User Tag List

Thread: Upcoming service

Default Upcoming service

Well my service is coming up for the Mazda 6 MPS and I was thinking of bringing in my own oils instead of using the dealership oils, I've read somewhere that they don't use a full synthetic oil in the engine.

I have a few questions!

Is the "Manual Transaxle Oil" just a bigger name for the gearbox oil?

Would there be any harm in using a GL-5 oil in my gearbox? My owners manual says that it needs a GL-4 SAE 75W-90

Does the gearbox and the differential use the same oil? I might have misread it somewhere, but I'm asking because the manual says that the rear differential oil needs a GL-5 80W-90 so how could it use the same oil as the gearbox? If the manual transaxle is the gearbox that is...

In the owners manual it states there is manual transaxle oil, rear differential oil, transfer case oil, power steering fluid, brake / clutch fluid.

Is there no such thing as a front differential?

Nulon Smooth Shift Gear & Differential Oil - 75W-90, 1 Litre - Supercheap Auto Australia
    Seeing this confused the shit out of me..

Last question! Can transfer case oil be bought?

My advice...

If you're really not sure what you're buying and you're taking it to a Mazda dealer for the service just go with what they put in. It's not in their interest to put wrong/crap fluids in the car during a service.

Maybe ask them what fluids they use for the service, and if you want a fully synthetic engine oil ask them to get it and put it in for you.