User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DSLR reccomendations?

Default DSLR reccomendations?

Hey,
    hoping people can lend me some advice with picking up a DSLR camera for my trip
    i dont know anything about them, but would like it all to come in under $1000 for lenses + carry case if that's not too much to ask
    reasoning for getting one?

compared to:

ive done a quick dig through a few websites, and have browsed through the cameras at a store near my work in the city
    found the following:
    Canon Digital slr Cameras | Canon Camera Lenses | Canon Digital Camera Accessories | Canon Digital slr

Nikon slr cameras | Nikon Digital slr Cameras | Nikon camera lenses | Nikon camera accessories <-- comes highly rated

Camera shop Sydney | Camera Repairs Sydney | Camera Tradeins Sydney - Camera Stores Sydney <-- have found a lot of use for panoramic view with current camera

anyways, anyone got some advice?
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Hey Sam, I have a Nikon D3000 which retailed for $900 when purchased although now I think around the $600 mark (no extra lenses) It might be the D3100 now (revised model)

Question, do you know if that first photo is edited at all? Just for info...I copied the pics you loaded and just done a simple edit on them...what do you think?

Quality isn't the best as I simply "saved image as" from the browser

Anyway,

Original (your image you supplied)

Tripe fused edited image

HDR image edit

Obviously can't go wrong with a decent camera though

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

If you don't mind a grey import, Kogan.com.au
    Prices are quite good.
    Got my Canon 550d from there, i'm a beginner so this camera suits me fine.

Choice Magazine (www.choice.com.au) are doing an article on DLRS's.

the original was unedited...
    captured using hi exposure settings

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Yeldarb View Post
    Choice Magazine (www.choice.com.au) are doing an article on DLRS's.
    out within the next week?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

The Canon newbie packs are fantastic for beginners. 1000D/1100D and 550D twin lens kits will probably all be in your price range, with a nice 8gb+ card as well. JB actually do some really good prices too.

Consider a UV and polarising filter as well. Maybe a tripod if you are going to take some sexy stills or time lapse.

TBH though; if you can push for Canon Digital slr Cameras | Canon Camera Lenses | Canon Digital Camera Accessories | Canon Digital slr then youll have a great newbie friendly camera. The flip out LCD screen is fantastic as you can preview your time lapse photos (close to) what they will actually come out as. You can also do those low to the ground looking at the car shots and see what you are shooting. The image processor is great, it shoots 1080p video, has mega ISO ranges, its 18MPixel and fits really nicely in the hand compared to my 1000D. Of course this means $1200+card+bag. You might be able to get it all at JB Hifi for $1200 if you are good

You can pick up remotes off ebay for about $3 shipped too

8. Default

Quite seriously: how far do you want to go, and what do you want to shoot?

DSLR's are a bad choice as they're a serious time investment to take good photos

Quote Originally Posted by Lardman View Post
    Quite seriously: how far do you want to go, and what do you want to shoot?

DSLR's are a bad choice as they're a serious time investment to take good photos
    how far?
    well, i would like a good camera to take good photos... something i can pick up, play with a couple of settings and have it take crisp clean photos, and i've yet to find a decent compact that can come close to matching a DSLR

as for editing (like what andre has done) not so much into that... just want something i can learn to use to start taking decent photos with in a reasonable short(ish) amount of time

realise it will take a while to become truly proficient in the use of it

Editing takes time and can be boring, agreed its not for everyone. Also when you take hundreds of photo's the last you want to do is edit them all. I'm still learning and still have the standard lens my camera came with. I'd like to produce better shots via education and photographic licence rather than spending $$ on lenses right now. I got a fair bit to go but getting there slowly.

I'd still recommend something equivelent to mine. I think mine is the entry for Nikon's DSLR range. It's can't do what some of the higher models can do but if you like some of my shots then its a great camera. My mate who was at the shoot has a D5000 (I think its 1 model higher) I won't show all his edited photo's as I know you're not into that but this one is slightly edited (border etc) I've never been able to manually focus and have a clear shot (focus point) with a blur in the background like this shot with a compact camera

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

11. Default

There's proficient and then professional - If you want a compact look at the Olympus EP2 or the Panasonic GF2.

DSLR wise it's something you can't exactly "Point and shoot"
    Case in point, I've been shooting for just around 2 and a bit years now, and I can do things like this:

DSC_1899 by reijin.au, on Flickr

And then this is me when I first started out.

Fire on the lake by ~reijin-au on deviantART

Clicky Clicky for the high res versions.

Canon 1000D
    with NO image processing effects. This is straight from the camera.

Canon 600D with HDR effects

Love the Blue MPS shots, look so crisp and the night shots look brilliant

what's attracting me to the Nikon 3100 atm is that it has a "guide" mode for newbies (ie, me!) it also stores files in a "standard" format
    the canon EOS 1100D stores it's RAW's in some weird fancy canon format which you have to use canon software to decode (bleh!)
    yes i can just store them as jpeg's (would i actually need RAW's? or is my bias against proprietary software/formats coming in? )

Beginner DSLRs: Top 5 Entry level DSLRs | Buying Advice | What Digital Camera
    Best digital SLR cameras 2011 | Buying Advice | What Digital Camera
    have also had some people tell me that the canon's have the best lenses...

will also have to go into a store and see how they fit in my hand
    Last edited by SarcasticOne; 30-09-2011 at 12:51 PM.

15. Default

RAW's only if you intend to do post-edit work - I tend to do RAW's as a rule of thumb. For happy snaps though would you really want a DSLR? It's a big commit if you do - IMO grab a Micro 4/3 format, they're a lot simpler to use

Quote Originally Posted by Lardman View Post
    RAW's only if you intend to do post-edit work - I tend to do RAW's as a rule of thumb. For happy snaps though would you really want a DSLR? It's a big commit if you do - IMO grab a Micro 4/3 format, they're a lot simpler to use
    but for the money, may as well get a proper DSLR?

17. Default

Once again it comes down to what you want to do - For example:

Say I'm on a holiday where I've specifically planned it to take brilliant photos - Or a trip where one of the things I want to do is sight-see. In which case, I'd lug my DSLR around.

I'm going to Tokyo in December with friends - I'd love to do the above, but I don't want to inconvenience them. I want something convenient that can still give me brilliant photos, but easier to carry around and simpler to have with me. In which case I'd go a compact. (Nikon P7100 is a "pro" compact), or a Fujifilm X100, or a Micro-4/3.

It's not just a "for the money" argument when you throw that in. If I bought a 4/3 It'd be for the convenience and form factor, it's not to create a professional looking photo. The big question you should really ask is how often are you going to use a DSLR to what it really 'can do', or do you want something that makes some really nice photos but is also storable in your pocket/manbag? (Or a similar circumstance)

EDIT: good argument on the topic: http://digital-photography-school.co...3-vs-dslr.html

Having said that - if you genuinely are interested in photography, and would like to learn - by all means get a DSLR. Grab a Nikon D90 or a 2nd hand 550D or similar. (I found myself starting at the D60 which is now the D5k, and upgraded rather quickly to a D90)
    Last edited by Lardman; 30-09-2011 at 03:29 PM.

18. Default

Nikon D5100 with lense kits can be had for around 1k. It's the revised D60 and comes with so many more features!

One thing it's missing (and all other level DSLRs) though is DOF preview. For this feature I have to pay $1100 just for a D7000 body. Bah! It'll be worth it.. I hope

I very rarely shoot in RAW myself as I dont tend to touch any photos with the exception of HDR. HDR has been a bit of fun, especially since the Canon (and at a guess Id say the Nikon too) has a HDR shoot mode, firing off 3 photos: under-, normal, and over-exposed. Makes HDR bloody easy!

The best part of DSLRS is that when you go out you take 400 photos. Of those, you get 40 really good ones. And of those 40 really good ones, you get 4 or 5 absolutely stunning masterpieces. And it doesnt cost a cent in film You just keep shooting, keep changing settings, keep tweaking things, and when you get back to your PC youll see some amazing images.

Most of the time you will want to be shooting in Manual mode anyway. As I said, the Canon 600D's flip screen with LiveView is fantastic for newbies as you can see what the finished photo will look like before you take it (within limits ofc, the slower the shutter speed the less accurate it will get). Its a nice transition from Point and Shoot to SLR.

There are plenty of guides out there for both brands, and each photographer has his/her preference. Buy one for the actual camera features. Once you outgrow your 'guide', you may find yourself wondering whether you have the right camera in your hand. Compare the specifications and features of the cameras. Ive even linked you
    Canon 1100D vs Nikon D3100
    Canon 550D vs Nikon D3100
    Canon 600D vs Nikon D3100
    Canon 600D vs Nikon D90
    Canon 600D vs Nikon D5100

The best cameras

Ignore the 'score', its based on user opinion ONLY. When you read the comments you will probably see why every single Nikon (even far cheaper models) score higher than Canons. Lets just say its like an Astra driving posting here that the SRi is better!
    Choose the features you will be using. The ones I use most are:
    Viewfinder (of course)
    Preview screen - for checking roughly how a photo turned out, for navigating menus. The higher the resolution here, the better idea you have. Plus you can show your mates after you take the shot!
    Menus - changing settings, deleting fail-shots
    Buttons/Wheel - Changing your shutter speed, ISO, F-Stop. They need to be easy to reach and naturally positioned so you can modify quickly. Stepping up to my 600D from the 1000D made a big difference in just this area alone.
    ISO - Night shots mostly. Higher ISO makes photos more 'noisy'. Now here is the biggest difference Ive noticed between my 1000D and my mates Nikon D80 - his images, while slightly better at night, were more washed out and dull during the day. Its my personal preference and opinion that Canon do day shots better. More vibrant and vivid, but you should find some comparison images yourself!

Things to consider:
    Movies - Is full HD required? I havent used mine yet, but only because I havent had the oppurtunity.
    Massive ISO - Super mega pixels. More MP doesnt mean a better photo, do some research on 'True Resolution' and then research what each model will actually do.
    Lens support - In the future you may decide to invest in a nice new expensive lens. I know some Nikons arent compatible with all their lenses; do your homework.
    Weight - Yeh it sounds like bugger all but it can mean the difference between a little blurry and crystal clear without a tripod!
    Start up delay - From power on to Shoot. This might be important to you however almost all DSLRs will boot in the time you take to turn on and have your eye in the viewfinder.
    FPS - Good for sports and motorsports. Higher is better.

I think at the end of the day you will be happy with either a Canon or Nikon; both are bloody fantastic at what they do, and both will make you seem like a pro with a little time invested. But you may find yourself looking at the other brand and going 'shit, I reckon that feature would be handy!'.

If I can suggest something though; get yourself a decent SD card. As fast as you can afford to go. Minimum Class 10 but see if you can get something with a higher base bandwidth.

Have fun

Buying a entry level DSLR in 2006, having never used one before, was one of best things I've ever done. I made a lot of mistakes, still do, but that's how you get better AND its fun. Whatever brand you get, do get a DSLR.
    Other thing is down track you may want to try other lenses for it. PLUS the info on the web / forums is very helpful.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast