User Tag List

Thread: Is it my tyres or wheel alignment?

Default Is it my tyres or wheel alignment?

When slowing down I can hear a pulse in the cabin... sounds like the tyres, I had a wheel alignment done on Tuesday after installation of Eibach Springs. The noise wasn't happening until today on the freeway.

It does sound scary, I don't want one of my wheels flying off on the freeway or something lol. It does have me worried, does anyone have any idea what could be the cause? I have bad things going through my mind, like the differential has moved to the side and it's driving uneven etc...

do you feel anything in the brake pedal or steering wheel?

Nope it's only the noise, my steering did decide to steer one way by itself but I think because the road was uneven, it didn't happen after that

It could be a wheel that hasn't been balanced properly?

Quote Originally Posted by andy b View Post
    It could be a wheel that hasn't been balanced properly?
    They are all balanced at 0-0, and 1 wheel is 0-5... which I know is fine, I watched as they were balanced.. but shouldn't this have happened from day 1 when they were installed?

Yeah I'd say so, unless a weight has come off. It's hard to know the sound without hearing it but if it was tyre related you'd probably hear it more driving on hot mix

Check to make sure the wheel nuts are all torqued up even and tight.

Can't hep you with the noise or vibration, but how do the Eibachs go?

yeh i know the pulse youre talking about...im going to see if it dissapears when i put my new tyres on

ive even been tempted to think it may be wheel bearings

All the bolts are tight! All at 80 ft lb torque.

Muzza the Eibachs are very comfortable and better performing than the stock springs so its a win win situation, but for the 6 they are a progressive spring, I believe you have a 3, the Eibachs for the 3 are a linear which would most likely cause a stiffer ride.

These tyres are 2 weeks old, and only driven about 1000 km's.

Dude, I just had a flashback, Myu old car, (thunder ute) had the same issues, and yes the wheel alignment was not right. I took it back where I had it done, and they said it was fine, it was the bushes, well, I went to a different wheel aligner, and guess what it was out by heaps re set it and was all good. Might pay you to spend 50bucks at a different place and get it checked. Also when you changed the springs, did you change shocks? I ask this because in my old race car, we upgraded the springs and not the dampers, had similar issue of noise and vibration, this was caused from over spring and under damped effect.
    sometimes it is just the small things no one bothers to even think about that cause these things. Sometimes a stiffer spring or even just a different rate weather it is progressive or not, can cause the shock to break down and not perform correctly. it may not be instant either. anyways some food for thought.,

---------- Post added at 12:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 PM ----------

Forgot to ask, who did your alignment and spring install??

Quote Originally Posted by Spudspec View Post
    Dude, I just had a flashback, Myu old car, (thunder ute) had the same issues, and yes the wheel alignment was not right. I took it back where I had it done, and they said it was fine, it was the bushes, well, I went to a different wheel aligner, and guess what it was out by heaps re set it and was all good. Might pay you to spend 50bucks at a different place and get it checked. Also when you changed the springs, did you change shocks? I ask this because in my old race car, we upgraded the springs and not the dampers, had similar issue of noise and vibration, this was caused from over spring and under damped effect.
    sometimes it is just the small things no one bothers to even think about that cause these things. Sometimes a stiffer spring or even just a different rate weather it is progressive or not, can cause the shock to break down and not perform correctly. it may not be instant either. anyways some food for thought.,

---------- Post added at 12:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 PM ----------

Forgot to ask, who did your alignment and spring install??
    WA Suspensions did my alignment and install, I didn't upgrade the dampers when I got springs installed, still running on stock, it's about 25,000 MILES is when the stock dampers start to stuff up. That's what I read somewhere.. it doesn't seem like it has anything to do with my suspension, but more of a wheel alignment / tyre issue..

have u got after market wheels on ? if not standard could need hub rings.

I've got hub rings, and yup they are after market

If you want a hand troubleshooting your problem let me know. I used to work in R&D for a suspension company, which is why I mentioned what I mentioned. Maybe we can nut it out and see what the problem is. talk soon

16. Default

Hub rings may cause vibration but not noise, what soprt of tyres do you have and how old are they?

Tyres are not even 800km old yet, they're Nexen N6000, known to be VERY quiet..

Also some new noises have come up... can't remember when it happens but it's not very often. It's kind of like a hoot.. or bell chime noise... UGHHHH fml

18. Default

Quote Originally Posted by High on PSI View Post
    Tyres are not even 800km old yet, they're Nexen N6000, known to be VERY quiet..

Also some new noises have come up... can't remember when it happens but it's not very often. It's kind of like a hoot.. or bell chime noise... UGHHHH fml
    Sorry I had no idea you were a tyre expert, good luck

The tyres are just so much more quieter than your old ones that you are hearing all the normal noises. just turn up the doov doov. and it be fully sick brew....

Quote Originally Posted by TBDM View Post
    Sorry I had no idea you were a tyre expert, good luck
    I don't know if I should be reading that with sarcasm or seriousness? ... I'm not a tyre expert lol