User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Outcome of 100K kms MPS6 Service !!! $600 later...

Default Outcome of 100K kms MPS6 Service !!! $600 later...

bit of a rant...

100 000km MPS6 service at melville mazda (perth) = $600
    going through the list of services and parts and labour has me seriously scratching my head on the charges for certain items/parts.

owned my MPS6 for almost 2 years, no issues with it, with the exception of a startup noise (a short slight rattle) from the engine bay which ive started noticing in the last few months, which i pointed out for checkup.

diagnosis = problem with the VVTI ...which they have advised will be required to be stripped and further assessed ($1800)

and btw, my RHS engine mount has collasped.

bugger.

hopefully i will be able to claim those on warranty (i got suckered into paying $$$ for an extended 3 year warranty through a company called swann upon purchase of the vehicle)

oh and my clutch is starting to slip too (i knew this would happen sometime soon and have been researching where to order...mps garrage have it for around $1200 posted)
    melville mazda quoted $4000 fitted!!!

My 100,000km = $215 @ Cypher just around the corner from Melville, though I suppose you'd have to service with your dealership to keep in line with the extended warranty...

Oh, and $4000 fitted? I'd kindly tell them to stick it.

Holly fk! 4 grand for a clutch?...

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckie Cheese View Post
    My 100,000km = $215 @ Cypher just around the corner from Melville, though I suppose you'd have to service with your dealership to keep in line with the extended warranty...

Oh, and $4000 fitted? I'd kindly tell them to stick it.
    normal services are around $300...just wasnt expecting double that.
    i dont have to go to the dealership as the warranty is a third party, and as long as its an "authorised" place? whatever that means.

but yeah...i think the guy was just pulling figures out of his arse...hence why im a bit reluctant to let them "strip the vvti"
    tell me more about this cypher place?

Zack at Cypher industries, knows his shit. Although my 60,000km service was over $300, damn $215 is cheap.

Keep us posted on the outcome of the warranty claim, JohnnyC.
    I also have an extended warranty with Melville Mazda, although mine requires the vehicle to be serviced with them (usually at about $200 a pop).
    So far they've replaced the water pump, repaired the driver's seat and resprayed one panel without a qualm, but I'd be really interested in how they approach the VVTI actuator, given that it is a known problem with these engines.

Rattle could be timing chain pre tensioner.
    Either way its a known issue so you may get Mazda to do it under warranty anyway.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Probably a silly question, but do companies like Swan warranty cover clutches?

My Warranty specifically excludes the clutch on turbo cars.

$4000 clutch....? Do you need a new flywheel/thrust bearing or something?

Crap man, I thought Parkland wanted to take us for a ride, But gees, 4k---- I got 20,000 ks before I need to do the 100k service, also had a few noise issues under the bonnet, but service guy said, it was normal.
    anyways, Maybe we need to poole resources and geta hoist and a workshop. learn to do this stuff ourselves.
    cluch kit, lightened flywheel and bearings is only about 1200bucks all up!!

Quote Originally Posted by guitar69 View Post
    My Warranty specifically excludes the clutch on turbo cars.
    In my case the warranty specifically excluded the clutch on 4WD/AWD cars...

Quote Originally Posted by rogwick View Post
    $4000 clutch....? Do you need a new flywheel/thrust bearing or something?
    Mazda (and everyone else) tell me that new clutch almost always means new flywheel, as it is a Dual Mass Flywheel and cannot be machined. The flywheel alone is $1600...

Quote Originally Posted by Spudspec View Post
    Crap man, I thought Parkland wanted to take us for a ride, But gees, 4k---- I got 20,000 ks before I need to do the 100k service, also had a few noise issues under the bonnet, but service guy said, it was normal.
    anyways, Maybe we need to poole resources and geta hoist and a workshop. learn to do this stuff ourselves.
    cluch kit, lightened flywheel and bearings is only about 1200bucks all up!!
    Clutch kit, including Single Mass Flywheel conversion is $1600 from Exedy, then $500-$1000 to install (6-10 hour job)

Mazda quoted me the following to do it;
    Clutch Kit: $780
    Flywheel: $1600
    FWheel bolts: $40
    Gearbox Oil: $50
    Labour: $1100

See here for my thread on this... http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/drive...placement.html

The downside of owning a fun car...

Chris.
    '05 MPS 6, Liquid Silver Metallic, Leather, Sunroof.

DashHawk, TurboSmart Dualport, COBB SF SRI and TIP, CPe REM, 2XS Titanium SSP, Coolant bypass,
    Exedy OEM spec clutch, Corksport SS Braided Clutch Line, ROH Mantis 18*7.5+45.

Growing old is compulsory... Growing up is optional...

I'm not quite sure why your service cost $600, I just checked my 100k service receipt from April, and it cost $237 - I supplied my own engine and transmission oil but even if I didn't, I can't see why it would cost more than $500.

One of the items listed on the docket was spark plugs, according to my owners manual the plugs need to be replaced at 70,000km. I replaced my own plugs at that point (and again at 100,000km but that's a different story) but your service department might also have the plugs at 100,000km on their system so that could be why.

I have a 2005 model, there could be an update to the schedule.
    Last edited by andy b; 03-10-2011 at 05:59 PM.

Geepers. I am thinking It is time to find a workshop with a hoist and do some of these Hotups/ replacements, not for the cash, just to provide a cheaper alternative to the extorsionistic prices.. Wishing I had $$$$$$$ to start my own shop, With a lathe and a mill, so I could make some gucci hotup parts. Used to make/modify flywheels, made a couple of Ally ones iin a former job.. no access to machines now, so makes it harder.

Oh and by the way, read the fine print of the extended warranty, sometimes they only cover the first thousand or couple of thousand dollars of each repair

For people in Perth looking for somewhere decent to service their MPS6, I've been going to Tokyo Motorsport in Welshpool. The guys know their stuff, have worked on MPS6's for a few years, and are an Evo workshop - so they know AWD's well.
    My last service (125,000kms) included diff and trans oils, filters, etc etc plus a full mechanical inspection, came to around $500 all up.

I'm not familiar with the MPS6, but from my experience, 100,000km usually involves a major service - I know that for my car it involves the water pump, timing kit (belts/pulleys etc) in addition to the usual things, and of course, Mazda will charge more than a small workshop/private mechanic.

If it makes you feel any better - I paid nearly twice as much for my 220,000 service on the 626.

My Mazda dealer (Jason Mazda) did ask for $470 for a 60,000km service though, does that sound right?

Yeah i stopped going to Mazda early on in the piece, as soon as i had my Chiptorque tune
    i didn't want them to touch it, but yeah my 100k service was in the $250 mark.
    Although i am thinking of going back for the next service as i have a few driveline noises.
    I just have to be prepared to bend over i guess
    Cheers Todd

I got charged $1600 for my 100k service. No problems at all with the car.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast