User Tag List

Thread: 2010 Volkswagen Golf GTI: Tech Specs, More Pics Released

Blog Entries

Default 2010 Volkswagen Golf GTI: Tech Specs, More Pics Released

We’ve driven the base model, spied the “concept” and drooled over a smattering of leaked images, but now it’s finally here: the full low-down on Volkswagen’s latest hot hatch flagship, the Golf GTI.

Styling is classic GTI, and is virtually identical to that of the GTI concept that was unveiled in Paris last year. Red-rimmed honeycomb grille? Big rotary-dial alloy wheels? GTI trainspotters will be able to see this one coming from miles away.

They’ll be able to hear it from a distance too. The GTI’s turbocharged 2.0-litre four pot is hooked up to a acoustically-tuned exhaust system which exhales through a pair of tailpipes, while a “sound generator” transfers the engine’s note into the cabin.

But it’s not all about looks and noise. With 155kW and 280Nm the Mk VI GTI certainly isn’t lacking in punch, and the car’s 6.9 second 0-100km/h sprint time and 240km/h top speed certainly speak for themselves.

The torque curve is perhaps even more impressive, with the full 280Nm available from 1700rpm to 5200rpm. That translates to a 80-120km/h dash time of 7.5 seconds - handy when overtaking Grey Nomads on those rural highways.

Environmental performance is also good. The Golf VI GTI chews 7.3 litres of petrol on the combined cycle, and emits just 173 g/km of CO2. Thanks to a host of minor mechanical and electronic revisions, the new GTI’s engine is also Euro V compliant.

A six-speed manual is the standard transmission, although a quick-shifting six-speed DSG twin-clutch is also on offer. The DSG-equipped GTI boasts the same 0-100 time as the manual model, although top speed is down by 2km/h and economy is slightly worse at 7.4 l/100km.

The seven-speed DSG that’s available on lesser models of the petrol-slurping Golf range is not available for the time being, most likely due to the higher torque and power output of the GTI’s engine.

Handling-wise, the new GTI should be a pearler. Electronically-adjustable dampers are standard kit, and the suspension is lower, tauter and more resistant to roll. VW’s XDS electronic LSD is standard too, but being an ESP-based pseudo-LSD it probably won’t thrill Sunday racers as much as a proper mechanical LSD would.

Like the exterior, the interior is chock-full of GTI goodness. Tartan trim, black headliner, a leather steering wheel and red stitching are all standard, and look pretty fetching to boot.

Glossy black trim, alloy pedals and a plethora of GTI emblems are also included, but the rest is standard Golf fare - which is a definite plus, considering the huge leap in interior quality that’s been ushered in by the sixth-gen Golf.

The 2010 Volkswagen Golf GTI will be making its German sales debut in a matter of days, with European deliveries commencing after Easter. The Asian and North American markets will begin receiving their GTI’s in the second half of this year, however it’s uncertain just how long we’ll have to wait for an Australian allocation.

The official word from Volkswagen Australia is that we won’t see it on our shores before the year is out, but we’ll keep pestering them for a solid date. Until then though, check out the full details on the sixth-gen Golf GTI in the press release below.
    Source: The Motor Report.

2014 Mk7 Golf R | DSG | Reflex Silver | Leather | Drive Assist | Bi-Xenon Headlights
    1981 Lincoln Town Car | Auto | 80s Cream | 90s brown interior | 5.0L V8 | Currently no working headlights

Blog Entries

Love the interior!

Not a real fan of the wheels, needs some tidy BBS rims on it

Nice little facelifts on it though, looks great.

I prefer the look of the old one.

Agree on the interior, apart from the MPS interior this is the best one I seen in a while.

That interior is hot .....

+ 1 about the wheels

Like the interior but the old shape looks better

Blog Entries

I just had a look at some closer interior shots and they still have that ugly tartan seats in them!! EWW!!! What is VW thinking

Tartan was first introduced on MkI GTI's, methinks VW is being nostalgic. Leather is the better option. Now how to convince the missus to upgrade her Jetta TFSI to one of these...

on wheels!!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shakespeare View Post
    Tartan was first introduced on MkI GTI's, methinks VW is being nostalgic. Leather is the better option. Now how to convince the missus to upgrade her Jetta TFSI to one of these...
    Yeah the leather options is insanely expensive I was told from a mate who got a Polo GTI.

Upgrade FTW!!
    Not Gone...just "busy"
    Quote Originally Posted by Street Road Laino
    It's not blue screen of death Kent, it's Auora Blue screen of death

Quote Originally Posted by tricache View Post
    Yeah the leather options is insanely expensive I was told from a mate who got a Polo GTI.

Upgrade FTW!!
    your mate is correct, the Germans are very clever with their add on sales (high margin too) though is cheaper if you do without the electric seats, and I must say the heated leather is the ducks nuts in winter

only thing I'd need to convince her of is the boot size, going from 520 litres in the Jetta to 350 with the Golf, mind you no more prams in our house

i like the interior, like the shape but yeah not sure about the rims. i think it wouldl ook pretty tidy with some nice fat rims

I WANT ONE!!

I'm surprised Corz hasnt posted here yet

I like this a lot... Much nicer than the old one.

14. Default

+ 2

vw ftw

That is one sweet steering wheel

Quote Originally Posted by PostmanDan View Post
    I WANT ONE!!

I'm surprised Corz hasnt posted here yet
    Just re-read this post..

I think safe to say, i'm happy with my MPS now

Suprisingly, I would have assumed the Golf would have better torque? 280nm vs MPS3's 380nm?
    2015 Audi S3 | MTX | Sedan | Sepang Blue | Sunroof | SPP1 | Assistance Package | BW - Week 17 | Delivery June/July '15... Hopefully...

Help support OzMPSClub - Become a VIP Member today! - Click here for more details...

Quote Originally Posted by PostmanDan View Post
    Just re-read this post..

I think safe to say, i'm happy with my MPS now

Suprisingly, I would have assumed the Golf would have better torque? 280nm vs MPS3's 380nm?
    If I was going to buy a FWD hot hatch it would probably be the new MPS 3, though R20 AWD different story

MZR DISI 2.3T has monumental torque!!! VW have kept their motors fairly sedate, even with 280 NM and 147KW the wife's Jetta still burns too much rubber when you give it some
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

r20 will be stuinning