User Tag List

Thread: Improving 3 MPS GenII handling

Default Improving 3 MPS GenII handling

My previous ride was a suzuki swift sport.
    I do find that Mazda 3 MPS GenII suspension is softer compared to the swift sport.

Other than changing to coilovers, will adding all these sway/strut bars help much?

Mazda 3 MPS (2010) MZR 2.3T Front Upper Strut Bars | Strut Braces | Strut Tower Bar | UR-TW2-1345

Strut brace will do SFA.

rear sway bar is a cheap, simple and very effective mod

What advantage is a front strut bar? Anyone please tell me.

Wtf is that 'room bar'? Looks like something from a prison bus to chain convicts too.

RSB ftw! Mine (whiteline) helped the balance and added some oversteer, and better tires (advan ad08) made it much more predictable and easier to control in the twisties.

Sent from my evil apple using TapaCrash

Strut bar is designed to stop the strut towers from flexing in corners therefore keeping your geometry correct.
    The actually do a good job and noticeable on the road.
    However on a 3 I see no point at all, the strut towers are close to the firewall and wouldn't flex much, and they are already braced to the firewall.
    So really they are just for value on a 3.

Thanks Brad, I wont be a jerk!

Quote Originally Posted by AlanC View Post
    What advantage is a front strut bar? Anyone please tell me.
    A front strut bar (or strut brace) helps limit chassis torsion/twisting while cornering.

The MPS comes standard with front strut bracing, and increasing it's size with an aftermarket unit like this will give minimal gain over the factory unit. Unless you're going through and bracing everything else down the car as well, at which point it starts to make the car significantly less practical as a road car in terms of comfort, carrying space etc etc

I know an Evo driver who I used to work with who went down this path with bracing and basically turned what was a very nice road car into an impractical harsh-riding pig. Uprated strut braces, under-floor chasis bracing down the car, and a cross-bracing that effectively filled the boot to the point where he couldn't even carry a spare.

He eventually stopped driving it every day because it was too tiring. Sure, he picked up a few seconds around Sandown, but it basically made the car undrivable on the road on a daily basis.

Edit: Brad beat me to it lol

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk
    Last edited by Caffeine Fiend; 03-10-2011 at 10:49 AM.
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

there's always a compromise with these sorts of things, handling or harshness. its just finding that happy medium. a front strut brace is different to a rear sway bar. the former is stiffening the chassis, the latter controlling the amount of body roll (suspension). both however contribute to how a car will handle.

but as others have said, the MPS 3 already comes with bracing on the front strut towers

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    Strut brace will do SFA.
    what does it mean by 'SFA' ?

---------- Post added at 01:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 AM ----------

thanks guys. Looks like the rear sway bar is the only one that need to be changed.

Quote Originally Posted by kippo View Post
    what does it mean by 'SFA' ?

---------- Post added at 01:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 AM ----------

thanks guys. Looks like the rear sway bar is the only one that need to be changed.
    SFA = sweet f**k all.