User Tag List

Thread: Scratch on Front Bumper

Default Scratch on Front Bumper

Well, just got into Brisbane after my trip up to Mackay. Great drive - could've kept going to Cairns. I got to say this car is a brilliant cruising car for a hatch (2nd long trip in it and didn't get bored for a second)!! Economical as well. Got 720ks out of a full tank. Only down side is i've some how acquired a 15cm long scratch along the bottom of the front bumper on the passengers side (no clue how it's happened).

Rather then me attempt a dodgy DIY on it i was hoping to find a mobile painter repairer somewhere in Brisbane. I tried the touch-up guys and they where going to charge $250- (i think i could get the whole bar resprayed for this). Does anyone know or can reccomend someone for this little job without it costing an arm & leg!
    2XS RACING $ CORKSPORT $ MAGNAFLOW $ ​UNSURE MOTORSPORTS $ COBB $ INJEN $ FULCRUM $ FEDERAL TYRES $ VISUAL GARAGE $ ADVANCED PERFORMANCE CENTRE $ B C M $ NGK $ STRATIFIED $ AUTOTECH $ DBA $ REMSA $ DGR $ MORIMOTO $ JBR $ FUSION

That sucks man. How deep is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Yeldarb View Post
    That sucks man. How deep is it?
    ^

Is it still in the clear coat or through it? Pic?

Sucks alright Brad, I Think it's gone through the clear coat. I've run my finger across and you can feel it so would say i need to have it resprayed. Will post a pic Dan, you might be able to tell if that's what is needed or not?

Cheers
    Bob

As a general rule of thumb, if you drag your fingernail across the scratch and it catches, that's the ball game in terms of correcting it out unfortunately. Even if it hasn't broken through the clear coat the best you could do would be to minimise it, as to remove it completely would take the clear coat down too low

Post up a pic anyway, you never know

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Sorry to hear about the scratch Bob, it's always heartbreaking when they happen . Great to hear you're loving the beast!!!

You're definitely in good hands with advice from Dan on these things

Yeah thanks Leelu. Agree with you on Dan, he does some amazing work.

*blushes*

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Fiend View Post
    *blushes*

*tries to picture blushing Dan*

GENII 2009 MPS VR POV PACK | TIPS THANKS TO MAZDA3MPS (IAN) | KUMHO KU36 235/40/18 TYRES | PRIMA PAINT PROTECTION BY ZAS | LAKIN CUSTOM PLATES | MPS & OZMPSCLUB.COM BRUSHED ALUMINIUM DECALS (THEY COUNT AS MODS RIGHT?)| WISHLIST...60 DURO REAR ENGINE MOUNT | RIMS PAINTED/GT RIMS

just like a normal Dan, but slightly embarrassed

Is it still in the clear coat or through it? Pic?

Hey Dan, took some pics but they turned out notsogood. I can now tell you though after looking at the scratch properly that what i was feeling with my fingernail was above the paintline not below...so i think this could be corrected. Sorry to sound like an amatuer but would i use some type of cutting compund on this to remove?

Quote Originally Posted by MPSBNE View Post
    Hey Dan, took some pics but they turned out notsogood. I can now tell you though after looking at the scratch properly that what i was feeling with my fingernail was above the paintline not below...so i think this could be corrected. Sorry to sound like an amatuer but would i use some type of cutting compund on this to remove?
    Hi Mate, all good

You can have a go at minimizing it by hand. If it's deep into the clear you probably won't get it all (even with a machine it can reach a point where the scratch is deep enough into the clear that you wont get it all because you'd take the clear down too deep and possibly remove the clear entirely..... This is very bad ), but you may at least get it so it's not as noticeable.

http://www.zas.com.au/product/308/me...ml_g17216.html

http://www.zas.com.au/product/119/la...ad_orange.html

It will take you some time by hand, but be patient.

First thing is to have a clean car and some good light with which to clearly see the scratch. Direct fluoro light works well, or you can do it outside as long as the paint isn't too hot.

Put a small blob of the Ultimate Compound onto the foam pad (about enough to cover three quarters of a five cent piece. Use a medium pressure and work the compound in an even, swirling motion over the scratch. After you've worked it for a minute or so, wipe off the residue with a soft cloth (microfiber or similar), and inspect the scratch. After about three or so goes you should see it start to minimise albeit a little, depending on the depth of the scratch. Repeat the process.

Here's a vid of how it's used

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIklU-DjwYs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

When you're working a scratch, localise to the scratch area. Don't work as big an area as this guy is.

Without seeing it, and even with photos it hard to tell, use your best judgment when working on it. You may have to compromise on how much you work the scratch. Always best to err on the side of caution when doing this sort of work to the clear coat.

When you're done, stand back, crack a beer and admire your handywork as you've just taken your first foray into paint correction. Be warned though, it's addictive and you'll start seeing all sorts of bits on your car that can use 'a quick hit'

Hope this helps.

Dan

Last edited by Caffeine Fiend; 10-10-2011 at 07:37 AM.
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Brilliant..thanks for your help Dan. Will go ahead and purchase the cutting compound and foam pad Any special discount being an MPS Forum member..hehe sorry i have to ask!

---------- Post added at 04:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 PM ----------

Sorry Dan,
    I just assumed you worked for ZAS or it was your company, my apologisies if i'm not correct... ZAS is a site sponser so i'll still purchase from them!
    2XS RACING $ CORKSPORT $ MAGNAFLOW $ ​UNSURE MOTORSPORTS $ COBB $ INJEN $ FULCRUM $ FEDERAL TYRES $ VISUAL GARAGE $ ADVANCED PERFORMANCE CENTRE $ B C M $ NGK $ STRATIFIED $ AUTOTECH $ DBA $ REMSA $ DGR $ MORIMOTO $ JBR $ FUSION

Hahaha, no I don't work for ZAS. Joel (who runs ZAS) has been very supportive of myself and also the OZMPS community though.

Apart from that he's a nice guy and sells great product

Sign up for an account on the ZAS site and PM Joel (ZAS) via the forums here with your ZAS login, and he'll set you up with an OzMPS member discount also

He's good people

Dan

thanks

Good luck with it Bob . I have a box fill of Prima products frim ZAS and clay bared mine and did the Prima paint protection kit on mine a few months back, came up amazing!!! Joel was great, very patient with my noob questions about detailing. With his, CharlieBrown, Missy and Dan's help I now have the know how to keep the beast looking amazing .

Oh and Dan is a legend for that last post!!!

Last edited by Leelu; 11-10-2011 at 08:21 AM.
    GENII 2009 MPS VR POV PACK | TIPS THANKS TO MAZDA3MPS (IAN) | KUMHO KU36 235/40/18 TYRES | PRIMA PAINT PROTECTION BY ZAS | LAKIN CUSTOM PLATES | MPS & OZMPSCLUB.COM BRUSHED ALUMINIUM DECALS (THEY COUNT AS MODS RIGHT?)| WISHLIST...60 DURO REAR ENGINE MOUNT | RIMS PAINTED/GT RIMS

Quote Originally Posted by Leelu View Post
    Good luck with it Bob . I have a box fill of Prima products frim ZAS and clay bared mine and did the Prima paint protection kit on mine a few months back, came up amazing!!! Joel was great, very patient with my noob questions about detailing. With his, CharlieBrown, Missy and Dan's help I now have the know how to keep the beast looking amazing .

Oh and Dan is a legend for that last post!!!