User Tag List

Thread: Opticoat and vinyl..which one first?

1. Default Opticoat and vinyl..which one first?

Hi ,

Im thinking about getting a car vinyl wrapped.. ( mirror caps..handles..etc) and was wondering is it better to put opticoat before the wrap or after..on top of thee wrap?

any issues i should be aware of?

Pretty sure Yeldarb had Opti Coat done on his prior to vinlying his rear valance.

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk

3. Default

Yeha i just wanna know , because im worried that vinyl might not adhere as well to opticoat.

Hopefully i can get a solid answer!

Hey Phil, wasn't really planned but I had the Opticoat done first. Vinyl installed since and no issues.

Also, if you ever decide to remove the vinyl, you still have s protected covering on the paint. No point Opticoating the vinyl in my view.

What/where are you vinyling?

5. Default

yeh i wanted vinyl on top..so the vinyl acts as a sacrifical layer of sorts.

thanks for confirming..did you use hexxis vinyl?

The professionally applied Opti Coat (or Opti Guard as it's known) is a ceramic polymer, so is pretty strong stuff. You won't generally wear through it under normal conditions unless it's completely machine polished off.

Because of that, different rules apply to this than to DIY paint protection products such as the Prima paint protection kit.

The Prima kit (as with similar paint protection products) will generally wear off after 6-12 months (depending on how it's applied and treated of course). So in that sense it would be considered a sacrificial layer as it wears in order to protect your clear coat.

The Opti Coat, as it's much stronger, is more of a permanent solution. It's protection is measured in years and it is a harder surface than the clear coat it goes on top of. So it's technically not a sacrificial layer per se. Certainly not in the same sense as the DIY paint protection anyway (Opti Coat 2.0 excepted). It is of course though more expensive, due to the level of protection it provides, as well as the labour involved with the surface preparation required prior to its application.

Dan

Last edited by Caffeine Fiend; 26-09-2011 at 10:51 AM.
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

No idea on vinyl type sorry. A sign writing company in Woolloongabba, Brisbane installed it.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Fiend View Post
    The professionally applied Opti Coat (or Opti Guard as it's known) is a ceramic polymer, so is pretty strong stuff. You won't generally wear through it under normal conditions unless it's completely machine polished off. SNIPPED
    Because of that, different rules apply to this than to DIY paint protection products such as the Prima paint protection kit.

hey dan . i know.. i was talking about the VINYL being a sacrifical layer :P

---------- Post added at 11:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Yeldarb View Post
    No idea on vinyl type sorry. A sign writing company in Woolloongabba, Brisbane installed it.

do you have pics of your car with the vinyl and opticoat on?

hmmm okay, when you use the word 'vinyl' are you taking about a coloured vinyl applique for aesthetics (like a matte black roof or rear valence covering)? Or do you mean a transparent, purely protective layer stuck to the surface (like a clear car bra)?

'vinyl' aound here usually means the former, so it's used primarily to change the look of the car and not so much for protection. That's what I took it to mean here.

10. Default

the vinyl wrapping.. not the protective ventureshield stuff.

Yeah, I have both, taking a photo if the protective film is tough, it's not meant to be seen. But the vinyl, yes, I can take a photo.

The car is at the smash repair today (again) getting the massive stone chip repaired on the bumper.

Initially I was told that products like ventureshield would have trouble sticking to Opti-Coat. I was later told by the chemist himself there would be no issues and I believe it has been done since with no problem. Vinyl wrapping would be the same.

I would definately put the Opti-Coat first.

Quote Originally Posted by shnoy View Post
    I am also thinking to do it . so pls help us and thanks for the reply.
    Well it's been pretty much proven with Brad that vinyl goes over the top of Opti Coat without any issues. So not really much more to say other than that

Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Quote Originally Posted by shnoy View Post
    I am also thinking to do it . so pls help us and thanks for the reply.
    It's just vinyl dude...relax!!

Quote Originally Posted by Yeldarb View Post
    It's just vinyl dude...relax!!
    That's what she said.....

It was just some tool spamming us guys with his paintless dent repair link.

Someone should ban him.