User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confused about tmic

Default Confused about tmic

After reviewing the threads containing information about aftermarket TMICs im confused whether they are a worthwhile mod
    If they get the same heatsoak as the stock item what would be the point of putting one on or am i not reading the info correctly
    Any opinion would be welcome as i have been toying with the idea of getting the CP-E TMIC
    Have started to get the improvement bug after reading everybody elses mod stories-have bought SURE rem new turbo inlet pipe-SURE shortcut and CP-e DP
    Hence the queries about the TMIC as would like to do everthing at about the same time
    All this is for an 08 mps3
    thanks anyone for your input
    ps i sometimes get information overload and feel a lot out of my depth

go fmic if ur worried about heatsoak

the extra metal from an aftermarket TMIC slows the rate of heat soak
    i run a hyperflow TMIC on my 08, and the only times you get heatsoak are the times when you dont need the grunt anyways (ie, traffic)

I was in the same boat as you, TMIC because its easy switch and the relative pressure drop is an improvement over stock unit. Also improvements in design mean that they dont suffer the same amount of heat soak as stock, as SarcasticOne mentions, also the temp drops far more dramatically once you start moving with an aftermarket TMIC compared to stock (i've heard).

Only downside to TMIC is that to get one from the states is nearly $650ish and the hyperflow i believe is nearly $900 which put them very close to the FMIC intercooler kits you can get.

I recently asked HP-F about trying to get better top end power and leave the mid range as it is and they said either way they wouldn't recommend anything else apart from a Front Mount.
    MPSX-treme

2006 MPS Sports True Red - HP-F Mazedit tune + Other go fast bits - DGR Coilovers + Semi Slicks - Numerous Sure Motorsport Additions - Dashhawk

i paid about 440 aud for my cp-e tmic, delivered..

i went top mount over front mount because of lag and price.

the effects of heat soak arn't really noticed untill you actually stop your car, go about your day for an hour or so, then jump back in and drive - the TMIC is so hot there is just very small amounts of torque... but it goes back to normal temp in about 3-5 minutes of normal driving so its not too bad...

Anyway - With the stock turbo i'd say definatley go with the front mount, the stock K04 can do with a little more lag time - since it is at full boost at something silly like 2300rpm... but im quite happy with my choice of bigger TMIC since i went the bigger turbo, the lag is manageable, its cost effective, and MUCH less chance of copping a defect

Quote Originally Posted by raymondato View Post
    i paid about 440 aud for my cp-e tmic, delivered..

i went top mount over front mount because of lag and price.
    Wow nice work mate... Prices i got were nearly $600 was this a group buy?
    MPSX-treme

2006 MPS Sports True Red - HP-F Mazedit tune + Other go fast bits - DGR Coilovers + Semi Slicks - Numerous Sure Motorsport Additions - Dashhawk

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Wow nice work mate... Prices i got were nearly $600 was this a group buy?
    just as an aside - im actually surprised at the prices MPSGarage have for there TMIC , its actually pretty good!

i paid 350 us for the top mount and 100ish US for shipping, definitely under $500 aud.

that was a special introductory price from cpe website (which seems to be have been going for months now!)

I have a fmic and i dont believe the lag is that bad, def notice the difference from the stock tmic.

Some good comments here, which I might add to.

Heat soak is a bit of a misunderstood subject. It occurs when a vehicle stops and the flow of cooling air also stops. It doesn't only affect intercoolers, it affects brakes, fuel systems, batteries and other systems.

An aftermarket intercooler usually has more mass, which means more thermal inertia – or resistance to temperature change. It will take longer to get hot, but when it does get hot it will take longer to cool down.

Heat soak needs to be put into proper perspective. It only occurs when air flow stops. The TMIC core will typically climb from 30 degrees to around 70 degrees after the engine is stopped. But if the engine is stopped; temperature of the TMIC core is obviously irrelevant. The other concern is when driving in heavy traffic and the resulting low speed reduces airflow causing the core temp to rise. Well, if you look at that situation logically, you’re stuck in traffic travelling at low speed and unless you’re planning to do some line-lockers to break the boredom the reduction in peak power at 5500rpm is also irrelevant.

Finally, and contrary to popular myth, a FMIC is not immune from heat soak. It’s a heat exchanger that is placed a few mm from an airconditioning condenser and a radiator, which as you may have guessed, is radiating heat. When the airflow stops, the FMIC will conduct heat from these adjacent heat sources and become heat soaked.

Forget the advertising crap; heat soak happens. The entire car will become heat soaked when it stops, including the intercooler, whichever one you have. If you’re trying to decide between a TMIC and FMIC I would suggest the criteria that matter most are cost and difficulty of installation because the other things tend to balance out and make them fairly equal.

Gone to Volvo

thanks everyone information as usual excellent
    Will go with the TMIC seems more cost effective and easier to fit

13. Default

interesting read!, including kmh001's comments

14. Default

I have a cpe tmic
    When I get home I have to drive 3 levels down underground with obviously very little airflow going at around walking pace (3-5min)

When I get our out the car and touch the intercooler the cold side is still at least half the temp of the turbo side...and I can even leave my hand resting on the cold side where as the back would burn me in seconds... I'm thinking that this shows that the tmic it's doing a pretty fking good job
    Sent from my GT-I9100T

I've also got the Cpe TMIC and love it, it's much bigger than the standard TMIC and great quality. I got my one for $420 USD delivered to Scotland. Great value for money! Makes my engine bay complete

I love your engine bay.. You need a red strut bar now :P

Quote Originally Posted by High on PSI View Post
    I love your engine bay.. You need a red strut bar now :P
    The Mazda 6 doesn't have struts.

Strut brace.. yes it does lol

Accepting all the relevant information above, there are two other points to make:

1. Not all inter-coolers are created equal. There are two basic designs - Bar and Plate and Tube and Fin types. You may seek to replace your stock design with an alternative that not only has greater internal volume but also greater cooling capability, but remember this may not be the same as cooling efficiency (i.e. you may get a cooler that reduces your temps by more degrees but it is not as efficient in % terms at doing so as another cooler).
    2. Generally speaking, a TMIC is much simpler to fit than an FMIC with the longer and more convoluted plumbing that necessitates removal of the front bumper and often, deletion of the existing air-box, resonator and filter, if stock.

A good FMIC is way preferable to a comparable TMIC if you want maximum cooling and are prepared to pay the price and put up with the fiddle of getting it all set up nicely. It can come with some headaches, such as dealing with the much larger volume of air being moved around. It is mounted way out in front in the cleanest air possible and gets the benefit of the airflow first. The numbers will come closer together on a consistent open road run, but in traffic, the FMIC generally keeps its cool better, as any relevant comparison of Boost Air Temps will prove this, against any TMIC that you can sensibly fit in your engine bay. KMNH001's comments are perfectly valid too, and I even note that there is potential for the longer FMIC plumbing to expose induction air to engine bay temps, but generally the core is not normally subject to such high temps as with a TMIC. One might say that TMIC's are really mounted in the worst possible place for a device intended to provide a cooling interface, although in the case of the MPS's, the ram air from the bonnet scoops helps to offset this when running.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Quote Originally Posted by High on PSI View Post
    Strut brace.. yes it does lol
    Technically speaking no it doesn't. The 6 does not have struts, therefore it doesn't have a strut brace.
    Technically it would best be described as an "upper engine bay brace" or "skirt brace"
    But to save confusion and getting into technical discussion about front suspension designs, we stick with the term "strut brace"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast