User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DSLR reccomendations?

Well my choice and suggestion would be a Nikon D3100. I have had my D3100 for around 9 months now and it is brilliant. I wanted an entry level DSLR so I could learn to take photos under different settings/conditions. The D3100 takes great photos, and takes fantastic video footage as well.

You can pick them up for under $1000 with a twin lens kit and a bag.

im currently considering a 4/3 camera... as per lardman's advice... portability sounds nice
    will look to go have a look on weekend and find out what ones are being sold/etc
    cant seem to find ways to search for them purely on the websites

entry level DSLR's aint big man

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    im currently considering a 4/3 camera... as per lardman's advice... portability sounds nice
    will look to go have a look on weekend and find out what ones are being sold/etc
    cant seem to find ways to search for them purely on the websites
    I'll do a nice big post for you tonight and a few reviews, I've still got some bookmarked.

Panasonic Lumix GF1 Field Test &mdash; 16 Days in the Himalayas < Craig Mod is a pretty well known photog. Took a GF1 to the Himalayas
    Lumix GF1 Review < Danny Choo also did a review. These two were the ones I liked most, there's a loads more reviews out there - by no means are they a professional camera, but they are something better than your P&S with a little more flexibility and detail.

NEX-5 < NEX 5 is another one.
    Last edited by Lardman; 01-10-2011 at 01:51 PM.

Not sure I get the main pull of the 4/3 ( vs DLSR. )

They're not that much smaller than a entry level DSLR. You certainly cant carry them in your pocket in any event, they are not a "compact". While they will fit in a purse of sorts, this ain't going to help Sam (please don't prove me wrong here ). The sensor on those things is TINY. Christ, mine is 4x larger! You can forget any low light photography. If you buy a 4/3 and start really getting into photography, how do expect to get better or buy good quality add-on lenses? basically you'd be fkd .

In fairness, they probably do work well in a limited capacity, but I don't see that they gain much, and you lose a LOT.

"Sector six, 80, copy the sixth, the sum of the eighth, the quadrant over the ninth, plus 80, four circles, weave the 80 and call the fourth. Copy." - Thufir Hawat, Mentat, Master of Assassins.

That's a pretty big size difference..

but why not just get a compact?? a compact OR a DSLR makes sense, but why compromise and go middle ground??

Quote Originally Posted by lucifuge View Post
    but why not just get a compact?? a compact OR a DSLR makes sense, but why compromise and go middle ground??
    Got a compact, want something a better...

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

10. Default

The other thing with M4/3 is it really isn't a "middle ground"

They're capable of some DSLR-quality shots, but without the DSLR bit - they're mirrorless and still are interchangeable lens systems - The main middle ground you're making is a smaller sensor from your usual APS-C (that is, the entry level DSLR sensor format) and as such they're not as good in low-light and the electronics are downscaled - more complex, but the result is you have a psuedo dslr with a much smaller form factor - really adds to the "ease of use" without the dslr weight. (price tag is still there though)

think i've made a decions:
    Camera shop Sydney | Camera Repairs Sydney | Camera Tradeins Sydney - Camera Stores Sydney

reviews:
    The Sony NEX-5N Digital Camera Review – A Monster full of features! | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/NEX5N/NEX5NA.HTM
    has a APS-C sensor (apparently that is good )
    just not sure if it's worth the money to get anything other than the 18-55mm lense

george's said they'll sell me one with a "zoom, portait and wide angle" lense kit for 980
    Last edited by SarcasticOne; 02-10-2011 at 02:39 PM.
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

12. Default

The one thing I'd warn against the NEX-5 is that the lens compatibility isn't as great as the other M4/3 devices as Sony decided to go against the grain and not be standard. The Olympus/Panasonics are basically the same kind of hardware, and as such there's more compatibility and support for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lardman View Post
    The one thing I'd warn against the NEX-5 is that the lens compatibility isn't as great as the other M4/3 devices as Sony decided to go against the grain and not be standard. The Olympus/Panasonics are basically the same kind of hardware, and as such there's more compatibility and support for them.
    As per first review:
    "We also have some exciting new lenses on the way like the LONG awaited Zeiss 24 1.8, also the Sony 50 1.8 and 35 Macro plus a zoom or two. S0 lenses are coming for those NEX

14. Default

In which case, all good then - Definitely be sure to try them out and see what 'suits' you ergonomically and how they work in manual mode as well, though. Teds/Harvey Norman would usually have a few demos out.

You arent far off proper DSLR prices. IMHO you are simply adding another money sink before you go to the DSLR. Like buying an SP25 because you are afraid of the MPS, not because you cant afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue01 View Post
    You aren't far off proper DSLR prices. IMHO you are simply adding another money sink before you go to the DSLR. Like buying an SP25 because you are afraid of the MPS, not because you cant afford it.
    So spot on, awesome analogy too.

---------- Post added at 09:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 AM ----------

Hardly anyone carries just a camera body around.

Add a lens to both and then compare. I wouldn't call either of them large, but they both wont be small either. Add on your 18-55mm and see.

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne;1

That's a pretty big size difference..

"Sector six, 80, copy the sixth, the sum of the eighth, the quadrant over the ninth, plus 80, four circles, weave the 80 and call the fourth. Copy." - Thufir Hawat, Mentat, Master of Assassins.

Entry level nikon d7000 about $1500 look at d-d photographics. I own a nikon D700

I'm rocking a Canon EOS500D, the camera has a lot more skill than the operator let me say.
    Cheers Todd

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1317863365509.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	144.6 KB 
ID:	9737
    Bought the nex-5n
    Just the single lense kit with the 18-55mm lense...
    Same size sensor as a full size dslr, but doesn't have the mirror

Which is kinda the whole point

At least you dont need a bag now, you can carry that in your purse

All kidding aside, you'll have a blast. Inspiration can be the hard part, so if you ever find yourself at a loss, have a quick glance at a photography mag and fuel up on creativity. Just because someone else has seen the world, doesnt mean theyve seen it from your eyes. Thats what photography is all about!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast