User Tag List

Thread: Moaning/grinding noise when steering near full lock/full lock

Default Moaning/grinding noise when steering near full lock/full lock

Hi guys.

I get a moaning, almost grinding noise when I'm steering at low speeds, when reversing into a car park for example. I got the dealer to have a look last service but they couldn't reproduce it. It only happens at low speed and tight turns (not standing still) and I don't think it is the power steering pump at this stage. You can feel it through the peddles a slight amount as well.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by GoonBong View Post
    Hi guys.

I get a moaning, almost grinding noise when I'm steering at low speeds, when reversing into a car park for example. I got the dealer to have a look last service but they couldn't reproduce it. It only happens at low speed and tight turns (not standing still) and I don't think it is the power steering pump at this stage. You can feel it through the peddles a slight amount as well.

Any ideas?

Cheers.
    possibly the "wong wong" noise?
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/drive...ong-noise.html
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Hi, what's the car?

At a guess I'd say it's diff 'wong'. Quite a common thing (if you search the forums for wong you should see a few results)

If it is that it's not anything to worry about too much. There's a diff oil thread where people have posted different ones tried and reduction in 'wong factor'. I'm on the mobile at the moment otherwise I'd link you

Dan

Edit: Sam's beaten me to it ^

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Thanks guys.

It's a 2009 Gen II. I'm not sure that what I am experiencing is the same, it's more of a deeper moan, and you can feel it through the peddles when it happens and doesn't occur when on the move or at any steering angle other than close to full lock and full lock. At the 20k service I tried swapping the g/b oil for Castrol VMX to improve shifting (which it did), but I'll swap it out at the 40k for the Penrite synthetic to see if it makes a difference.

Cheers!

I've had the wong wong noise on my car a couple of times (haven't had it in a while though so I haven't bothered changing my gearbox oil) and it is a noise that reverberates through the cabin including the pedals. Scary as hell when you first hear it lol

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk
    Last edited by Caffeine Fiend; 26-09-2011 at 04:37 PM.

Not looking forward to it
    Without having a look, has anyone pin pointed this Wong Wong noise?

Peter "SLIXX"

Quote Originally Posted by slixx View Post
    Not looking forward to it
    Without having a look, has anyone pin pointed this Wong Wong noise?

Edit: it's the diff. No prob

Peter "SLIXX"

Peter "SLIXX"

Snapped by Tangcla - FB Page
    Currently RaydTuned
    Lots of love from 2XS Racing & Dan's Garage Detailing

Well I got the geabox oil dropped and replaced with Penrite SIN 75W90 and the difference it has made to the shift feel is unbelievable. I would have done this upon getting the car if I knew.

Remains to be seen if it makes a difference to the issue I was having though.

Just out of interest, how many km's has your car done?

I started to get wong wong after 40,000 km's due to old oil (i assume). New oil in and it is gone.

It still sounds like Power Steering pump to me. The steering should only be on full lock for no more than 5 seconds - it's in the manual. It will "moan" and will feed back through the steering wheel and possibly also the pedals (not peddles).

11. Default

I had my diff oil changed and it did a similar thing..........

Sent from my GT-I9100T

It was happening even close to full lock, not necessarily on full lock and the feeling came through the floor and the pedals. Car has done 33,000 kms.

I've just had new tyres put on and a wheel alignment (as the fronts had the insides worn pretty bad), And it hasn't happened since. So here's hoping...