User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check your side engine mounts….NOW!!

Default Check your side engine mounts….NOW!!

As a few of you know I have had a blown drivers side engine mount for a while now (waiting for SU to produce their latest batch of side mounts) , over the weekend I finally fitted the new mounts.

I have attached pics of the mounts, below is the driver side mount (I changed this one first, as this was the easiest, and the most critical if I didn't have time to do both), as you can see the brown fluid has leaked everywhere, the mount itself is structurally sound, the only issue is that the fluid pocket has failed, the fluids only purpose as I understand it is to reduce NVH levels.

Now for the bad part, here is a pic of my passenger side (gearbox) mount, the infamous recall mount that was causing engines to drop, you can see the rubber has nearly torn entirely around the mount, which could have pulled through and caused the engine to drop, let alone considering how much this thing must have been moving around in there.

Here is another pic showing the extent of the tear.

This mount is a bugger to access as it involves supporting the motor with a jack, removing the battery box and associated hardware to access / inspect the mount.

I would recommend that anyone who has an MPS with mods, or a good few k's, either check their mount, or have it checked at the next service, as a precautionary measure.

As a guide, I have most of the bolt on mods and a HT tune, the car has done ~75000 km, and most of my driving is in normal traffic, sure it gets the odd spirited drive, but Im not out there driving it hard every day.
    The factory mounts are obviously grossly inadequate when a but more power is added to the equation, maybe even stock power levels will kill these mounts, I don't think anyone really checks them very often due to the amount of effort involved in accessing them.
    I can't say whether this has been caused by any knock on effects from the failed driver side mount, but as mentioned earlier I doubt this would be the case as the rubber is intact, maybe all these tougher rear mounts we are all running around fitting are just transferring the force to the next point of weakness, being the transmission mount.

And for those who are going to ask, the new mounts are a bit rough and noisy (as is expected from new mounts), but after having driven another MPS with these fitted, I know they do settle down quite a lot. The car certainly feels a lot more connected, especially when the entire drivetrain isn't flopping around hopelessly, and there is a notable increase in gearbox noise, 2nd gear currently sounds like a dog box has been installed, but this will also settle down with the vibes, although it will still be louder than it was on the stock mounts.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character - give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln

Scary stuff. Will ask my dealership on the next service what the GO is

Thanks again

Peter "SLIXX"

Only really affected Gen I's Pete.

But probably not such a bad idea to keep tabs on them as the car starts to age. Can't be too careful

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk

I get a squeal noise every time i turn the wheel at idle (as revs slightly increase) and if i lightly touch the throttle... Is this a engine mount related noise? I've got a sure rem but was considering these mounts as well.

Thoughts?

Thanks for the info as well

Not power steering related maybe? ^

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk

Possibly but makes same noise as i gently hit the gas not a massive issue but would like to know what it is lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Possibly but makes same noise as i gently hit the gas not a massive issue but would like to know what it is lol
    Won't be an engine mount, sounds like an accessory drive belt is the source of your squeal.

--------

Good post Matt, will check my mounts out this weekend. Thanks for posting.

possibly loose? or fraying?

ive been suspect of my passenger side mount for a while now, so i ordered a whole set of engine mounts + sure diff brace and mount , received them today and will post the results esp. the side mounts when they get replaced.

Where did you get the side mounts ray? I've looked and I can't find any aftermarket ones.. unless ofc you're talking about OEM?

11. Default

Found out my gearbox mount is on its way out ! :-(
    Not sure if ill go the cpe or su mounts yet!

Yeah i think ill replace mine too could there be a possible group buy from SU?

Would there be any objections to Street Unit side and tranny mount compared to CP-E

13. Default

I did mine the other day... Car feels like a tractor !! And a few noises I hadn't herd before!

I'm sure it will settle though!

Sent from my GT-I9100T

Street Unit or CP-E?

Street unit is about $500 shipped and well CP-E is like $800

15. Default

Cpe mate

Sent from my GT-I9100T

I've got a front left knocking noise which the dealer diagnosed as the gearbox mount is failing. car is still under warranty but they wont do a warranty job cause I had an aftermarket rem. I've had enough with dealerships. they look for every possible reason not to do it under warranty.

think I might stay with the stock as I've heard that aftermarket gearbox mounts increases the gearbox whine dramatically, which sucks or are there any that are better than stock but not completely ear shattering?

17. Default

Where do you live ??

Sent from my GT-I9100T

Me? Bris

19. Default

Was just going to show you my car with the mounts... But I'm in syd... Sorry

Sent from my GT-I9100T

Does anyone have a part no for the gen1 mps 3? Ive called 4 dealerships and each one has given me a diff part no!?

Petercass, how's the noise and vibrations with the cpe mount? Did u get both sides?
    Last edited by lup15; 26-10-2011 at 04:29 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast