User Tag List

Thread: considering buying a MPS 6

Default considering buying a MPS 6

hey guys,

Firstly let me say what a great site you have going here, and secondly let me introduce myself a little.

So basically im a mazda fan boy, from the astinagt forums who is currently in the process of tracking down a nice stock mps6 around the Sydney area. My last 2 cars have both been mazdas, and I'm totally hooked, started off with an 97 astina hardtop, which was replaced by a sp20 and now i figured its time to get serious I'm more inclined towards a mp6 because its a little bigger, and they just look very appealing to me. Especially when I check out some of the members rides here lol

Judging by the posts here, the mps mazda are a great drive, and hopefully I will find out for myself next week when i take some for a test drive. My only concern is that most of the ones Im looking at have about 75,000km. I have looked through the problem threads and my conclusion is, that I will most likely be replacing the rear engine mount and/or turbo with another official mazda one, or a slight upgrade.

So I was just wondering what would be your opinions on this ? and if maybe any of the Sydney members would be nice enough to help me inspect a car or 2 once I narrow my choices down ?

Oh and my other question is, the difference between series 1 and 2 mps 6s?

Thanks for your time and if all goes well ill be joining you on the cruises soon in a black, white or red mpps 6
    Last edited by Frankie17; 27-09-2011 at 12:29 PM.

There is no Mazda 6 MPS Gen II (Series 2), there's only a Gen I (Series 1)

And my opinion is... GET ONE!!

Turbo's, or more specifically the seals can go at anytime. There have been accounts where a driver may have only done about 10 or 20,000km's and found themselves smoking. Sometimes they last well past 100,000km's as there are a few people who have done a fair amount of mileage and have still retained the stock turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by High on PSI View Post
    There is no Mazda 6 MPS Gen II (Series 2), there's only a Gen I (Series 1)

And my opinion is... GET ONE!!
    Correct and incorrect. There is not publicised "series 1 or 2" however there is a revision between the 05 and 06 models. If possible try get a 06 as it has MP3 capabilities, the rest of the revision is much of a muchness. I think the intake manifold is slightly different but nothing to be worried about. If you don't care for MP3, then get either.

Just to give you an idea, us Perth boys just had a photo shoot if you wanna check it out, you'll see a white, silver, red and black MPS6 which might give you an idea of what you like. Below is the link

South Perth photoshoot

As chuckie cheese said, yes turbo seals have gone on cars way below 75,000kms and there are many that are over 100,000 still on the stock K04 turbo with no issues. Pretty much identical to what Chuckie said as this is a fact. Your best course of action would be to inspect the vehicle as best you can, possibly pay for an inspection, letting it idle and giving it a bootful and see if any evidence of smoke. I would suggest you get an idea or familiar with replacement turbo's such as the range from BNR just to do some research for a worst case scenario.

Addional things to look for, check the water pump seals. Hard to tell but, check the ball joints, maybe take some sharp turns and see if you can hear a clicking sound as both of mine went and had them replaced ($40 for new ball joints btw - aftermarket) Engine mount, you don't "need" to replace this, however many members have as they feel it provides a smoother shift and less engine movement. If you go with a "sure motorsports" mount its reasonably priced and you can do it yourself easy.

Hope that helps and welcome, hope to have you as a MPS6 owner on here soon! Check out my rides thread by clicking the yellow RR on my sig if you like, done a bit of work on my car

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Thanks for the swift replies, sorry by series 1 and 2 I meant the difference between the 05 and -06/07 revisions. Thanks for clarifying, the mp3 capabilities dont really bother.

Im hunting for a red, white or black MPS6 with the luxury options so i'll see how i go.

I love your mps Rogwick, very clean looking, and yet it has presence on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckie Cheese View Post
    Until it breaks down.
    Technically its never actually broken down. I've just had some fixes...you know, like when you fall when you're a kid and you require a bandaid....she's all good and parked about 5m away from me today!

My MPS tends to turn a few heads, I think its the bonnet bulge decals as I mostly get ford owners looking with a scrunched face.

I think my record is about 300-400 heads at once...I was driving through the city, about 5pm when everyone has finished work, back when I had my BOV venting, about a 4,500-5,000RPM dump

To my surprise even women turned round to have a look hehe! "Wow, what a cool Holden?"

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie17 View Post
    Im hunting for a red, white or black MPS6 with the luxury options so i'll see how i go.
    Velocity red all the way!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Crapatalk
    Ezy-Flash Pro - GTX2867R - NPC Clutch/Solid State flywheel - Autotech Fuel Pump Internals - ATP 3" TIP - Cobb SRI - NGK Plugs - CPE FMIC - 2XS Dump Pipe/100 Cel Cat - 3" Custom CatBack Exhaust - TRMotorsport MT1 18x8.5's -Michelin Pilot Super Sports 245/40/18 - DBA Slotted Rottors - Remsa Pads - 60mm Boost Gauge in middle vent - Bilstein B8 - Kings - Turbosmart BOV - emblemless front grill - debadged rear - 2WD Switch