User Tag List

Thread: Different software, different CEL codes?

Default Different software, different CEL codes?

Ok here's some backstory:

I have a CP-e DP, CAI and ECUTEK tune. My car is a 2010 Mazda 3 MPS The car has had these mods fitted for about 10 months and had the tune for about 9.

Last week when driving home from a track day, I had a check engine light come on, the code was P0421 Warm up cat efficiency below threshold.

I took it to tunehouse, had the code cleared and they fitted an O2 sensor extension, I think they also patched the ECUTEK software to either remove or be more tolerant of the P0421 code.

Apparently fitting the O2 sensor extension in the Gen 2 basically causes a permanent P2096 error, this fix worked fine for the Gen 1 but the Gen 2 is a lot more temperamental I have since learned.

Now I am getting a CEL again, and have got my hands on a bluetooth ELM327 to have a read and look at the codes. I was expecting a P2096, but the actual code depends on the software package I am using, the screenshot below shows the ones I have used.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3223840/Phot...gine Codes.png

As you can see, OBD2007 shows what I was expecting, the P2096 code but the other 2 programs I have used are showing a P0120 code which is some completely different bullshit. Now I don't know what to believe, I was expecting the P2096 one but it is getting outvoted by a 2-1 majority in the shitty software stakes.

Which one do I believe here? I've got a feeling something is misinterpreting a hex number as binary or possibly a bit shift is happening somewhere along the way but I have no real way of knowing without taking my car back in to the shop. I have a better scanner on order so once I can liberate myself from the AWFUL windows software I have to use with this bluetooth scanner I will have a bit more confidence in what I need to do to get this CEL to **** off.

Once I figure out/confirm the P2096 code my first order of business will be to get this stupid O2 sensor extension removed and see if the P0421 code returns. CP-e have already offered to replace my CAT free of charge but I don't want to have to go through removing and posting my DP back and forth across the pacific ocean all for the sake of a CEL that bears no real world consequence.

Nasty !

its annoying that you have to take your dump pipe out, as the dump pipe is worth less than the labor to replace it

Col's been getting Cel's only since he put the Sure SRI 3" 2 weeks ago but it comes on and goes away the next day, go figure ??? and he never got cels before that in 4 1/2 years....

Reedy, I don't mean to bang on about this, but have you moved your second O2 sensor after your cat?

it's a CPE DP, supposed to be CEL free

Hence why CP-e have offered to replace the CAT free of charge. It's bad business for them to have me running around forums saying I have a CEL with their DP.

I'd be inclined to believe the P2096 code and ignore the P0120 for the moment.

The wOBD software is pretty old, and pre-dates our cars, so it's probably a data interpretation thing.

If you don't mind trying more software to even that vote count up, here are some links:

OBDSoftware.net - TouchScan OBD-II Trial Software - OBD-II Diagnostic Software

EasyObdII - ScanTool.net OBD-II Elmscan Interface Software (Powered by CubeCart)

"Evaluation" versions of ScanXL are also floating around the net, and you may be able to find the Mazda-specific add on pack for it.

----

Get rid of that extension, see if the original P0421 code comes back, then deal with that. If TH have relaxed the alert parameters for P0421 within your tune the CEL might not come back.

Good offer from CP-e too, but logistically that's a massive PITA. Probably a last resort.

Agreed, shipping the DP back would be an absolute last resort, and even getting a new cat is unlikely to correct the problem anyway.

The P0421 code is caused by the fact the cpe DP only has one cat, and is not burning up exhaust gases properly.

The P0421 code is also harmless and wont cause any performance degredation.

Good to see Cpe coming the party on CEL issues though.

Ok i've got a workmate with torque on his android to read the code, It's definitely a P2096. As expected but good to get it confirmed.

Have you found a fix for the P2096 as yet? Any input would be nice..

I'm pretty concerned that when people are getting their GENII's serviced, the ECU's are being updated/flashed and CELS that were gone before are reappearing.

I haven't had a P2096 for almost 12 months. My service is due this month. I'll be gutted if it returns!

Quote Originally Posted by TD View Post

"Evaluation" versions of ScanXL are also floating around the net, and you may be able to find the Mazda-specific add on pack for it.
    The "evaluation" version on the net only supports up to the 2009 Gen I model and not the Gen II with the Mazda add-on pack. Trust me.

The Add-on pack is only for the reading the extended Mazda specific OBD. Other than that the CEL reading codes appear to work, but I've only ever had one code (a misfire) that read the same on ScanXl and other software. Once cleared it never re-appeared. (I've put this down to bad fuel).
    Trying to keep it subtle ... | COBB AccessPort | COBB DP | CP-e HPFP | CorkSport TMIC | TurboSmart BPV | Denso ITV22| CorkSport Boost Tubes | SURE Full3 Aeros | SURE REM (Street) | SURE AGS SS Shift Knob | 2XS SSP + SURE CounterShift | Speedline Front Strut Brace | Whiteline RSB | Prima Paint Protection