User Tag List

Thread: Mazda 3 MPS 07' Engine Rattle?!

Default Mazda 3 MPS 07' Engine Rattle?!

Hey guys,

First time poster.

This week I noticed my baby started marking a rattling noise when idling, she was serviced yesterday (100K) and it's still there.

Here is a YouTube link
    Mazda 3 MPS engine rattle - YouTube

Im not sure if this is normal or not but it just appeared out of no where.

Thanks in advanced.

Sounds like your timing belt is loose, most likely the timing chain tensioner has failed, you can check by removing the oil cap and checking the chain tension from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rayd View Post
    Sounds like your timing belt is loose, most likely the timing chain tensioner has failed, you can check by removing the oil cap and checking the chain tension from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hey Rayd, thanks for your prompt reply.

I checked the engine this morning, removed the engine oil cap and could move the chain inside roughly about up to 4mm up and down, didn't feel like a major move but not sure if it's supposed to move at all.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks once again.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by djredback View Post
    Hey guys,

First time poster.

This week I noticed my baby started marking a rattling noise when idling, she was serviced yesterday (100K) and it's still there.

Here is a YouTube link
    Mazda 3 MPS engine rattle - YouTube

Im not sure if this is normal or not but it just appeared out of no where.

Thanks in advanced.
    Sounds like the VCT gear, mazda know about this issue, and i have done many. Under warranty the gear, chain, tensioner, guides and diamond washers are replaced. Engine is then run with new filter and premium oil. After 5 mins running, drain and refill with new premium oil and filter. BAM and the noise is gone! The pins inside the gear wear away causing this rattle

EDIT, with mazdas tech bulletin this is a startup issue. when u start the car in the morning does it let out a few loud knocks. I recently had a NC mx5 (same style timing gear) with a timing noise, could not remove this 'rattle' by isolating cylinders so assumed it had to be in the timing gear, replaced the VCT gear and OCV, only for the noise to remain. Replaced the Chain, guides and tensioner (cosworth tensioner as the mazda one breaks teeth off its ratchet at high RPM) but the noise persisted. As it was getting louder i retested cylinder isolation and found it was a big end. Never sounded like a big end but without thrust the noise was gone. Pulled the motor down and sure enough big end no1 spun... My advise is goto mazda and get them to drop the oil and check for metal. Check the filter also as its always the best way to check for metal in the oil. Good luck
    Last edited by sheep; 01-10-2011 at 06:56 PM.

That's some good reading there sheep. Thanks!

Fyi i had this fixed under warranty. As it is a known issue you may get lucky outside warranty.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

^^^ Yeah good luck with getting it covered outside of warranty.
    I was 1 month out, and have had multiple problems with the car, I chased it as far a I could for this problem and was still politely told to **** off.

Mazda australia is only destroying the brand image with their actions, never again will I get a Mazda.

.. f*** i think that's what mine sounds like right now AHHHH

Mine was done outside warranty im pretty sure, as was my turbo

Depends on how hard the dealer goes in to bat for you.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

10. Default

^^^ Agreed, ive seen mazda bend over for a new motor and turbo in a cx7 that hadnt been serviced for 70k, and a motor for a sp23 that an ultratune workshop cracked the oil filter housing, i think ur experience with mazda not helping u out VGP is more a dealer issue than mazda australia themselves. normally if u call them yourself to discuss the issue they mostly always come to the party in some way, specially if its a known problem like turbos, VCT gears etc

Nah. Stuff Mazda

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-27.242215,153.000422

Happy Motoring
    duglet

Sent from my Olivetti typewriter