User Tag List

Thread: Spring options for an MPS6

Default Spring options for an MPS6

Hey guys, it's probably been covered a lot, but there's a specific question I need to ask as well as the normal "what spring options are there around" for a 2005/6 MPS6? I'm guessing that since the car isn't going to see much in the way of track work until I've paid it out, the standard shocks will be fine with a moderately lowered set of springs in there.

I've seen the sparse offerings at mpsgarage, and to be honest, I'm not dead-set keen at running progressive rate springs as per the Eibach kit, but I don't really want to have kings either.

There's the Pedders option, and if anyone has any experience with them and know prices (springs only, will be doing the work myself) it'd be good to hear...

Now I've been looking on ImportMonster, and have come across a few sets of Tanabe springs for an Atenza Sport, but I'm under the impression the FWD springs won't fit - can someone confirm this?

So are there any options around the $3-500 mark for good springs, preferably for a WA buyer?

Thanks guys

What's wrong with progressive springs like Eibach

H&R springs are linear springs, and it'll be around $350-400, contact Jeff from Advance Speed Shop, he should be able to tell you all the options you have

My H&R's are progressive...

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Fiend View Post

For the 6?

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Fiend View Post

Pretty sure the MPS6 version is linear..

kmh001: I notice you're reading this thread, are you able to confirm?

The options for springs I can think of off the top of my head are H&R, Eibach, King, Autoexe, Pedders and RPM (USA). I wouldn't use anything Pedders sells even if they didn't manufacture it, nor would I let them anwhere near my car. I'm aware of no adverse reports for the other brands other than my H&R's being too low at the front. If you include coil overs there would be additional spring options.

It's commonly reported that the stock dampers fail quickly after shorter springs are installed, so I would recomemend budgeting for springs and dampers as a package.

---------- Post added at 01:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by laser beam View Post
    Pretty sure the MPS6 version is linear..

kmh001: I notice you're reading this thread, are you able to confirm?
    I actually can't remember, but I seem to recall when I installed them that the wire diameter was consistent along the length of the spring - meaning they are linear.

Gone to Volvo

Quote Originally Posted by High on PSI View Post
    For the 6?
    No, sorry for 3

But as Mal says, if they were even all the way from top to bottom they'll be linear

Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

The H&R for Mazda 6 MPS are linear, the Eibach are progressive.

I still want to know what's wrong with progressive and Eibach's because I have them on my car and it feels great, looks great. So it's sad to know that you have something against them

*please read with sarcasm*

hehe, I've just always steered clear of progressive rate springs in all my cars. Not that I have a great deal of experience in telling the difference in driving performance, but I've always had the advice to stick with linear rate springs in my track cars.

Interesting to hear about the stock dampers failing when lowered springs go in. Anyone have links to prices of packages?

Cheers guys

Even coilovers can have parts fitted to them to allow them to be progressive: Swift Springs USA

What exactly are the reasons why you're looking to change the springs? If you're going to track your car down the road, why not just go and install coilovers and be done with it.

Stock dampers will fail eventually, lowering it doesn't necessarily cause them to fail quicker, but running outside their optimal operating range is what causes the earlier than normal failure. But if your car sees smooth roads and never drives over bumps, even with lowered springs the shocks won't fail earlier than normal.
    Last edited by Nuliaj; 29-09-2011 at 02:01 PM.
    Nuliaj: Hatches are only really half a car anyway.
    shinslinger66: And you forgot to add that they are also a girls car!

There's an mx5 for track work, I'm not really planning to do much with this at all. Lowering is purely for aesthetics currently.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAussie View Post
    hehe, I've just always steered clear of progressive rate springs in all my cars. Not that I have a great deal of experience in telling the difference in driving performance, but I've always had the advice to stick with linear rate springs in my track cars.

Interesting to hear about the stock dampers failing when lowered springs go in. Anyone have links to prices of packages?

Cheers guys
    Quite right. Everything is a compromise. The trade off for progressive rate springs is better ride quality at the expense of greater body roll and pitching. Linear is definitely better for track use.

I'm not aware of any packages but you can get Bilsteins for around $1000 (ask GSL Rallysports for a quote). They will suit most lowered springs.

The issue with the dampers is twofold: Any increase in spring rate will make the damper work harder as it attempts to damp the excitation of the spring and bring it under control. Every little road surface irregularity causes the spring to be excited so it's a constant process - ie the damper is working constantly while the car is in motion. Road surface condition has more effect on stroke length than valve actuation frequency. The other issue is using a stock damper that has a stroke length different to the new spring, the mis-match increases the likelihood of the damper bottoming out which can be destructive. This is obviously more of a function of road surface condition than the normal wear process. It's really not surprising that stock dampers quickly fail when used with lowered/stiffer springs.

Gone to Volvo

Quote Originally Posted by MadAussie View Post
    There's an mx5 for track work, I'm not really planning to do much with this at all. Lowering is purely for aesthetics currently.
    Then there's really no reason to not go progressive, other than the psychological reason of "hardcore is better". The progressive Eibach springs will suit you fine if it's purely for everyday road use.
    Nuliaj: Hatches are only really half a car anyway.
    shinslinger66: And you forgot to add that they are also a girls car!