter or colder temp range depending on boost and tuning.etc.
    Carbon buildup on valves in the combustion chamber they can run a decarburizer. and I think it cleans the intake also, But again for performance seek a prospec engine builder. Personally I am not a fan of doing those cleaner things.. but they need doing everynow and then. newre motors shouldnt have much of an issue i would have thought, but havent had much experience with them. Will speak with Japan and see what i can findout.

ACCOMPLISHED
    RX8 Cold air intake install. Now understand. can do eaily if anyone wants it done. had a nice night helpin Dazza. and the RX8 sounds mint. took me a bit longer than I thought, always the way when you do the first one.. next step to design a better one for the 6 and 3 mps.

ACCOMPLISHED
    RX8 Cold air intake install. Now understand. can do eaily if anyone wants it done. had a nice night helpin Dazza. and the RX8 sounds mint. took me a bit longer than I thought, always the way when you do the first one.. next step to design a better one for the 6 and 3 mps.
    it's a PITA installing it on a RX8 hey?
    i helped a friend of mine install one on another car... took about 2 hours... fark...
    (and for all those who know my mechanical skills, as far as i know that car is still running perfectly fine!)
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    it's a PITA installing it on a RX8 hey?
    i helped a friend of mine install one on another car... took about 2 hours... fark...
    (and for all those who know my mechanical skills, as far as i know that car is still running perfectly fine!)
    Once I found the clips and worked out the sequence it wasnt too bad actually. we took our time as there was alot of me talking smack and waffles, but the RX8 was an easyone. is a 2 person job though just to hold stuff. Now I know what is involved it shouldnt be that hard now.. its just all about knowing the sequnce.
    Good to see you have the Skills to ensure the cr runs ok

19. Default

ACCOMPLISHED
    You did a great job Spud! Had some fun today zoom zoom zooming around. Is an odd sound to get used to, whisper quiet whilst cruising, jump on the throttle and it's a totally different beast

Daz

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12